video background color

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

video background color

Postby system » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:21 am

Hi, please how I can use as a video background color with proshow?
If you use solid color as a mask then I lose the colors of the video. In this case, the colors of the petals of roses.

use proshow producer v.7
thank you

Re: video background color

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:27 am

I'm not completely clear on what you want to do. Do you want to have a color behind the video or do you want to change the colors in the video? For the former, you could add a solid color as a layer beneath the video, or you could change the background color of the slide. For changing the colors in the video itself, I'm assuming you want to change the black background to another color. I'm not sure this can be done, but because I never work with video, let's hope someone shows up who can give you a solid answer.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Esteemed Member

Postby Marie78 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:50 am

Hello

As Barbara, I am not sure of what you want but as your video is an overlay, I suppose you want the petals to fall in front of the people on the photo of the second layer.

This is only possible if you have 2 video files : a standard one, and an alpha version of the same video.

Then it is possible with those 2 video to obtain transparency so to only see the petals.

Another possibility is to use kroma key on your video layer but in most case the result is not perfect.

Last possibility : use the same video on two layers, both above the photo, and, on the upper one, use mask and geyscale. Depending the video, the result can be very good or not...
Chris Marie

Postby im42n8 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:40 am

I'm with Marie on this. ProShow does not recognize the alpha channel for transparency in videos. This is a feature that's been asked for .... since long long LONG ago. Don't expect to see it in ProShow anytime soon. So, you only have 1 otion: obtain an alpha channel copy of the video and then use it as a grayscale mask over the color version of the video.

You can "edit" that video in a video editor (one fo the nonlinear editors like Premiere Pro or the like) and 'extract' the alpha channel. That's the only way to get transparency out of the video (unless someone gives you one!).

Now, the mask set (when played) will show the rose petals falling ... and any layer behind that mask set (lower in the layer stack/list) can be seen through them (including any background you want to use).

Like Marie said, using the ChromaKey will probably NOT work on the video. That's aimed toward still images.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby system » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:40 pm

Thanks for answers. Yes, I want to drop their petals image. I'll try your suggestions, will let you know, thanks

Postby system » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:26 am

Hello I tried the chroma key function and is almost correct in this case.
I tried it with other video background and not good.
not even using 2 video on 2 levels.

Is there any tutorial for premiere pro that shows how to extract the alpha channel?
If so, you may link something?

Postby im42n8 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:43 am

There's a tutorial for almost anything in the pgm. Don't have an idea where it might be. However, shen I did it the first time I was able to stumble around until I figured it out. It didn't take that long as I remember it.
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby heckydog » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:09 pm

system wrote:Hello I tried the chroma key function and is almost correct in this case.
I tried it with other video background and not good.
not even using 2 video on 2 levels.

Is there any tutorial for premiere pro that shows how to extract the alpha channel?
If so, you may link something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1qGbYrCtj4

This youtube video is 20 seconds long. The first half is rose petals falling, the second half is the alpha channel. You can split the video into 2 separate videos and use the alpha portion as a mask. But you would have to align them perfectly to make it work.

If you need to use the video shown in your attachment, I'd be more inclined to use After Effects to create the alpha channel instead of PPro. Mainly because I've never tried to do it in PPro :wink:

It would also be helpful to know the format of the rose petal video.

There is a free preset called Unmult that can remove the black background and would let you create the effect entirely in AE. iow, there are numerous ways to achieve what you want to do :)

Joe

Postby system » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:14 am

It is a movie quicktime mov. I'm not very practical whit After Effects. But I can try.

Video of the petals are in this project for AE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyn8pMtcFa0

and .mov video files you can download from here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B97DCu ... sp=sharing

thank you all

Postby heckydog » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:58 am

Here's your alpha channel file, 7.5MB mp4, 1280x720.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/242 ... _alpha.mp4

Right click, "Save Link as..." to download.

Place it as the first layer and make it a masking layer.

Joe

added: the original mov file is pre-matted, iow, it has transparency built into it. Unfortunately PSP does not recognize RGB+A videos, so the alpha video is required.

Postby system » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:04 am

Thank you. How did you do?

However you see the black parts ... :cry:

Postby heckydog » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

I believe the problem is with ProShow, not the alpha video, since it works perfectly in After Effects. I tried this with PSP 5, 6, and 7 (yes, I have all 3 on my computer). Six and seven show the artifacts as seen in your screenshot. PSP 5 is not quite as bad, it shows sort of a shadow instead of all black. Also note, that in the youtube video, there is some black showing in the rose petals. It's not easy to separate the black background from the shadows in the petals themselves.

I can do some testing in the next day or so, maybe later today.

Since you need to out put a video anyway, I'd suggest you make the whole effect in AE and input the complete video into PSP.

Joe

Postby heckydog » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:31 pm

I tested this in PSP 6 and 7 and it looks about as good as it's going to get to me. No black artifacts, decent transparency. PSP sure can be a fussy little program. :roll:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/242 ... _alpha.mov

This alpha video is 1920x1080, mov (h.264) format, 20MB, 7 seconds long.

Right click and Save as... to download.

Joe

Postby system » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:45 am

OK perfect! Thank you.
I have attached the other file called "trans_1", you politely turn it into video alpha too?

Could you please explain to me how you did?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B97DCu ... sp=sharing

Postby heckydog » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:47 am

This video looks like the reverse of the first one, but here's the link (I decided to create a Google Drive account, hope I don't regret it :wink: )

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0AdRb ... sp=sharing

In a nutshell, here's how it's done.

1. These video(s) are already pre-matted so they have a transparent background built into them. Not all videos have this, but these do.
2. I used Unmult to remove more of the dark colors in the petals themselves. This video, https://vimeo.com/14187295 explains what it does and there's a link to download the preset. On the Red Giant page, scroll all the way down to "OTHER", check the "Free" box and you'll see a link to download Unmult. Normally, it wouldn't be necessary to apply unmult to a pre-matted video, but PSP seems to like it better.
3. I applied the unmult preset to the video to remove more of the black shadows.
4. I made a Curves adjustment to darken some of the petals. This is to prep the video prior to making the alpha video and fill in some of the transparency created by removing the shadows.
5. Added the video to the render queue.
6. Selected Quicktime as the output format, and Alpha as the Channel under Video Format.
7. Rendered the video. Done.

If you're not familiar with these terms and/or operations you need to find someone who can help you. You really need a decent background in AE before you start attempting these things on your own.

Joe

Next

Return to PSP - General Discussion