Clock Ticking

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
Esteemed Member

Clock Ticking

Postby Barnum » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:42 pm

I've found a few very short segments of a clock ticking, and when I apply them to my show (the ticking has to last for about forty seconds) I can hear the little blip that occurs when each is repeated. Anyway to over come this, or can you suggest a site where I might find a longer running sound of ticking clock?

Thanks as usual...one day, hopefully, I will be smart enough to help someone else...

Valued Member

Postby Hemo2 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:27 pm

Depending on the file, you might be able to set "Offset from previous track" to a very small negative value like -.1 or something. Just enough to get the file to 'overlap' on top of the previous one that just finished. See if that helps.

If not, try these couple of links for a few clock ticking sound files you could maybe use, or use their search feature to search for 'clock', etc.

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesVie ... p?id=48413

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesVie ... p?id=48370

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesVie ... p?id=30608

Keith

Postby heckydog » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:15 pm

Another possibility would be to open the ticking file in a sound editor like Audacity. You can then tweak the file and copy and paste it as often as needed to get your 40 seconds. Then save it as a new file.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:48 pm

I'll second the motion for Audacity. Good program especially when it's free. If you're going to do much with ProShow then eventually you'll need audio file editing beyond what ProShow includes and that's where Audacity comes in.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby Brenda » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:17 pm

This site has very many pages for clock ticks:

http://www.sounddogs.com/

I also go with the suggestion re Audacity

Brenda

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:22 am

Another vote for Audacity even though I use a different sound editor. I used a ticking clock in one of my shows, and not only was I able to use the sound editor to multiply the ticking, but I was also able to correct the actual timing of the ticks. Unbelievably, they weren't quite on the money, and I needed absolutely precise one-second ticks.

Barbara

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:10 pm

Shortwave radio and record WWV ? They have precise 1 second "tics"
(except for the 59th that is skipped and the 60th that is a double if I
remember correctly).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:31 pm

Mikey, the clock-ticking requirement is now in the past, but after recording one of those noisy battery-run clocks in the house and then bringing the clip over into Cool Edit, I could see why these clocks are so cheap. They're mechanically out of tune. They're either too fast, too slow, or the battery's dead. Of course, they still work when there's a power outage, but if it's at night, who cares?

Barbara

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks