Down load show to DVD that will work on DVD Player

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
ewgregory1

Down load show to DVD that will work on DVD Player

Postby ewgregory1 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:38 am

Hellow everyone,

I am new to this and not sure what type of disc to bye so that I can down load my slide show to a show that i can play in my DVD player. I bought a CD-R and it doesnt work in the DVD player. Also how do you down load the show to a memory stick? These may seem like stupid questions, but like I said I am new to this.

thank you for you help.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: Down load show to DVD that will work on DVD Player

Postby TinaJ » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:24 pm

There are (or were) some dvd players that would play cds but you would have to try it to see. That is how I got one that did both. But as shows got longer and more intricate, space became an issue so now just use dvds. People here seem to like Verbatim and Ty---something, not sure. I use Memorex, HP, and don't have problems. Sometimes that is just trial and error, what works in one burner or dvd player may not in another. I couldn't use Sony dvds in a sony burner, which made no sense to me.

I've never tried to put a show on a stick, are you talking about creating on a computer and then moving to another computer to continue the work? You would also have to have the pictures, music and files that were created when making the show. From what I understand, if you create an iso it still needs to be burned to a disk to be played, I don't know that you can put an iso on a memory stick to play on another computer as a show, but I may have missed something there.
Tina
PSG 3, PSP 4, Photoshop CS, Sony Alpha 200,
Grade 2/3 teacher
Somebody's Nanny all the time!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:15 pm

First, welcome aboard!

If you're intending to play it in a DVD player then you need DVD media (and the hardware to write, "burn," the DVD).

As for USB memory, we'll need some more info on what you want to do with it ti know how to help with that.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby duglas50 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:38 pm

Your better off burning your shows to DVD's. There has been alot of discussion on this forum as to what type of DVD is more compatible DVD-R or DVD+R and what brand of disks to use. Under normal conditions both formats are about equal with 80 to 90% of modern DVD players capable of reading them if encoded and burned properly. To improve compatibility issues though I would use DVD+R disks because they are able to take advantage of bitsetting. Bitsetting changes the identity to that of a replicated (stamped) DVD which is identified as a DVD-ROM that most if not all DVD players can read.

As far as brand Verbatim and Tayio Yuden seem to be the best with fewer issues.

If you want to save a show to your memory stick I believe the only way you could show it on a TV would be through a Sony Playstation 3 but you would first have to create an HD video. You can go here http://www.photodex.com/support/resources/howto/hd and here http://www.photodex.com/support/resourc ... aystation3 at the Photo Dex web site to learn more about that.

Doug
Family Heritage Photography
http://www.familyheritagephotography.com
    Producer 5.0, Photoshop Elements 14, Lightroom 6, Adobe Premiere Elements 9, Topaz Adjust, Portrait Professional, On1 Photo 10, ImgBurn, Audacity, Nikon D7200, D5000

ewgregory1

Postby ewgregory1 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:08 am

This is great info from all.

I tried to burn a dvd yesturday on a DVD+R and all i got on the dvd player was the first slide. It was like the dvd player was stuck. Do you know what i could be doing wrong?

Postby duglas50 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:04 pm

I tried to burn a dvd yesturday on a DVD+R and all i got on the dvd player was the first slide. It was like the dvd player was stuck. Do you know what i could be doing wrong?

How are you burning your DVD? Most of us first create an ISO image in Pro Show and use a third party program ImgBurn to burn the DVD.

Doug
Family Heritage Photography
http://www.familyheritagephotography.com
    Producer 5.0, Photoshop Elements 14, Lightroom 6, Adobe Premiere Elements 9, Topaz Adjust, Portrait Professional, On1 Photo 10, ImgBurn, Audacity, Nikon D7200, D5000

ewgregory1

Postby ewgregory1 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:18 am

How are you burning your DVD? Most of us first create an ISO image in Pro Show and use a third party program ImgBurn to burn the DVD.

Doug[/quote]

On the top right a window that pulls down says burn to DVD. Is this the right spot? I burned one yesturday on a DVD-r and it worked great. What is ISO maybe this is something I need to learn.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:07 pm

ewgregory1 wrote:...I tried to burn a dvd yesturday on a DVD+R and all i got on the dvd player was the first slide. It was like the dvd player was stuck...

We need some more info. Describe exactly what you're seeing when you say that. Also, does the show render okay to an EXE and then play successfully? If you play the DVD on the computer does it work?

As already noted if you're not making an ISO file as part of the process we'd recommend that. If the render completes and writes the DVD that may not matter in this case but its a good idea.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby gLynda » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:22 am

ewgregory1 wrote:

I'm not sure if this is the same problem, but if your slide show seems "stuck" did you try to hit "Play" or "Enter" on your DVD controls? I know this sounds a little simplistic, but ...

I just completed a show for the local high school marching band 2009 season. I got this interesting email saying that I had provided a parent with a "defective" disk and they needed a replacement as they expected to see pictures of the kids! Their description of the problem was that they just keeping seeing a "flashing" title and could hear the music from the band. Yep, they sat there for 10 minutes watching the title slide and never told it to "play". When I suggested that they try that, the reply I received was ... "that seemed to work"!

I tested my DVDs burned from an ISO on many different players before I distributed to a fairly large order knowing that I would be up against many different types of players. I tried old ones, up-scale players, even a Blu-ray and on several different computer programs as well. They all acted differently. Some DVD players required an "enter" on the remote and not "play." Others, I just hit the standard "Play" button and off it went! On the computers well that was different! Some programs needed the "enter" and some you had to put the mouse on the "title" area and click! I had one program that just played it and skipped the title sequence completely.

So, it's not that there is something wrong with your show or necessarily how you burned it to the disk. It's just that nothing is standard on the "playing" end of the spectrum. :)

gLynda
gLynda

It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
Albert Einstein

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks