Splitting a show in two!

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Splitting a show in two!

Postby weebolddavy » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:00 am

Hi folks

I would be grateful if someone could share their wisdom with me. For the past three weeks I've been working
on almost 600 photos I took at a wedding for a client and over the past few days I've been putting them into PSG to give my client their proofs to view on a DVD. Only when I had finished loading the photos onto the show I realised that the show was 39 minutes long! No matter how good my photography is I doubt if anyone would want to sit through all 39 minutes several times to select the photos they would like to purchase!
Is there any way I can cut the show into two or three chapters without having to rebuild chapters 2 and 3 from scratch? Also I've never tried having more than one show onto a DVD :oops: , would I need to buy RW DVDs or can all 3 chapters (shows) be put on a standard R-DVD all at the same time?

Many thanks

Davy
Even the longest journey starts with a single step

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Splitting a show in two!

Postby DickK » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:35 pm

You can't build 'chapters,' per se, in ProShow but you can split the show and then include all the shows on the DVD.

You're correct, however, about everyone watching 39 mins of show. Generally a 10 min show is about ideal but you can stretch that to around 15-20 min but beyond that is going to be an invitation for a nap ;)

Splitting the show is easy. Load the show and save a copy under a new and obvious name so you'll have the full version protected. Decide where you want the first one to end, delete everything after that point and save it with a new name, <my show part 1> or whatever. Reload the full version and delete the part you just saved as part 1 and save it as <my show part 2>. And just repeat that if you want more parts.

When you make the DVD you'll select all the shows for the DVD and set up a menu with thumbnails for each show arranged however you want them. There should also be a "Play All" and "Loop All" show up (you can deselect them but I'd use them) and now you can play any one show or all of them. Otherwise there's no difference in the process--it will render all three creating a DVD directly or an ISO whichever you use.

Hope that helps.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby weebolddavy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:46 am

Hi Dick

Thanks very much for that, it's so very simple I don't know how I never thought of it. :oops: In the past I've saved different versions of shows using this method. I think I've been sitting behind my PC for too long and got myself into autopilot in Photoshop.

Thanks once more

Davy :D

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:59 pm

Not to worry. It always amazes me how obvious stuff is--after it was explained and totally mysterious before.

And if you asked the question there are a few hundred others out there who'll read it and go "ohhhhhh... now I get it". And that's okay but we know who you are ;)

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks