Support Japanese font?

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

Support Japanese font?

Postby Naoki » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:54 am

I am new to use PSP. I am impressed at the sophisticated functions concerning English, but I sometimes need Japanese characters.
I knew PSP only supports True Type Fonts of unicode. I installed some of them and the PSP appears to have accepted them (recognized).
However, they barely work. The Japanese fonts were properly displayed in the column of "Captions"(left-hand side) but not in the "Selected Caption Text" nor in the main picture screen.
Can anyone tell me how to solve this problem?
Thank you in advance. Naoki
Last edited by Naoki on Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Naoki, Tsukuba Japan

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Support Japanese font?

Postby DickK » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:09 am

What you're seeing is the difference between applying a font to the caption and what fonts the software itself uses in the interface. So far as I know, there's nothing you can do about that part.

I think it should, however, be possible for ProShow to use the selected font in the "Selected Caption Text" area of the interface but it would mean a change inside the software itself--seems like something that would be a reasonable thing to add to the "requested features" section here.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby cherub » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:36 am

What do you need to do to write the same text in Notepad, with Japanese fonts?
Do you need to press on any key/s to change the system language from English to Japanese?
If you do, then it is my guess that you also need to do the same thing in Producer.

Postby Jean-Paul » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:58 am

Hello Naoki,

Welcome to the forum.
The way I understand your question is that you are attempting to use a Japanese font as a caption in your show, not as an interface font.
You seam to be saying that you can see the font correctly in the font drop down preview menu but when you apply it, it is not appearing correctly on the small preview of slide option window and also in the main preview window of the program.
If that is the case, may be a member of the forum who does have experience using Japanese fonts in PSP will be able to give you more information on the subject.
I would also suggest you contact Photodex email Support using this form:
http://www.photodex.com/contact

They probably would have some good information for you.

Again, welcome to the forum,
Amicalement, Jean-Paul

This forum is to ProShow enthusiasts, what hair is to the gorilla

PSP v5 (last releas) PC: Win. 7 x64, CPU Intel i7, Memory RAM 12 GB, Disk partition (C:) SSD, GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285, Monitor 23” HD, GPU Benchmark for PSP 372.

Postby cherub » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:19 am

Jean Paul,
When I wrote "system" above, I didn't mean the interface.
I was rather referring to something that Windows calls "Language Bar", and that appears on systems that allow switching between languages. Something that tells Windows that "Now I want to type in English" or, alternatively, "Now I want to type in Japanese".
For that bar to appear and to allow the change in language, one needs to have that language installed first in Windows.
The use of a font that supports that language is usually not enough.

I'm saying this, because, I happen to have another foreign alphabet on my system, and I do make shows using the "Holy Language" :wink:

Postby Jean-Paul » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:57 am

Hi Mona,

It looks like you posted your thread during the time I was editing mine, that happens quite frequently in forums.
Yes, I am aware of the region and language settings in Windows and I suppose Naoki probably is also aware of them.

However, the way I usually work in this forum, I read the post and if I feel I can be of some help, I post my comments. Unfortunately, I do not have a little crystal ball to tell me what other members are doing during the time I am editing my thread.
Hopefully this will clear it up for you and others.

Have fun Mona,
Amicalement, Jean-Paul

This forum is to ProShow enthusiasts, what hair is to the gorilla

PSP v5 (last releas) PC: Win. 7 x64, CPU Intel i7, Memory RAM 12 GB, Disk partition (C:) SSD, GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285, Monitor 23” HD, GPU Benchmark for PSP 372.

Postby Naoki » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:37 pm

> the difference between applying a font to the caption and what fonts the software itself uses in the interface.

Thank you, Dick. I understood it.
But I suppose the difference may be subtle, because other softwares work in a similar way.

> add to the "requested features" section here.

It is a good idea. I have not been aware of it. I will do it. Naoki
Naoki, Tsukuba Japan

Postby Naoki » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:50 pm

> What do you need to do to write the same text in Notepad, with Japanese fonts?
> Do you need to press on any key/s to change the system language from English to Japanese?

Thank you for your response, Cherub. Such processes work well. A Japanese IME works well and I have no problems in inputting characters of unicode. But the appearances of characters are scrambled in the main screen and "selected caption text."

> If you do, then it is my guess that you also need to do the same thing in Producer.

The PSP accepts the process of inputting the characters. It is rather amazing to me that the appearance in "Captions" is correct. That is why I think the goal is not too far.

Naoki
Naoki, Tsukuba Japan

Postby Naoki » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:22 pm

> you can see the font correctly in the font drop down preview menu but when you apply it, it is not appearing correctly on the small preview of slide option window and also in the main preview window of the program.

Thank you Jean-Paul for your kind advices.

> a member of the forum who does have experience using Japanese fonts in PSP will be able to give you more information on the subject.

I noticed in this forum that non-typical languages had similar problems. In particular, 2-byte fonts like Chinese have the same problem. The conclusions, as far as I know, are:
2 byte-fonts are impossible for PSP.
Unicode fonts are possible. The PSP recognizes the external fonts of TTF from the Windows fonts (after closing the PSP).
As a matter of fact, I introduced various Japanese unicode fonts and the PSP apparently accepted them.
I thought that, as far as I use TTF unicodes, the process should be the same among various external fonts.
But the resultant fonts displayed were scrambled only for the Japanese ones.

> I would also suggest you contact Photodex email Support using this form:
http://www.photodex.com/contact

Yes, I did it, but the prompt answer was like the above.
I guess this kind of differences is subtle and the development is difficult with an English PC.
I would appreciate it, If anyone succeeded in displaying Japanese fonts with a special TTF font.

Naoki
Naoki, Tsukuba Japan

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:22 pm

Naoki, it's very possible that support didn't truly understand the problem, and so what you might do is email them again, this time attaching the font file so they have it to play with. If you can do screenshots of what's happening, that might help too.

You should pursue the problem with Photodex support because you may end up with exactly what you need. :D

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby Naoki » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:06 pm

Dear Barbara,
Your words are very much encouraging to me. I have almost given it up.
You are right. The goal is not very far and also I should explain visually what are going on.
I will send my request to the photodex with a comprehensive picture.
Naoki

Please ignore the below (a complaint of being born in Japan):
I am realizing some difficulty in thoroughly improving the font system.
The handling of Unicode TTF of Japanese is, in general, not unified among various programs. The Unicode handling is only for the internal PC processes and the interface sometimes causes troubles. The PSP uses part of the Windows system and the Japanese Windows system is different from English Windows, concerning the language. For instance, if I switch the standard language from Japanese to English, the fonts of "a half" of programs go crazy. Importantly, the Japanese IME does not work.
Unless the PSP is equipped with the code-inputting function, the inputting may not be so convenient. I am afraid, the PSP adopts different interfaces from the unicode fonts to the displayed fonts, between the "Captions" and the rest.
So, thorough improvement of the system should be difficult and not so productive for common users. The display of "Selected Caption Text" may be accepted as it is (scrambled).
All I need is to use the same interface for the Captions and the Main Screen.

P.S. : Also see / ProShow Producer / PSP - Feature Requests/Support for Foreign fonts -TTF unicodes
Naoki, Tsukuba Japan

Postby matane » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:52 pm

it won't support vietnamese font either but since i have copied and pasted vni font to font folder in system then i can type Vietnamese in proshow producer. i wonder if this way can help with japanese character!? i don't khow where to download Japanese font (free :d) therefore i have trouble with writing Japanese in proshow, too lol...
困った!

Postby Naoki » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:45 am

Dear Matane,
Thank you for your advice. It sounds encouraging to me.
> it won't support vietnamese font either but since i have copied and pasted vni font to font folder in system then i can type Vietnamese in proshow producer.
This way appears to be the solution, but I cannot understand how to do with the vni fonts. Could you specify the processes more concretely? I need specific folder names, specific operation of the pasting and where the codes should be written..

> i wonder if this way can help with japanese character!?
There should be the way. The Unicode has been prepared for this purpose. As I pointed out, this kind of operation is already made partially in the proshow producer. If the specific processes were known, the goal would not be too far.

> i don't know where to download Japanese font (free :d) therefore i have trouble with writing Japanese in proshow, too lol...
Here, you may as well understand that the variations are much more for Japanese fonts.The number of usual Japanese fonts is roughly 2,000, not 26 of alphabets. Also, one Japanese character consists of two bytes.
By the way, being a Japanese is disadvantageous in our life. We spend plenty of our lifetime just to learn the fonts.

> 困った!
(troublesome) Yes, this is it. However, some of English PCs would not read this word correctly. This troublesome situation happens in the Proshow Producer.
For the time being, I have used the image file of fonts made with Photoshop. It is tedious but can ensure the variations. Of course, this way is not my goal.
Naoki, Tsukuba Japan

Postby matane » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:00 am

konichiwa naoki 様、

Sorry for my broken English has driven You confused!
Here exactly what i learned from others:
- there are more than 90 sets of Vni fonts in one pack that can download for free which help typing Vietnamese in Proshow producer even Proshow Gold using with VPS Key or Unikey.
- coppy all those Vni Fonts and paste to (Local Disk (C:) / Windows / Fonts; right click to Fonts folder and select paste. done. (no need to reboot)
Only when i want to input text in Vietnamese then i have to select one of 90 Vni fonts from Caption Format in Slide Options windows of Proshow Producer and also select VNI Windows for encoding box from Unikey Windows
select VNI for Typing style box from Unikey Windows. done.
From Selected Caption Text will appear serveral confused characters but correctly from preview windows and from dvd aftter publish. It works mostly same way with Proshow Gold if my memory is right.
24年間以上英語を 余り使わないので、言葉と文法が おかしいだと 思いますが this is my best. 

Postby Naoki » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:01 am

Dear Matane,
Thank you for your advice and Sorry for my long silence.
There are many Japanese fonts available in Unicode TTF as well.
matane wrote:konichiwa naoki 様、
- there are more than 90 sets of Vni fonts in one pack that can download for free which help typing Vietnamese in Proshow producer even Proshow Gold using with VPS Key or Unikey.
- coppy all those Vni Fonts and paste to (Local Disk (C:) / Windows / Fonts; right click to Fonts folder and select paste. done.

I have almost understood the situation after various trials. External Unicode fonts, except Japanese fonts, works by following the simple process mentioned above. The Vietnamese may well work out.
For the Japanese fonts, it definitely works for the CAPTIONS in the left screen. So, the Japanese Unicodes are almost working. But those in the main/right screens get scrambled, systematically.
In conclusion, being the Unicode TTF is a necessary condition (minimum requirement), but is not the sufficient condition for the PSP.
More recently, similar discussion of "Using non-English language" is also going on. The situation seems to be the same. The languages which have a simple font (phonetic alphabets) structure are covered but the other languages which have a complex structure are not. The Photodex engineer would say it is out of their coverage.
However, it is a great pity not to cover the minor languages, because the Goal is already very CLOSE. The PSP actually handles the Japanese fonts in the process of the left-hand side CAPTIONS. Just a minor extention in the program or change in the linkage is good enough, I believe.
Naoki, Tsukuba Japan

Next

Return to PSP - General Discussion