CONTROL key not working...

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
Jessie123

CONTROL key not working...

Postby Jessie123 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:17 am

I was told that when you're in the timeline, you can place your curser over the music, press the conrol key, and a triangle will appear over the music so you can control fading. However, when I do this, nothing happens and there is no triangle. It's as if the control key isn't working?? Anyone know what it is I am doing (or not doing)???

Postby trulytango » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:17 am

Hi Jessie

I am using Producer (but maybe the basics are the same in Gold?)... try pressing the Tab key first? From the normal user interface/screen in Producer - I first press the Tab key and the music timeline becomes enlarged... I then press and hold down the Ctrl key to drag or edit the music position and fades etc. Try it and see - if it doesn't work then someone here who uses Gold is bound to know.

Good luck
Iris
UK

Jessie123

Postby Jessie123 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:21 am

Thanks for the response, but the tab key switches from TIMELINE to SLIDE LIST in Gold...

Postby Barbara_K » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:09 am

Jessie,

When you place your cursor over a music track and press CTRL is it highlighted in yellow? If it is then you can edit the track. The triangle only appears after you have faded the music by dragging the vertical bar at the beginning or end while holding CTRL. Here's a short demo I did a while ago. Hope it helps.

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 7980&alb=0

Barbara

Jessie123

Postby Jessie123 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:52 am

Hi Barbara,
It is NOT in yellow - that's the problem. I make sure I am in Timeline, put my mouse over the music sound, and hold the CTRL - absolutely nothing happens. there is no box, and definetly no triangle. I have spent HOURS on this - i am not exagerrating, and I am sure it's something simple I am missing... but just can't get it.
How do I play the tutorial you posted?? It just goes to a scren page when I click on it.

Postby Jerry Cole » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:02 am

Jessie,
Be patient and read the captions ... I thought the same as you at first...there is no audio. Barbara has just made sure that there is enough time for everyone to read the instructions. It does detail the procedure quite well.
Jerry
San Diego Guy
PSG, PSP, PSE8 & Nikon D80 user
"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way." Mark Twain

Jessie123

Postby Jessie123 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:07 am

Ok, going back to re-look... thanks! i thought it was me!!

Jessie123

Postby Jessie123 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:05 am

I watched Barabara's post and understood it. Actually, someone from my camera club (who told me about ProShow) should me the exact same thing on his laptop last night. My problem is that I don't have the yellow outline anywhere. I do hold the CTRL, and nothing is there - nothing happens to the soundtrack. And I know i am on timeleine.... so I am trying to figure out if something is wrong with my program and there was a glitch in my computer... or maybe my CTRL key is frozen (can that happen???)
I just don't get it, 'cause I saw him do exactly what Barbara is saying to do... my computer just won't let me do it.
Very frustrating...

Postby Barbara_K » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:34 am

Have you tried both the right and left CTRL keys? How about if you press CTRL-ALT-Delete. Does it bring up the Task Manager? If not I think something is wrong with your keyboard.

Barbara

Jessie123

Postby Jessie123 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:38 am

Yep - I tried both of those things. I don't thinkthere's anything wrong with my CTRL key - I just tried to select a few images from a folder with it, and I am able to do that.
I am wondering if there is a glitch in my program... I just installed it about a week ago and this is the first show I have created.
Is there a way to check for a problem??

Jessie123

Postby Jessie123 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:39 am

Oh, and Yes, it DOES bring up Task Manager when I hit those keys.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:04 pm

Jessie

Put your cursor over the slide list at the bottom. Press TAB to change the slide list to time line mode.

Now put your cursor over the music, it should change from an arrow to a hand and a message box come up about pressing CTRL, and press CTRL.

Does this work for you?

Brian

EDIT
Just reread all your posts, I see you are in 'timeline' and not 'slide list', however does the cursor change from an 'arrow' to a 'hand'?.
If all fails I suggest you delete the files given by Barbara below, this often works.
Last edited by briancbb on Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Barbara_K » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:06 pm

Well obviously it's not your keyboard. I've never heard of this problem before but since it seems the CTRL key just has a problem with ProShow I would try deleting the following files located in C:\Program Files\Photodex\ProShowGold:

cpic.opt
def.phd

These files will be recreated when you open PSG again and this fix has corrected a lot of different problems in PSG. If that doesn't work you could try uninstalling and reinstalling PSG.

Good luck,
Barbara

Jessie123

Postby Jessie123 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:29 pm

Just wanted to thank those here who helped me... my problem turned out to be that I had not copy & pasted all my images and music into one folder - I was dragging from all over my computer. I'm not sure why this should matter, but when I re-tried with a new folder (with everything in it), it worked. The yellow box is there. Thanks again!!

Postby Barbara_K » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:46 pm

Jessie123 wrote:... my problem turned out to be that I had not copy & pasted all my images and music into one folder - I was dragging from all over my computer. I'm not sure why this should matter, but when I re-tried with a new folder (with everything in it), it worked. The yellow box is there. Thanks again!!

I don't know why that would matter either as I rarely have everything in one folder until I finish a show. But the main thing is that it's working. Glad you got it figured out.

Barbara

Next

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks