Imovie

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

Imovie

Postby michellephoto » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:42 am

I am editing a few different video clips in Imovie. Then I would like then import then into proshow producer. I am having issues. When I drop it into producer, the voice does not match the video clip. .mov extension is not recognized by producer and I used a 3rd party converter "Any Video Converter" to convert .mov into mp4. Does anyone have any suggestions which format to use from imovie that will render the best video for producer? Or what is the best way to approach, any ideas will be helpful.

Re: Imovie

Postby cinderellen » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:39 am

This likely is not the cause of the situation you describe UNLESS you check back in iMovie and find the same problem. I was working on a project when suddenly the audio and video were out of sync. This was a software issue fixed with an update.

It sounds like yours is more complicated and a problem actually in Producer but just thought I'd throw this out in the for what it's worth department.

Ellen

Postby cinderellen » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:15 pm

I just reread your post. You say Producer doesn't recognize .mov - but it does or SHOULD.

Ellen

Postby michellephoto » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:48 pm

I will try .mov file again in producer. Thanks for the tips. I will post if it works.

Postby cec_mar2008 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:09 pm

Producer does not recognize .mov now. I think it happens since one of the latests updates. It is a headache for me. I have a lot of .mov files
Cecilia

Postby jonP » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:08 pm

Michelle & Cecilia, Just wanted to throw in my $.02 here.

Producer does not recognize .mov now.

I'm not having any problems importing my short .mov files into the current PSP version 4.51.3003. They're not from Imovie though. I'm using unedited .mov files that are created in both 1080p/30fps and 720p/60fps from my little Kodak Playsport video camera.

Now, having said that - my Video editing program, (Sony Vegas Movie Studio v10) often chokes on them so I've looked into similar .mov problems and can relate to your grief. My brief research (i.e a few evenings of Googling) seems to indicate this is a fairly common problem with Movie Studio using some but not all .mov files. Like the .avi format, .mov is a container that can have the video content encoded in more than one way with different codecs and some are more compatible than others.

I've never used Imovie and I'm certainly no video expert but I have to wonder if their encoding is somehow different and preventing it from being read by PSP. Does Imovie let you output directly to .mp4 format rather than converting the .mov to .mp4? That should load into PSP without any issues.

There are others on this forum with far more video expertise that can explain better but I just wanted to reiterate I don't have any trouble with PSP using these .mov files. In fact they look much sharper than when I tested an intermediate conversion to other formats since that inevitably introduces some level of visible pixillation.

I hope this helps to solve your problem
Jon

Postby michellephoto » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:08 am

Hi Jon,

Yes imovie does let me export to mp4 files, but they are very pixelized. I am going to play with the different formats again and figure this out. I will post when I get back to this project. This week is super busy, I am going to play with it next week.

Postby cec_mar2008 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:56 pm

I just discovered that in my notebook Producer does not accept .mov files, but... it does in my PC!! (the same files) so I think the problem may be something about codecs or Windows, as in my PC Windosws 7 is installed and Windows XP in my notebook (is a little old). Anyway, is strange. I used .mov files lot of times in my notebook in the past. I will uninstall and re-install Quicktime and see what happens. Or investigate all about codecs.
Cecilia

Postby cinderellen » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:33 pm

I also suspect it has something to do with codecs but I really am not knowledgeable in this area. Hopefully someone who IS will help you out with this.

Ellen

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pilotdan63 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Suggest you download and install the free K-Lite codec pack for Windows XP here: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/k_l ... c_pack.htm

This will bring your old Windows XP computer "up-to-speed" with all the latest and greatest codecs which should solve your problem if it has anything to do with missing or outdated codecs.

It did for me :-)

Dan

Postby jonP » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:11 pm

Very good suggestion Dan, I should have mentioned it earlier too since I also use the K-lite codecs. But now you bring it up, I need to test reinstalling them again since I loaded the Sony video editor after I already had K-lite on this PC which may have corrupted something and reloading might resolve my issues too. (but that of course is a topic for the Sony user forum and not really appropriate here).

thanks
Jon

Postby cec_mar2008 » Mon May 02, 2011 12:18 pm

Finally, I solved my problem by updating my codec pack (Div X). Now PPS recognizes .mov files.
Thank you, Cecilia

Postby michellephoto » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:55 am

I am sorry, but I forgot to come back to this post. I resolved the issue. Using IMovie, I export to quicktime .mov file. This seems to be the best solution to export edited video using IMovie. PSP recognizes the file and it has great quality.

Postby michellephoto » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:26 am

Ran into the same problem again with the new version of producer. Did not recognize .mov file
I am using my mac laptop with VM fusion to run PSP.
Solution was to download quicktime player to windows side of my mac and this helped producer recognize the codecs needed to run the .mov file.

Return to PSP - General Discussion