Pictures to Exe comparison

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related
Valued Member

Pictures to Exe comparison

Postby proullard » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:31 pm

What do others here think of PTE? Pictures to Exe, produced by none other than Microsoft. I saw on a PTE forum recently that the picture quality compared to ProShow is supposedly better and that the software does not crash.
Any thoughts?

Phil Roullard

Re: Pictures to Exe comparison

Postby cherub » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:32 pm

PicturesToExe is not made by Microsoft but by a company named Wnsoft

I am not updated about that program, but last time I checked, it did not work in keyframes, just in slides, like ProShow Gold.

Valued Member

Postby proullard » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:53 pm

You are correct, it is made by Winsoft, I was thinking it was a part of MS, but I would guess not.
At any rate, several of the people on this forum that just happened upon by mistake. The people who were somewhat converted to PTE were making some pretty disparaging remarks about PSP, (proshowproducer). They didn't think it was very intuitive, too many bells and whistles, not much support.
I think the amount of tech support I have received has been extremely good with PSP I always get the help I need and my problems have always been solved right away. Sure the software has a learning curve, but I haven't found it that difficult to master in a short amount of time. As far as bells & whistles are concerned, why not? I have lots of options. Many people who had been using PTE didn't think the image quality of PSP was very good either. I think maybe they don't know how to set the preferences for getting the best image quality from PSP.

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:06 pm

Some years ago, I purchased a license for PTE (like back in 2002). It had some good features, but I ended up going with Proshow. While they are indeed similar programs (and both are good), I have been happy staying with Proshow. Both have good support last time I was playing with PTE so I'm not sure what the folks complaining about poor support from Photodex are complaining about - if they think Photodex is poor, they should give Sony or some of the others a shot at getting tech support (in the Sony Vegas forums, it seems like about 2 months to get any kind of a support from the Sony Tech folks). Both are good programs and both are able to produce some great video shows - the trick is learning how everything works. Last time I played with PTE was back in 2008 and I found I still preferred Proshow Producer for what I was doing. (and yes, Microsoft has nothing to do with them)

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby cherub » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:42 pm

The people who were somewhat converted to PTE were making some pretty disparaging remarks about PSP, (proshowproducer). They didn't think it was very intuitive, too many bells and whistles, not much support.

It does take some time to get used to it, yes, but all elaborate programs take time to learn. If you don't want to familiarize yourself with the software at all, and you still want to make a nice show, you can use the Wizard, which is pretty automatic.
Not sure what would happen if I opened now PTE. Do you think I'd know immediately how to make all the effects that I am capable of making in Producer? I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't even know where to start.
By "bells and whistles in Producer", I presume that you are referring to slide styles and transitions.
Yes, they are there. But that doesn't mean that you have to use them. You can make a very simple show just by dragging your pictures into the timeline, if that's what you are looking for. But, for such simple shows, you don't need a program like Producer. There are other programs that are much cheaper.
I guess it all amounts to what kind of shows you want to make, and how much money you are willing to spend on them.

Postby im42n8 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:41 am

Well, the P2E folks can be a very passionate bunch. But, when they compare video outputs and say that what P2E puts out is superior to what ProShow does, I have to wonder if they're comparing apples to apples or apples to oranges; my guess is the latter. I have to wonder if they were doing a fair comparison. I doubt it. I think it was just some very passionate P2E "users" who go by the "my way or the highway" mentality. Can't be sure.

They tout that P2E can do things that ProShow can't. Well, that is true with Gold. Their example of a 3D cube is something I don't think can be done in PSP (a rotating 3D cube approximation can be done ... but it has some severe limitations). P2E says they have some 3D capability but I'm not sure what those are. Maybe making the cube is the extent of their 3D features ... don't know until I look into it more. But, while 3D cubes may be "wow" stuff, they really aren't all that great for presenting your images. The 3D-like capabilities in PSP are pretty limited at this time. While tilt (rotation in the x and y axes) is available to give 3D-like capabilities, there's no decent interface available at this time which unlocks their true potential (working together with rotation center change can do that).

My guess is that P2E got a big presence in the European area because that's where it is made (it's registered in Russia). I'm certain it's a great product with some great features. As such, I'm also certain that there are a few areas that it excels in that PSP doesn't and vice versa. That's the nature of things. As for it having a much superior video, I doubt it. I have to think that they're looking through colored lenses with it comes to the output (and the bias of the "critic"). Don't know for sure (just strong suspicions). P2E exports to executable files for Macs and PCs. This is where there's going to be a better video experience than video unless the export is to an HD video format.

My 2cents...

