Centre text?

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

Centre text?

Postby Paul C » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:05 am

Hi Guys..

I’m trying to place my text bang in the center but not quite getting there, can anyone help?

A big thanks in advance..

Paul. :)

Re: Centre text?

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:52 am

Not sure I understand your question - there is the format option for left,right or center on the paragraph text (like in Word etc). You can also move a caption to anywhere you want on the slide - which type of center (centre :D ) are you trying to do?

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby im42n8 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:53 am

We're probably going to need a bit more info. What are you trying to place your text in the center of?

When text is entered, it's default placement is typically center (50,50), Horizontal and vertical screen center. Now, if you have more than one line, it's the centroid of the text that will remain at screen center. It can't be changed; you have to actually change the text position to effect any change (or change the font). This centroid is going to vary according the font metrics and those are built into the typeface. That is, you can't change the kerning. In fact, the ability to do anything in Gold is even more limited than in Producer (where you can change space between lines (sort of like leading adjustment) and between characters (sort of like kerning) and more).

So, centering your text is dependent upon your typeface and the number of lines. Too, you have to remember that, unlike layer positioning (where screen center is 0,0) caption positioning has screen center at 50,50 (where for right is 100 and far left is 0; 100 is screen bottom and 0 is screen top). Next, you can change the measurement point (sort of like the centroid but not really) by changing the alignment. The left alignment will move the reference point to the beginning of the caption, the right alignment moves that measurement point to the end, and the center moves it to the center. There's no provision to change anything relative to the top or bottom of a caption.

Hope that helps you in someway.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby Paul C » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:22 am

Hi Guys..

Sorry for not explaining myself properly. The slide I use to start the slideshow within producer. I write (Click To Begin). The problem is I can’t centre it properly? I must have hit some setting?

Many thanks for your help..

Paul. :D

Postby im42n8 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:42 am

Still not getting it. What about the slide you use to start the slideshow?

A layer is positioned by changing its x and y position settings. The layer is centered at 0,0 (x,y) where 50% of the layer is above/below/left/right of the screen center. That may center the layer but not necessarily the content.

You can drag the layer around (Click and hold and then drag) until you get it positioned where you want and then you can release the mouse key to drop it. You can do effectively the same thing with the captions.

The slide is merely a metphor for what appears on the screen, so, you can't really move it. Instead, you move what's displayed in the area described as the slide (that is, relative to the frame). You make the contents appear as if the slide itself are moving by how you position those contents relative to the slide's frame.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby debngar » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:48 am

It's still not clear exactly to me what problem you're having. But ProShow provides the same button icon to justify text, left, center, right, etc. that is used in most programs. Or you can try starting at putting 50/50 (horizontal/vertical) in the position settings to center as Dale mentioned.

Caption Settings Tab> look beneath the preview window to find the Caption Placement Alignment button icons. The actual CAPTION LAYER must be highlighted in order to adjust the captions, If you have the image layer highlighted instead, you cannot access the caption adjustment controls/tools.

However....

Various fonts center visually, differently. I've not found any to be visually, vertically centered at the 50/50 mark setting because of where the program selects the point in the fonts to use for the positioning. So depending on what font I choose, I almost always have to change it to something else to get it vertically centered to my liking - more like 50/48 or 50/47 or 50/46, etc.

Beyond that, try starting over fresh with a new test slide if nothing else works.

Hope that makes sense.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:10 pm

Is it the menu's text you're working with and not a regular slide?

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby debngar » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:20 pm

Barbara,

If you're right and this is the problem then the center of the menu screen is 500/500. (Vertically centering may require a bit of adjustment in the "y" number). Yeah, it doesn't exactly work the same at all as position setting for the center of a slide caption. In addition, there are no alignment icons. Instead there is a drop down menu to pick from for left/right/center.

I've always thought this was really odd, not to have the same position numbering as regular captions. That threw me for a loop for a while when I first started using ProShow in 2005.
Debbie

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:02 pm

I agree that it's confusing, and it seems to be set this way for no particularly good reason. Time to go after Photodex on this, right? :D

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby debngar » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:16 pm

Or, at least make a suggestion...
Debbie

Return to PSP - General Discussion