Problems getting DVD to play after burning

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

Problems getting DVD to play after burning

Postby Bald Runner » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:25 pm

This post is for information rather than asking a question. It is possible that it may be of use to somebody at some time.

I have recently been having some problems with DVD’s created with both ImgBurn and Proshow Producer itself, in that the discs would not play on my standalone Samsung Blu Ray/DVD player.
I have had this DVD player since 2012 and had no previous issues with it.
I have never had this problem before and I was using the same brand of DVD. Indeed, I had a DVD disc created with PSP 3 years ago and I put it into the DVD player and it still worked so I was going batty not knowing what was happening. The discs played OK on the PC but not the DVD player. The show was for a paying customer and I was running out of time to get the discs finished by a deadline.
The project was slightly different in that for the first time, I had two shows on the disc, was that the problem? Surely not…
Or was it that I had selected the option to add additional content?
I then methodically unticked boxes such as ‘Include Original Photos’ and ‘Include Additional content’, burning a new disc with each amendment until I solved the problem.
It appears that ‘Include Additional Content’ was the problem.
A project of two shows with the original photos included played on the DVD player, hurrah!
When the additional content was added, (a folder containing the music purchased for the project) the DVD player would not play it. A message generated stated 'Cannot play this disc' and it was merely ejected, whereas I was dejected...
I’m not sure why this happened but the purpose of my post is for information in case anybody else has a similar problem.

Mark
Photoshop CS6; ProShow Producer 7; Bluff Titler Pro;
Affinity Photo; Affinity Designer; Affinity Publisher

Re: Problems getting DVD to play after burning

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:40 pm

Interesting. I have not had issues with an additional folder on the disk with images etc. in that folder although I have seen issues where the contents of the folder you meant to add were put at the top level instead of in the expected folder (typically, you have to have a folder with a folder in it with your "extras" then point to the top level to get the sub folder to show up on the disk at the top level). One thing to keep in mind when troubleshooting stuff like this - Imageburn has the option (checkbox) to "verify" - after burning, it will go back and re-read the disk to verify it matches what was supposed to be there. That can help eliminate the burner and disk as part of the problem.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby cherub » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:29 pm

When the additional content was added, (a folder containing the music purchased for the project) the DVD player would not play it.

I'm not sure about this, but your problems could also be related to the DRM (Digital Rights Management) of the music that you tried to include on that DVD.

Postby Bald Runner » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:51 am

Thank you both for your replies.

Mikey, I did 'verify' and all was well.

Cherub, I had paid for both tracks via Amazon and iTunes (1 from each) so I was entitled to use them.
Would that then cause a problem adding it to a disc? I would have thought that once you buy the track you can put it on a disc?

Mark

Postby heckydog » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:06 am

Bald Runner wrote: . . . .

Cherub, I had paid for both tracks via Amazon and iTunes (1 from each) so I was entitled to use them.
Would that then cause a problem adding it to a disc? I would have thought that once you buy the track you can put it on a disc?

Mark

I don't think it's a DRM issue . . . . . . but . . . . . even though you bought the songs on itunes and Amazon, it does not give you the right to put them on another disc that you are selling to a paying customer of yours. iow, you don't have the right to sell music you bought from itunes. But I'm pretty sure Imgburn won't know the difference anyway.

When you add a folder with additional content to a DVD, it's not supposed to be accessible from a standalone dvd player. It should only be accessible from a computer. My guess is there's a problem with the folder structure that's causing the issues. Without seeing the whole folder structure it's just a guess of course.

Joe

Postby Bald Runner » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:31 am

Thanks Joe,

I hear you but in actual fact, the customer pays for the tunes, I just facilitate the purchase as I need to have them available to apply to the project. I guess its moot point but as you said, ImgBurn doesn't know that...

Mark

Return to PSP - General Discussion