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby VidQueen » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:28 am

I download PTE about every six months, just to see if it's gotten any better. For me, it's not even a close contest. However, I'm probably looking for something different than most users. I'm looking for creative options. I'm not looking for "what can it do for me", I'm looking for "what can I do with it". I can't do anything with PTE. Everything is built in, can't add multiple layers, masks, keyframes....it's just a basic Slide Show program. ProShow Gold has more features than PTE.

Just my 2 cents:)

Postby cherub » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:21 am

VidQueen wrote: ...Everything is built in, can't add multiple layers, masks, keyframes....it's just a basic Slide Show program. ProShow Gold has more features than PTE.

I'm not sure about the multiple layers.
I think that it does have multiple layers, and not only that, but these multiple layers can be grouped, and locked in a kind of container.
This grouping of layers would be a great addition to Producer, that will make our work so much easier.

I'm not sure about masks either. I think that it can use masks, but you don't have the option to make them in the program itself. I don't remember exactly, because, as I said, it's been awhile since I last checked this program.

Postby VidQueen » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:37 am

Hmmmm.....I'll have to downoad it again! I think there is no way to save/export/import anything (ie, Slide Styles), which, as a vendor, also makes it kind of useless to me.

Postby cherub » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:40 am

VidQueen wrote:Hmmmm.....I'll have to downoad it again! I think there is no way to save/export/import anything (ie, Slide Styles), which, as a vendor, also makes it kind of useless to me.

It can make templates, or the like. And these templates can be used by others.
That's how I remember it.

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:53 am

Those with negative opinions tend to be vehement and vocal, but we shouldn't give a hoot what they think. Hear them out, perhaps, but then go our own way. If they prefer apple pie and we prefer blueberry, so be it! :D

(I love blueberry.)

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Valued Member

Postby proullard » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:02 am

What a great discussion! Thanks, Cherub, Vidqueen and Mikey. I just wanted some confirmation of my own feelings about PSP from more experienced users than I. My opinion is that yes, you can be very creative with PSP if you want to, it has those capabilities if you are willing to try anything. It does take time to learn what software like PSP can do if you are willing to take the time, obviously those who like PTE just want a cookie cutter template to do stuff for them and as someone said you can use the PSP wizard if you want that.
The support that I have received from PSP has been fantastic. I have called tech support many times and they have literally walked me through steps to resolve my issue. The tech support people are very accessible and easy to talk with.
As Mikey said, the PTE people are quite passionate, but I think a lot of what I saw on their forum was claptrap.
I just did a celebration of life show for the family of a dear friend that died in June. Several members of the family were in tears during and after they watched the show. Not necessarily because of the way I put the show together, but because of the images of the relative.

Esteemed Member

Postby trailertrash » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:50 am

Folks,
I use PtoEXE extensively and also Producer. v7.5 of PtoExe has just launched and its a very very good programme.
There are major differences in the two [ psp and ptoe ] and each one has merit. PtoExe is a small company and the development is slow. PSP is a large corporation and can afford to press ahead at pace. I prefer psp in areas like audio where I can time the track to my hearts content without having to resort to finding the interface in ptoe. There are a lot of menus you have to find in ptoe, but once you have it sussed its easy to work with.

Keyframing in ptoexe is very easy. Its just one window and one 'line' where you have to work. The layers function is very simple too. in the main window just right click to add layers/audio/video/masks and a bunch of other stuff. The quality of the images in the exe files is superb. Its has 3D for some time and the examples I have seen are stunning.

Where psp is by far ahead of ptoe is in the output choices. For my own web site I want to be able to share my travel shows with my family and friends. They dont want to have to download an exe file that causes problems with their virus prog. Psp gives me the optinon to create flash or presenter shows which I can embed 'almost ' without loss of quality. Once my target audience has downloaded presenter they can view my shows without issue. This in my opinion is a real leap ahead for psp v ptoe.
The choices in psp of styles and transitions outstrips pte by some margin. However the developer and his team have to concentrate on the core programme before they look at bells and whistles.

As for the ptoe forum! I spend as much time on that one as I do on this one. More probably because I have to ask more questions. Yes they are a bit boysterous, but will go to considerable length to help and answer any question.
Just like here. Ptoexe also has lifetime free upgrades! All you pay for is the video builder element every 2 years.

Obviously many of you havent used ptoexe in a while. Its a very very powerful programme and will rival the very best out there in the near future once the developer and his team get the core programme to where they want it with audio. Adding a video is simplicity itself.

So there are big differences and a lot of similarities in both applications. Some good some not as good as each other. I guess it comes down to what your used to and comfortable with.

Me - I like them both for the features they both have and if one doesnt do what I want, the other will. So I will not limit myself to only one. I have the best of both.

Andrew

Postby trulytango » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:22 am

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:22 am

The demo makes me think Photodex had better watch it's back! :D

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Next

Return to PSP - General Discussion