Sort images by creation time

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
snapper

Sort images by creation time

Postby snapper » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:50 am

OK,

Just about to ask if anyone had a technique for sorting by image creation time rather than name (I use two or three cameras at an event sometimes, and image numbering isn't as importnat as time as I catlogue using other data rather than the filename) - and I chceked out the new build, and it allows more sorting options in the folder list than I remeber before, including modified time.

So I can now build shows in sequence, without having to kludge the filenames so that the sort order was correct. :D

Actually, it's not so good. It's the file modified time, not the file creation time nor is it the EXIF data - so I'm back to the kludge...

Which is...
1. Either in a catalogue programme (eg iView or using explorer and extended attributes) copy the files to a new directory.
2. Reanme (using your favorite renaming programme - I use flash renamer) using a sequence that tha files are in the view you're using.
3. Make show in sequence.

But remember, that at some point you may need to refer back to the original file. So either embed this in the new name e.g SEQNO_orgi_name.jpg, or save it in the IPTC data that you embed in the file.

I'm off to rename loads of files!

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:48 am

For what it's worth, I rename ALL pictures from my cameras. I use the following
scheme:
Each year has a folder with 12 folders in there for the months labeled as 01_Jan,
02_Feb etc (so they sort the way I want).

Pictures are named DC_070824_1643_24_jan.jpg for example which translates to
"DC_" - Digital Camera (clever huh?), 070824 is 2007, August 24th, 4:43 PM and
24 seconds. "_jan" indicates it came from my wife's camera. I used to use
PIE to do the renaming, but just recently found a new one called "Set Name To Time"
for $15. You define the rule for the file name structure (it is created from the EXIF
data). The new one I got has two new features I REALLY like -- it allows you to
include the "model" of the camera in your rule (from the EXIF) and it has a string
substitution feature, so I can define a string sub for each camera model and associate
that with the name of the person using that camera. This format allows them to sort
in chronological order (unless you screw up like I did a couple of years ago and
have one on standard time and one on daylight time ... sigh).

I gave up long ago trying to name pictures with meaningful names - I had 1,400+
of just the swim team this year. I went with a name derived from the EXIF timestamp
and have found it works very well (and since it is created from the EXIF information by
a set of rules in the utility, I can change the format if I want and rename the whole
bunch easily).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

snapper

Postby snapper » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:17 am

Mikey,

Yes, I rename them all too - but still retain the image sequence number in the name somewhere - it's a piece of original data. So it acts as a sort field for my images in PSP

Like you I file by Year/Month, though I use a subfolder for each day's shooting, and then a project below that:
Code: Select all
 - 2007-09-23
  -  someshootname

But I rely on a cataloging program for the other data I need. There's so much info, it's hard to get it all in a name (I often shoot at 5 or 8 frames per second - so your naming would fall down there - thouh I stll have the right info in the EXIF). Currently I use iView Media Pro (Now expression media from microsoft). But I'm also looking hard at using aperture as well.

For some things I use Downloader Pro, from Breeze systems. hat allows you to use tokens to substitute the camera make and model into the name string. It will go as far as allowing you to have differnt name strings for different cameras of the same model - idetified by unique info in the EXIf HEADER. That's really useful for me at large events where I may have tow shooters with the same model of camera. Using downloader I put some intelligence in the filename so that I can identify very quickly who shot the image. But I still rely on iView for finding the images later. My Event co can shoot 5/6000 images a day at some events!

But, as far as I'm concerned you have to do it the way that works for you. DAM (Digital Asset managment is a science, as well as a lot of Folklore. For more info have a look at Peter Krogh's DAM book, and Peter Reichs controlled vocabulary stuff. More importantly, do it the way it makes sense to you and stick to it - for quite q while at least. The more you change the way you do it the more you lose!

Back to the point - ProShow shoud be able to use the EXIF data as a sort field - then we wouldn't have to worry about naming.

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:30 am

Actually, one piece of information I left out does cover the situation you
mention of multiple frames with the same time -- the utility I use simply
appends a -01, -02 etc if it encounters multiple pictures with the same time
so it is not a problem for me (it only does that though if it encounters
files with the same timestamp).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:05 pm

Interesting discussion 'cause it's one we all bump into. Frankly I think it's less important what the system is than there is one and that it works for the user. Personally, I've worked out a system that's a lot like what Mikey said but different. ;)

I've set up a directory tree with year and monthly folders under that. Most stuff simply gets dropped into a monthly folder--after it gets renamed coming off the cameras. However I'll vary/extend that by creating more than one monthly folder when there are major photo/events in that month, so I could end up with:

../01
../02
../02 Trip to <place>
../03

Inside the folders are all the pictures that get renamed (freebie utility CKRename):
...<year> <month> <key words> <silly filename from camera>
e.g.: 2007 06 Benjamin birth DSCF0007.jpg

Now I can use the explorer search function on the key word or look in the year/month folder. I generally keep the original name from the camera as well but sometimes I'll use a sequential numbering for uniqueness especially if I'm mixing images from multiple cameras. I like you guys' mention of software to rename using the EXIF data as part of the string, might look into that.

I've also experimented with the Adobe's catalog/organizer function that is bundled with PSE and while I like the idea I find it clumsy to use and all the links in it's DB break if I move anything.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Wilko

Postby Wilko » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:31 am

Fully agree with Dick that having a system is more important than exactly which system. Having said that, if you do not yet have a system (or maybe are not happy with it) take a look at Peter Kroch's book on DAM (Digital Asset Management), visit his website. He has really thought it through.

Wilko

Jerry

Nameing

Postby Jerry » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:10 pm

Our file naming system is 080106_Filename_001.

Where the 08 is the year
01 is the month
06 is the day of the month
Then add an underscore
Filename
underscore

Numbers in sequence. Use four different numbering systems depending on the number of files you have.
for 1-9 files end with _1 to _9
for 10-99 files end with _01 to _99
for 100-999 files end with _001 to _999
for 1,000-9,999 files end with _0001 to _9999

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks