The difference between the two crossfades

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Gold. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

The difference between the two crossfades

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:47 am

This has been discussed efore, but no matter who said what and no matter how much I played around, I couldn't find any significant difference between the two crossfades. I gave up and sent off mail to Photodex. Here's the reply I just received:

There is a difference in motion between the two transitions. With Cross
Fade-Linear, the transition is going at a constant rate, or you can
think of the motion as happening at the same speed until completed. The
Cross Fade - Blend starts blending slowly, then goes quickly, then
slowly again.

Now the big question is whether the difference can actually be seen in our shows. Testing is required, but I must say that, without knowing why, I've always preferred the non-linear crossfade.

Barbara

(A copy of this is also in the Producer section.)
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: The difference between the two crossfades

Postby DickK » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:04 pm

"Perception is reality" or so it is said.

Their description matches what I think I see for a difference between the two. It is subtle but I think there is a difference. For me, I normally use the default one but I'll switch to the other one sometimes... uhhh... just 'cause I can?? 'cause it felt better?? <shrug>

Actually I find I'm more and more using a fade-through-black to get a clear separation between the shots, especially when the pictures have major differences between them in zoom, color or style. In many cases I don't like the crossfades at all because of the blend that's visible during the transition.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Re: The difference between the two crossfades

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:41 pm

I did find a very distinct difference recently when creating the effect of an out-of-focus camera going into focus. It required a fade with a really long duration, and the linear fade was by far the better choice because of the constant speed. I didn't realize at the time why it looked better, but now I do. That's how we perceive the focusing of a camera: at a constant speed.

I'm with you, though, on that strange mix of two photos that happens during a fade. And if both photos are in motion? God forbid!

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Return to PSG - Tips & Tricks