Trouble with new Slide Styles Pack 5 from Photodex.com

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

Trouble with new Slide Styles Pack 5 from Photodex.com

Postby longiron07 » Sat May 11, 2013 5:27 am

Can anyone help me with this???
I recently purchased Slide Style Pack 5. I'm having a little with some of the styles showing "Missing File" when I use the style. They seem to be things like "shading", "vignettes", gradients. The notes say the following...This layer is a supporting element in the style. When I hover my mouse over the missing layer, it will say something like...vignette.png missing. Where do I find these elements?
Any help would be much appreciated!!!
Thanks

Re: Trouble with new Slide Styles Pack 5 from Photodex.com

Postby im42n8 » Sat May 11, 2013 6:23 am

I would imagine that the item that's called missing is contained in the style archive file (the file with the extension PXS).

I don't know how Photodex supplies their files. Ordinarily, you will extract them to a particular folder (I would expect that maybe Photodex has the original archive file password protected or something like that?).

However, wherever the final style files are found, you should import them from within Proshow. Click on the Effects button in the main screen ("fx"). In the resulting dialog window, click on "+add", then navigate to where those effects are located, highlight all of them you want to install, click on "Open." This should put them into the program and extract all of the reference material associated with each file. They should be ready to use then.

If you've already done this once (and maybe a 2nd time just in case ... to take care of murphy's law...), then maybe there IS a problem with the styles.

However, you might check out the ProgramData folder (which might be hidden). In it, look for the Photodex\ProShow\Styles folder. This is where your styles are located. Under that is the Cache folder. This is where the style "show" and the style "cache" files (that is, show.psh and show.pxc) for each style. If there are any assets associated with that file (for instance, any PNG files), you'll find them there too.

So, you can do a search on that folder (the Cache folder) to see if windows can find any of the "missing" files there. If not, I'd try reinstalling the styles and see if that works for you. If you're reinstalled them and they're still not being found, contact Photodex ... that'd be my next guess...

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby cherub » Sat May 11, 2013 6:58 am

longiron07 wrote:Can anyone help me with this???
I recently purchased Slide Style Pack 5. I'm having a little with some of the styles showing "Missing File" when I use the style. They seem to be things like "shading", "vignettes", gradients. The notes say the following...This layer is a supporting element in the style. When I hover my mouse over the missing layer, it will say something like...vignette.png missing. Where do I find these elements?
Any help would be much appreciated!!!
Thanks

You shouldn't be getting these errors, and you shouldn't have to search manually for the missing files. This is not a normal behavior.
Photodex' styles come with an installer (exe file) that is supposed to extract the styles, and to place them in the directory where they should be, depending on the user's operating system.

So, my guess is that something on your computer blocked the styles from installing correctly.
Either your Operating Systems was not properly identified, or you yourself installed the styles on a different drive than where they were supposed to be.

Another possible reason that comes to my mind, are the settings of your security program (firewall/antivirus) which may be blocking some functions of Producer.

Was Producer open, by any chance, when you installed the styles?

Can you tell us some more about your computer and how you installed the styles?

Postby dsprincis » Sat May 11, 2013 8:01 am

This is the exact same problem that I had and when I contacted Photodex, they advised me as follows...

Thank you for contacting Photodex. Lets try deleting the programs cache files...
1) Right-Click the icon you usually use to launch the application.
2) Click "Properties".
3) Look for a button called “Find Target…” or “Open File Location” which takes you to the program files.
4) Please locate a file in this window called "proshow.phd" and delete it. Do the same for "proshow.cfg"
5) Then try again.

If that didn't work, lets try reinstalling with the following steps...

1) Please go to "Start" > "Control Panel" and choose "Add/Remove Programs" (Windows 2000/XP) or "Programs and Features" (Windows 7 and Vista) and uninstall ProShow as well as the "Photodex Presenter". NOTE: When uninstalling ProShow you will not lose your saved shows.
2) Download the program with a browser such as Internet Explorer or Firefox. You can start your download at the following URL:
http://files.photodex.com/release/pspro_50_3297.exe
3) Then, disable any system security you might have including all anti-virus, anti-spyware, or personal firewalls. Usually, such security programs are represented by small icons next to your clock/time. If you find an icon by your clock/time that represents a security program, right-click on that icon and choose "Disable", "Stop", "Quit", etc.
4) Next, just double-click on the install file you downloaded and it should take you through the installation process.

All I did was delete the proshow.cfg and proshow.phd files and everything is working fine now.
Darlene

Postby im42n8 » Sat May 11, 2013 10:11 am

Hmmm. I would believe that the PHD file would be suspect tho I haven't seen it affect styles before (at least not style resources). But, a corrupted database can do a lot of weird stuff. As for the CFG file, that's a new one since I don't see how it affects the location of anything (just show configuration stuff). But, you never know what a corrupted program file might cause the program to do!

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby longiron07 » Sat May 11, 2013 12:08 pm

Thanks All, for your wonderful advise! Removing the proshow.cfg & proshow.phd files worked like a charm. A recently installed upgrade to Proshow Producer most certainly caused the issue. I had not used the program since the upgrade and did not relate the issue with the new install. What a wonderful resource all of you expert users are to folks such as myself. Thanks again!!

Postby dickmr » Thu May 04, 2017 8:54 pm

Four years later I have run into this problem with styles also. I did a search and found this thread. Deleting the PHD and CFG files COMPLETELY works. Have never run into this problem before and am certainly glad this was addressed and was solved back in 2013 on the ProshowEnthusiasts.Com. and that it appeared on an internet search !!

Return to PSP - General Discussion