Trying to understand MODIFIER. help please

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related
mahasuresh1

Trying to understand MODIFIER. help please

Postby mahasuresh1 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:17 pm

I am trying to understand the usage of modifiers used in PSP4. I dont have a clue what it is all about. I saw several posts which has used it , but i did not find a post which explains a basic concepts. what is modifiers, how to use and why to use it,

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks - Suresh

Re: Trying to understand MODIFIER. help please

Postby nannybear » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:31 pm

Suresh, if you search the word modifiers, you will come up with about 30 pages of posts that have info. Check those out first. There are numerous tutorials so check out the sample shows in PSP as well. They are not for the faint hearted or newbie. I have been using it (PSP)for along time and struggle, not to say someone else can't master them even if they are new. It's just they are not simple and there is no manual from Photodex!

Good Luck and if you figure something else come back and share.... :wink: cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Postby PhilipWeir » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:38 am

To get a basic understanding of modifiers you could use the help system included with PSP. Either seach for "modifiers" or use the contents and expand Features In-Depth>Keyframing>Modifiers.

Philip

Postby im42n8 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:41 am

You're better off looking through this forum for information on modifiers than trying to get help from the PSP help on modifiers or from Photodex itself ... they're simply NOT documented. Mentioning that modifiers exist (basically that's what Photodex has done) is not helping users understand and use them.

When modifiers were first introduced there was a flurry of posts on them. Rick Kligman posted some basic tutorials on his website after he figured them out. I've got some written tutorials on some of the basics. Just look in the tutorials section. I believe a couple of styles have even been posted that use them. You could d/l them and dissect them to see how they work. There are also some demos that might give you some clues as to how to try to use them. That and all the discussions should give you some fodder for continuing learning about them!

Dale

mahasuresh1

Postby mahasuresh1 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:39 am

Philip...
where to look for "use the contents and expand Features In-Depth>Keyframing>Modifiers". Isthis an option in this website?

Postby PhilipWeir » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:49 am

Whilst using PSP press F1 to get access to the help system and then navigate to the topic you want. (I'd include a screen shot to show you but I haven't figured out how to do that here. I'll ask in another thread).

Edit: Stickgirl pointed me in the right direction for seeing how to link to images. Here's a link to a screen shot showing the navigation to the help section on modifiers;

Philip

Postby im42n8 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:48 pm

And you'll notice just how helpful that information is! NOT! And NOT by a long shot!

If you're new to Producer (maybe not so much so if you've been using Gold for awhile), you're probably going to want to understand the program first, before you tackle these things in any meaningful fashion. I'm not kidding, understanding how PSP does what it does is extremely helpful and useful!

The help files for modifiers are just this side of USELESS! They tell you nothing on how to use them or apply them! You have to know some of the ways that PSP utilizes rotation angles and degrees ... it's NOT what you think! When Photodex said it was for advanced users they MEANT IT! Unless you have a really good understanding of the program you're going to set yourself up for lots of frustrations! If you know what happens when you combine (add, subtract, multiply, or divide) functions (sine, triangle, and sawtooth) you might have a little leg up on the others. Still, it's not obvious how to use them correctly.

The other thing is that the documentation on them is SO SPARSE on these that you'll be ferreting out what things are and how to use them. Again, that implies that you know something about the program. Even then, you'll be spending lots of time figuring them out.

It's not hard to figure out how to apply them. It's gonna be hard to figure out how to control them and do something useful with them. AND, the way their currently implemented, they don't work well at all (except in the most simplest ways) with captions (modifiers are not completely implemented in captions and they've also implemented in a different way!). Also, they're buggy. Some things work some don't. Some work up to a point and then they're broke. Some work well in the program but don't get published when you convert it to a video format!

On this item, Photodex left users hanging out to dry! The advanced users have figured out some ways to use them and there are a few tutorials (video and written) in the tutorials section. That's the sum of the documentation on modifiers right now. Photodex has, so far, chosen NOT to document how the modifiers work nor how to apply them. Stating there are modifiers that you can add, subtract, multiply, or divide Is NOT sufficient documentation! When you read what Photodex has written and then try to apply that to a real life show, you'll feel like you're flapping in the wind!

Good Luck!

Dale
================---==================---================------============
Picture Slide
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=10307

Silent Movie
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=10528

How modifiers work with Keyframes
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=10384

Ping Ball
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=10308

Intro to Modifiers