Infinity Symbol

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

Infinity Symbol

Postby wwaag76 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:51 am

I cannot get the Infinity Symbol to work in PSP. I go to Character Map, select the Font (Verdana), and Select the symbol, then copy. PSP returns ? This works in Photoshop, Vegas Pro, Word 2007 and even Notepad, but not PSP. I've resorted to using the numerical character "8" and rotating it 90 degrees. That works OK, but the special chatracters should work in PSP. I've also tried combinations of the U+221E code that is given for the infinity symbol to no avail. Any ideas? Thanks.

wwaag

Re: Infinity Symbol

Postby debngar » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:16 am

Some symbols are not included in a font set. For those, you may have to resort to putting the symbol on a separate layer that is from a different font and position it as needed. That's what worked for me in the past when needing a copyright symbol as some fonts do not include that symbol.

Someone else may have another solution.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby wwaag76 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:36 am

debngar wrote:Some symbols are not included in a font set.

But this symbol IS included. It works in other apps, just not PSP.

wwaag

Postby J_L_R » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:49 am

Hi there,
Try looking at this page
http://fsymbols.com/signs/infinity/
then follow the 'guide if you are running a laptop' link. Its highlighted in blue.
(Beware of other links, hearts etc.).
I had a similar problem a few months ago, but outside of and away from PSP.
This helped me configure my keyboard and I solved my problem. As I understood it if its
not shown on the keys - then its not recognised even when part of the font set
It sounds though that you are probably far more technically aware and able than I am and
this link may be below your obviously greater knowledge, according to what you have already
tried.
Hope it may help - if not I reserve the right to maintain my 'not technically qualified' status.
Regards and best wishes for an early resolution,
Kevin.

Postby osharr » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:40 pm

Not sure if Producer recognizes all "types" of fonts .
If it ain't broke , don't fix it !

Postby debngar » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:57 pm

wwaag76 wrote:
debngar wrote:Some symbols are not included in a font set.

But this symbol IS included. It works in other apps, just not PSP.

wwaag

Well then I don't know why it's not working. Will it paste properly into ProShow if copied from a word document for instance?

If no one else has a solution, you could try contacting Photodex support to see if they can help or at least might have an explanation.
Debbie

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:30 am

Out of curiosity, I looked at Verdana in both Word and in Windows fonts, and there wasn't an infinity symbol. This doesn't mean it's not there, just that I didn't see it. Is it possible that the symbol, when used, comes from a different font set? For instance, in Word, I was able to insert the infinity symbol using the Symbols font set but not using Verdana.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby wwaag76 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:03 am

∞∞∞

Here it is, even in the forum. Alt-236. Works in everything except PSP. I tried copying it from a Word document to no avail. It still gives a ? as the entry. I also tried it on PSP 6 on a different computer--same result. It's definitely in the Character Map. Easiest way is to use the search option and type in "infinity".

At least, there is a workaround for this symbol--rotated 8's.

Thanks for everyone's attempts. Guess the next thing is to contact Photodex.

wwaag

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:54 am

I tested it just now in Word, and sure enough, Alt-236 inserted the infinity symbol. However, when I checked, it turned out to be coming from the Symbol font. Given that infinity isn't to be found in Verdana's chart anywhere that I can find, this may well be the problem you're running into.

Sadly, ProShow doesn't list a symbols font, so maybe that's the area for complaint.

Barbara

Postby debngar » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:42 am

ProShow shows a different character for Alt+236 in the symbol list of macros section of captions settings.

That said, I just did a quick check in my version of Word and Verdana is listed as an OTF font which in the past has not been supported by ProShow. Allegedly the newest version supports OTF but maybe this is a hiccup of some sort that needs to be addressed by Photodex. Dunno. :roll:
Debbie

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:00 am

Debbie, I didn't think to look there, but for sure, it's a different symbol amongst precious few symbols.

Barbara

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:46 am

I had a conversation with one of the Photodex people, and it would seem that the infinity symbol, though it probably exists in Verdana and a number of other stock fonts, is "out of range" for ProShow. It would seem your sideways 8 is the way to go.

Barbara

Postby wwaag76 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:47 pm

BarbaraC wrote:I had a conversation with one of the Photodex people, and it would seem that the infinity symbol, though it probably exists in Verdana and a number of other stock fonts, is "out of range" for ProShow. It would seem your sideways 8 is the way to go.

Barbara

Thanks so much. What exactly does "out of range" mean? I suspect that it means that they acknowledge the problem, but are unwilling to fix it, which is really disappointing, although not surprising. I had a similar response when I complained about the problems of exporting HD compressed AVI (anything over 2GB is corrupt). Their suggestion--have shorter projects! Sorry for the rant--just a bit frustrating.

Again, thanks so much. The rotated 8 works great.

wwaag

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:16 pm

I suspect "out of range" basically means the programmers never thought anyone would want the outer limits. We'd only see a change if a lot of people were insisting on it, which means you have to multiply yourself into hundreds and then jump up and down. :D

Barbara

Return to PSP - General Discussion