Best Resolution on a 50" Screen

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
youngone

Best Resolution on a 50" Screen

Postby youngone » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:31 am

Hey All

One last question if I may in regards to Pro Show gold, getting the best resolution from my slideshows?

OK, I have mac's so I am using VMWare (Latest edition) to use the Pro Show Gold software to create my slideshows, then I output to a DVD using 1920x1080 I have selected on the "Executable" tab in the output menu - I burn to DVD and then am using my MacBook Pro to play the DVD onto my Panasonic Vierra 50" screen - a lot of the images do not look sharp when compared to viewing them on my laptop screen. Admittedly the laptop screen is only 15" so there is a big difference between that and the 50" I am viewing on the TV screen - but I am wondering if I am missing something.

Would the fact that I am playing a DVD from my laptop and then using HDMI to connect to the TV be downsizing the show at all ? Is there a better way to be showing these images? I have tried to output to a disk image, but then you seem to need a codec plug-in to be able to view the slideshow which I did not purchase cause I did not know if it would make any difference.

Any advice greatly appreciated - the TV is full HD 1920x1080 so unless I don't have that TV set right I think the problem lies with either my laptop DVD playing abilities or ProShow gold ??

Cheers
Chris

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Best Resolution on a 50" Screen

Postby briancbb » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:41 am

Chris

A DVD is encoded at 720 x 480 pixels (or near enough depending on which part of the world you are in, you do not say in your profile). Either your DVD Player or TV is upscaling this low resolution to HD, hence the 'fuzzy' picture. You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

youngone

Postby youngone » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:58 am

OK that makes sense cause I saw that resolution on the output menu but in the executable screen I had it set at 1920x1080 ?

So if DVD is less quality how do I use ProShow Gold to output at the 1920x1080 resolution and then be able to link to my TV at that better quality ? Or do I need to buy a blue ray burner and blu-ray player for the TV ?

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:13 am

youngone wrote:OK that makes sense cause I saw that resolution on the output menu but in the executable screen I had it set at 1920x1080 ?

So if DVD is less quality how do I use ProShow Gold to output at the 1920x1080 resolution and then be able to link to my TV at that better quality ? Or do I need to buy a blue ray burner and blu-ray player for the TV ?

At the bare minimum you will need a Blu-Ray Player. Then if your show is small enough, you can use a work around to burn it to a regular DVD using a regular burner. Search the forum and you will find instructions on how to do this.

The ideal solution is a Blu-Ray Burner and Player.

Regards,
-Vernon

youngone

Postby youngone » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:15 am

OK guys, so is there no way I can project through my MacBook Pro a 1920x1080 quality show that will display at those settings through my TV ?

If not I guess I have to buy a blu ray player and burner to get this quality?

I need the best quality as I will be projecting lots of slideshows for clients, but the problem is how many of them will have a blu ray player? I would prefer to project a blu ray quality and give them a DVD quality copy so they can at least use it?

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:43 am

Not familiar with the MacBook Line, but does it support an HDMI connection? If so, then it might work. It was not clear from your previous post that you wanted to drive the television from your portable computer. In general, the Macs have great output capability, so it most likely should work.

Wait.......
I did a little more checking. It seems that you need a DVI-D HDMI converter and an audio cable. See the you-tube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvQrQqKRDpM

http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2

youngone

Postby youngone » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:06 pm

Thanks heaps Vernon, so been doing a little research myself and this is where I am at.

I think?? I can do it, what I am doing at the moment is outputting from ProShow Gold at the moment as a Video File as a HD high quality file which I think will create a Mpeg2 file, which I am guessing I might be able to then watch on my laptop and project this through my laptop onto to 50" screen.

Yes you are right, I have the HDMI converter cable so that is all sorted and I have tested it and it works fine.

I have also read that I can burn a Mpeg2 file to a standard DVD via Toast 10 but it will be in HD if I play it in a standard Blu-Ray player - but if it is played on a DVD player it will only be in the normal DVD quality.

Does this sound right to anyone?

I guess the main thing is that I can project a 1920x1080 quality show onto my TV screen for viewing, even if I just then create a copy on a standard DVD to give to the client, unless they have a blu-ray player in which case I will need to buy a blu-ray burner to offer this option.

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:13 pm

youngone wrote:.. unless they have a blu-ray player in which case I will need to buy a blu-ray burner to offer this option.

Actually, no. You can burn Blu-Ray content onto a standard DVD using a standard DVD burner. It will then only be playable on a Blu-Ray player. It will not be playable on a standard DVD player. As long as the content will fit onto a standard DVD you should be fine.

Check out the thread below for details on how to do this:

Blu-Ray content on standard DVD

Mike

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:21 pm

Glad to see you have the projection from the PC to TV worked out. Mike has provided a link to one of the discussions I referenced in my first post. At a bare minimum, you will need a blu-ray player to play the HD DVD. The fact that you are able to project from your PC to the TV is because you are playing the raw source file from your hard drive. I hope that helps to clear things up a bit more for you.

Regards,
-Vernon

youngone

Postby youngone » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:30 pm

Thanks Mike, so I guess I am on the right track?

I'm outputting a Video HD file, which I think will give me a mpeg 2 file ? So to view this on my mac operating system I think I will just need the quicktime mpeg2 plug-in, which once I have I could then project onto my 50" screen via HDMI and it will be at the 1920x1080 quality ?? Correct ??

If I then ask the client if they have blu-ray or a standard DVD player I can burn either, if they have the standard DVD player I can use the normal dvd burn in ProShow Gold - if they have a blu-ray player then I can use your instructions on the link you provided.

One question, what if you only have proshow gold, you mentioned that you could burn a HD DVD in Producer but did not mention if this is possible in the standard GOLD version ?

Thanks heaps !

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:36 pm

youngone wrote: you mentioned that you could burn a HD DVD in Producer but did not mention if this is possible in the standard GOLD version ?

When you say HD DVD I'm assuming you mean Blu-Ray DVD. Yes, you can do that with Gold or Producer using the same settings as I've shown in the link above.

Mike

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:40 pm

Why buy the plug-in when you can create an EXE for your PC and just play it? You could burn the HD Mpeg file for the blu-ray if you desire. Gold can output Blu-Ray compatible files.

You can check the features/specs for Gold and Producer at the Photodex Website here: http://www.photodex.com/products/proshow/gold/compare

Regards,
-Vernon

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:46 pm

I got caught up in the Blu-Ray output part of your questions and forgot to comment on something else. As Vernon noted above, why not just create an EXE for your show and play that on the computer for your clients? This gives you the best quality without having to jump through all the hoops. If and when you need to make copies of the show for your clients you can then ask them which format they prefer for their DVD.

Mike

youngone

Postby youngone » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:31 pm

Thanks heaps everyone, I think I have got it sorted !!

Ended up doing exactly as suggested, I output a video file which I can then play on the screen and I will ask the clients in advance what type of machine they have, if it is a DVD I will make that, if it is a Blu-ray I will follow the link that Mike posted.

Thanks heaps, you are all legends, can not thank you enough !
Cheers
Chris

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks