Swinging Text

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related
Esteemed Member

Swinging Text

Postby Robino » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:08 am

Can something like this be done in Proshow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=836B3VaJtSY - this sample was done in After Effects.
Thanks - Robin

Re: Swinging Text

Postby Betty » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:03 pm

The following thread includes a tutorial on swinging text.
Perhaps this will be helpful for you.

http://www.proshowenthusiasts.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=22314&hilit=swinging+text

Regards,
Betty

Postby cherub » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:45 pm

Robino wrote:Can something like this be done in Proshow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=836B3VaJtSY - this sample was done in After Effects.
Thanks - Robin

Yes, definitely. All these effects are now possible in Producer 6.
Since a text layer can be put under a mask, you can easily create the effect where the text pops from the right (or the left) of that vertical line.
To create the swinging effect, you will need to establish the rotation center of each text layer, and to build keyframes and/or modifiers on the Vertical Tilt.
Sorry that I can't be more specific, but I'm not on my computer right now.

Postby heckydog » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:41 pm

The pendulum swing shown in the YT video is a little bit different than just swinging text. It does involve a formula to calculate the length of the swing, the speed of the swing, and the decay until it comes to a stop. In AE there are different formulas depending on whether you're working with text or objects such as photos. As far as I know, there's no way to do the effect directly in PSP except by trial and error to make the pendulum swing look natural.

I did some test videos in January 2012 based on the formulas that were probably used in the YT video. Here's a link to my video: Pendulum Swing Test. This was made in PSP using keyframes created in After Effects.

I never tried to adapt those formulas to work in PSP. Since there were only 11 or 12 keyframes, it was easier just to copy the keyframes to PSP after changing the anchor point (rotation center in PSP :( )

If you have After Effects and want to play with the effect, I can give you the formulas. Or I can give you some sets of keyframes that you can apply to your text or pictures.

Joe

Postby cherub » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:04 pm

Joe,
I think that in a previous thread, some time ago, we have already discusses the pendulum effect in AfterEffects vs. Producer.
I mentioned then, and I'm going to say it again here: Poducer does have the means to control the speed of the modifier, as well as the slowing down till complete stop.
True, we do it by the eye, and by trial and error. But, I really don't think that calculating a special formula is needed here.
Swinging is a rather simple effect.

Esteemed Member

Postby Robino » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:28 pm

Thanks everyone -- I thought that if I upgraded to Producer 6

Joe, that is what I am looking for... I just dabble in After Effects using templates that I purchase. I was hoping that if I upgraded to Producer 6 I could use text and have the pendulum swing. I would love the keyframes you use to achieve this effect.

Postby heckydog » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:37 pm

Mona,

I don't recall the previous thread unless you're talking about the Origami effect back in August or September. However, swinging text is not the same as the pendulum effect. It seems we both agree that it's still necessary to keyframe it by eye and use trial and error if you're just working within PSP. I was merely giving Robin another option that would more closely mimic a real pendulum. The 'special formula' is used in After Effects and in essence all it's doing is creating a bunch of rotation angle keyframes. The same thing a person would do in PSP by trial and error only with a bit more precision.

Here's the formula I use for text. I didn't create it, I'll leave that to other mathematical minds. Since it uses time as one of the variables, it's not easily adapted to any other program, afaik.

swings=3;
timeOffset=0.25;

v=valueAtTime(time-timeOffset*textIndex/textTotal)[0];
anim=2*Math.PI*v/100;
amp=easeOut(v,0,100,100,0);
Math.cos(anim*swings)*amp;

This next formula is a little simpler and can be used for objects of your choice. Again, I did not create this formula. It also uses time from a timeline as a variable.

veloc = 7;
amplitude = 80;
decay = .7;
amplitude*Math.sin(veloc*time)/Math.exp(decay*time)

Joe

Postby heckydog » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:41 pm

Robino wrote:Thanks everyone -- I thought that if I upgraded to Producer 6

Joe, that is what I am looking for... I just dabble in After Effects using templates that I purchase. I was hoping that if I upgraded to Producer 6 I could use text and have the pendulum swing. I would love the keyframes you use to achieve this effect.

Robin,

I'll work on a couple different ones and PM you with the info in the next day or so. I'll do some at different speeds and you can choose whichever ones you want.

Joe

Postby im42n8 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:52 pm

I have to agree with Mona on this one... there's nothing special about the "pendulum" effect in PSP. You can do it with a modifier (based on multiple actions) or simply with keyframes. You can do this using text layers and graphics ... and you can adjust the rotation center to change how the pendulum moves (like the length of the swing, for instance). You don't need a 3rd party program to create a pendulum motion for any graphic or text layer. The link that Betty gave is a decent introduction to how to do it. While not definitive, it will get you started. To do it right will require a bit of work at first ... but, it's not rocket science. You just have to play with the settings until you get something you're satisfied with....

Modifiers aren't very sophisticated for this but can be used to create the effect... you can create a dampening effect by adding or multiplying various functions (actions) together ... and/or using keyframes to modify or create the effect.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Esteemed Member

Postby Robino » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:56 am

Thanks Joe I would appreciate that.

Postby heckydog » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:33 am

Robin,

I have sent you a PM with a link to a zip file and notes on how to use them.

Joe

Postby heckydog » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:01 am

im42n8 wrote:I have to agree with Mona on this one... there's nothing special about the "pendulum" effect in PSP. You can do it with a modifier (based on multiple actions) or simply with keyframes. You can do this using text layers and graphics ... and you can adjust the rotation center to change how the pendulum moves (like the length of the swing, for instance). You don't need a 3rd party program to create a pendulum motion for any graphic or text layer. The link that Betty gave is a decent introduction to how to do it. While not definitive, it will get you started. To do it right will require a bit of work at first ... but, it's not rocket science. You just have to play with the settings until you get something you're satisfied with....

Modifiers aren't very sophisticated for this but can be used to create the effect... you can create a dampening effect by adding or multiplying various functions (actions) together ... and/or using keyframes to modify or create the effect.

Dale

"To do it right will require a bit of work at first ... but, it's not rocket science."
"You just have to play with the settings until you get something you're satisfied with..."
"you can create a dampening effect by adding or multiplying various functions (actions) together ... and/or using keyframes to modify or create the effect. "
"You can do it with a modifier (based on multiple actions) or simply with keyframes."

You're totally missing my point with your statements. AE can generate the rotation angles (to 6 decimal places) needed for the effect. It makes it unnecessary to play with any settings.

If you can do it with just modifiers and no keyframes that would be great, I'd like to see it.

Joe

Re: Swinging Text - Key Framed

Postby debngar » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:22 am

Try these settings, though the Text Layer Effect Rotation Center will be different for each TEXT LAYER set to a different pan position other than the example here of 50/50.

Slide transition in and out : 1
Slide time: 3
Insert text layer and type something short
Text Settings: PAN 50/50
Use CUT on Text Layer KF 1 Transition IN

Rotation Ctr Y: -5 all key frames

-------------------Vertical Tilt
KF 1 - 0.75 Cut --- 90
KF 2 - 1.00 -------- -30
KF 3 - 1.15 -------- 30
KF 4 - 1.30 -------- -15
KF 5 - 1.45 -------- 15
KF 6 - 1.60 -------- 0
KF 7 - end Fade --- 0

Note the pattern of reduction by half for each full swing to create the motion.

The setting for LAYER EFFECTS Rotation Center Y for each text layer depends on the Pan Y TEXT SETTING position.

So.....

If Text Settings Pan = 30/60 then set LAYER EFFECTS Rotation Center Y to 5. This reflects a simple math proportionate difference of a positive 10 to the original pan y setting of 50. (If 50 = -5 then 60 = 5)

I'm not sure these sample settings will make the effect look the same for every font and font size as each font is a bit different in how it looks "centered" on the screen at 50/50. What others stated is true in that this animation takes a certain amount of fiddling and experimenting to make it look nice. I think users' varying satisfaction in how the the effect looks in the end may be a factor in the settings too.

Here's a link to a tutorial sample of the effect. I did it in haste so I hope it's enough to at least give users a general idea of how this could be key framed without modifiers. To add other text layers in a slide that display at later intervals means shoving all key frames in the other text layers further to the right in the slide time while maintaining the same amounts of time between them. Hope that makes sense

http://www.photodex.com/share/debngar/xp4cpmg4
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Esteemed Member

Postby Robino » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:44 pm

Thanks Deb - it works for now...

Joe I haven't tried your settings that you PM'd me, but will give it a try --- thanks.

Postby debngar » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:06 am

Robino wrote:Thanks Deb - it works for now...

You're welcome Robin. For me, it took less trial-and-error time determining the rotation center than to find the key frame timing I was happy with for the finished effect.

Others might be interested in viewing a display of that portion of your show when you're finished with it so we can see how it worked out for you. :D
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Next

Return to PSP - General Discussion