Recording more than 1 audio clip

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
Reeko17

Recording more than 1 audio clip

Postby Reeko17 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:25 pm

Hi...I'm designing a movie trailer and want to know if I can record 2 audio clips at the same time. I've added a song in the background (behind the video/photos) and I'd like to add a voice-over as well. Specifically I want to drop the volume of the song (but keept it playing) and add a voiceover over the song--is this possible? If so does anyone have tips as to how to do it?

Rich

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:53 pm

There are basically two ways to do it - one is free, the other while free, requires you to
add an audio editor to your system (audacity works well for many people). The first way
is to put the audio song on the main track then attach the voice-over to the slide where
you want the voice to start. Check the box that says to continue sound after slide ends
and adjust the offset times to make it work the way that sounds best to you.

The better way is to use something like the free "audacity" audio editor and use that
to combine the tracks, adjust the volume in all the appropriate places so it sounds the
best. If you are going to be working with music and voice overs, something like Audacity
is very worthwhile to put on your system.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Reeko17

Thanks

Postby Reeko17 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:10 pm

Thanks GpsMikey...it seems to work fine. I added the main song to the main track, but I don't want it to actually start playing until about 7 slides into the show. How do I sync the start of the song with whatever slide I want it to? Also, is there a way to drop the volume of the song a few minutes into it, but still keep it playing?

Esteemed Member

Postby Shaker » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:55 pm

There is a third way to get 2 simultaneous sounds - in addition to a soundtrack (the 3 play simultaneously).

Put the second sound on the next slide and give it a negative offset so it plays with the first sound.

The method can be extended to cover more than 2 slide sounds. Put the extra sounds, with appropriate positive or negative offsets, on slides which surround the slide at which the sounds are to be heard.

This also allows easy control of volume for each sound.
Last edited by Shaker on Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Shaker

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:32 am

Reeko

You can add a positive offset to the song on the main soundtrack to get it to start later, offset is in seconds. The offset can also be negative to get it start earlier.

There is also a volume control setting to drop the volume during slide attached audio, it will rise again when the slide attached audio stops.

Brian

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:15 am

As far as starting it to play about 7 slides into the show, depending on which way
you are putting the audio clips in, you can either attach it to the 7th slide and let it
go from there or put it on the main track, but set the "offset" value to some number
of seconds that corresponds to where you want it to start. Note that "offset" values
are in seconds and may be NEGATIVE if you want it to start earlier.

For the changing volume, that is where it gets a bit tougher - if the music is on the
main track and the voice over is attached to a slide, then you can set how much the
voice over lowers the main track, but that is about the only control you have - if
you want it to sound right and be able to play with volume levels during the track
and change them at various points, then you will need to use an editor like the
free Audacity to mix them as you want giving you one sound track.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks