Help with Settings

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
Maryaren

Help with Settings

Postby Maryaren » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:55 pm

Hi,

I searched for posts on settings, but I want to make sure that they are ok for my purpose which is to project my ProShow slideshow on a big screen at a social activity. I don't know what the ideal settings would be for this type of presentation. My Show settings show 800 x 600.

I've only created a couple of short shows, but I've been asked to make a dvd slide show for this activity and it has 118 slides. I created a dvd and it works ok on my computer, but froze a bit on my tv and my husband's notebook. This has me very nervous. I just ran it on my computer and it ran ok, but I notice that when I first open it, I can feel a lot of acceleration in my PC. It will stick on the same first photo in my husbands notebook. I checked the time on the transition and they are all second, no minutes like I've read here in the forum, can cause a problem.

I created an ISO and burned with Roxio. I just installed imgburn and will try with it too.

Now, I would REALLY appreciate, if someone could post me ideal settings for a dvd show (In the create/dvd options). I notice that in the DVD option there also is a tab for Executables. Does these settings affect the DVD? I remember seeing something about executable being loaded, when the show starts up, I think. I had created an executable before and have changed the settings there and am wondering, if this affects my DVD? What are the ideal settings for executables?

I would really appreciate your help as I've volunteered for this charity event and want to do a good job. I'm really terrified that the slide will start jumping or not work!

Thank you very much!

Gloria

Esteemed Member

Re: Help with Settings

Postby Merlin_AZ » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:56 am

The "Executable" tab on the DVD settings allows you to control the number of playbacks, etc.
For playing the show, you won't need to do anything on that tab.

Will you be playing/projecting the slideshow using a laptop connected to a projector?
If so, I would create an .exe file as output, and try that, run full-screen.
It will play off the hard drive, and will be less likely to be influenced by the disk in the disk drive which can at times be finicky, and that's the last thing you need last minute.

Postby yancanuk » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:41 am

Hi Maryaren

I wonder why you chose to create an ISO and burn it with another piece of software. I did a slideshow for my son's wedding which was projected using an EXE file on a laptop. I've done a couple for their daughter as well, and each time I burned directly to DVD using Proshow. I have not had a problem with any of them. The latest show was 146 slides and 16+ minutes.

Here are the settings for my last show.

On the Menu tab, I used Aspect 4:3, because that was the format I used for the slideshow. If you set up you slideshow using 16:9, then that's what you would choose for Aspect.

Under the Options tab, for DVD Type, I selected DVD HQ (High Qulity - Safe) (prbably the default)
... for Video Standard, I used NTCS. If you are in Europe, you would use PAL.
... for Audio Format, I chose MP2. I don't know what PCM would be used for.
... for DVD Output Formats, I checked the Anti-flicker and Desaturation boxes, and Desaturation is set at 80%.

(These are probably the defaults set by the progam)

... for Video Clip Output Portions, I selected Normal Quality.

Under the Burning tab, for Disc Options, I chose the slowest speed and the Disc Type was DVD Media. I left everything else alone on the rest of that page.

I didn't enter anything else before clicking on the Create button. If you include an EXE file, using the Executable tab, I think that means that the disk can be used in a PC and the show run from there in addition to playing it on a DVD. You can also choose to include the files that you used to make up the slideshow so that they are saved on the disk for posterity.

Hope this helps.

Jim

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:56 pm

Wow :shock: first post and a whopper :)

First welcome! and let's tackle the list where I can add something to the responses you already have.

The first is to amplify Jim's point. If you're planning to use this show projected from a computer then don't make a DVD at all. You'll get lower quality and possible problems with the playback. It's good to have that as a just-in-case backup, but "plan A" should be to make an EXE. There are a number of discussion threads here on the settings for getting the best results for both DVD and EXE but the quick version for an EXE is to match the capabilities of the projector's native resolution. If you don't know, a reasonable guess is 1024x768*. On the Create Executable screen use that native resolution or best guess for window size, start maximized. Rendering limit and resizing can also be set to that (tho' the resizing can be left unchecked and it will have no impact). Put the quality settings to high. It's also a good idea to then set the laptop or PC's display resolution to match whatever you chose for the EXE's resolution. In theory that now has the EXE matching the video resolution on the laptop which matches the projector. By the way, it will work even if you don't do that but one or more conversions will have to happen somewhere along the way and some loss of image quality is likely.

Now if you do want the DVD format in addition, the settings there are somewhat your choice but to get best quality you'd set DVD type and Encoding quality to the highest choice. The result will be as good as a DVD can get but will not match what the EXE can do. As already stated, ignore the Executable tab -- basically it's going to put and EXE on the DVD which doesn't give you anything extra in this case. When making the DVD doing the ISO write as you did is a good idea--far too many folks have had issues making the DVD within ProShow for us to trust that.

*note: this means the show should ideally have been built with a 4:3 aspect ration vice the widescreen setting.

Hope that helps.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Maryaren

Postby Maryaren » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:02 pm

Oh, my goodness, I'm so happy to see these replies! Thank you very much Merlin, Jim and Dick! Thanks for the welcome too :-)

I am going to print your replies and digest it all. I can see that you all agree I should make a exe. Yes, I THINK, that I will be using a laptop and a projector. The thing is that I'm not sure yet. I had told the President of the Association that I wanted a test drive before the activity and she is having a hard time getting the projector :-( I have created a dvd with autorun. I don't know, if I did it correctly, but it's working on my computer and dvd player. I finally got it to work on my husband's computer by FIRST opening a dvd player program, because it would freeze upon the first image in the slideshow, if I didn't. I did have Autorun checked there and frankly, I don't remember what settings I had. I think I had written 1024 x 768.

Responding to the ISO question, I did it, because I've read it so many times here in the group, trying to learn as much as I could in such a short time. I do have a wedding photographer friend that always burns with ProShow and also has no problem. I was just trying to make sure. I like that Imgburn tells you, if there is an error on the disk.

I still confused about the Executable tab in the Create DVD, but will study your replies. My images are all 3888 x 2592 and all those options confuse me, if I click on Autorun., but if I want an Executable, like you recommend, all I have to do is click on Creat/Executable. My worry is that clicking on Limit Rendering Size at 1024 x 768, it will limit the zooms I have in the slideshow??

I am including a screenshot of what I understand are your suggestions.

Thank you soooooooo much!

Gloria

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:26 pm

Ignore the executable section on the DVD output! For what you're doing, you don't want that--what it builds is equivalent to the standalone EXE but ends up on the DVD. For your purpose you don't need to make the DVD at all--you can do so but that's not how you want to run the slide show.

Just select the output that says "PC Executable" to make the standalone EXE output and run that on the computer like any other program while it's hooked up to the projector. The settings you have will work but assume the projector is 1024x768. It probably supports that but might not be limited to that. If you can find out what it can do then use the best it supports, but yes, those will work. Keep in mind that the "Loop Show" won't have any effect if you have a menu--that's for a case for running the slide show starts immediately and runs forever--might or might not be what you want.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Maryaren

Postby Maryaren » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:28 am

Thanks so much! I will work on that tonight!

Yes, I want it to loop as I will be photographing the event and the President wants it to loop. I will not include a menu.

I'm working on trying to get the projector's resolution.

You guys have been incredibly helpful! Thanks sooooooooo much!!!

Have a great day!

Gloria

Maryaren

Postby Maryaren » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:28 pm

Good evening!

I forgot to ask. If I have several images that zoom in and the original images are 3888 x 2592 and let's suppose that the projector's resolution is 1600 x 900 (guessing here). If I use this projector resolution in the Window Size and Rendering boxes, will it affect the zooming in on my images?

I'm supposed to get the projector's resolution shortly and on Monday I will test it on the projector. If they don't give me the projector resolution, I'm going with the 1024 x 768. What I'm worried is that the zooming in won't be noticeable??

Thanks!

Gloria

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:34 pm

Don't worry about that part. The zoom is happening at the time the video for the EXE or the DVD is created. As long as you started with enough pixels in the image (and you are) you'll fine.

You've probably seen it but this
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6024
has more information on the whole issue.

Don't forget that with the EXE the simple way to check it out is just create an EXE and run it. The projector won't look as good as what you see on the monitor but it probably won't be too far off.

Dick

Maryaren

Postby Maryaren » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:47 pm

Thank you, Dick. I'm saving all this info for the future :-)

I'll check out that thread.

Gloria

Maryaren

Postby Maryaren » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:52 am

Hi,

I made the executable with the settings in the screen shot and it still will fail, when the first photo comes up on my husband's notebook. I just tested it on my computer too and it flickered and stopped at the first photo too:-( We both have two gigs of ram. The DVD at 4:3 work ok on both.

I made the executable and burned it to a dvd with Roxio. I then double clicked the executable in the Notebook.

The introduction with text runs fine, until it gets to the first photo.

If I get this executable to function, is there a way for it to Autorun and not have a menu. I can't find the option to delete the Menu I had made for it.

Thank you,

Gloria

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:47 am

Gloria

Don't run the executable from a DVD. Load the executable onto the hard drive and run from there. The data transfer rate from the DVD drive is too slow.

Hope this helps
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Maryaren

Postby Maryaren » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:14 pm

Great! I will try that, Brian. Thank you very much!

Maryaren

Postby Maryaren » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:49 pm

Update!

I copied the exe to the laptop's desktop and it played better, but choked a bit. I let it play to the end (it would stop before) so it would be also in the computer's memory or whatever and that did the trick. I just played it all the way through without any choking!! I feel much better now! On Monday, I will perform a test drive with the projector that is going to be used. If it has a better resolution, I will make the changes.

Thanks so much for all of you that contributed to helping me out!

Gloria

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:16 pm

Hope all goes well on Monday :D let us know.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Next

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks