Audio/Music levels

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

Audio/Music levels

Postby Ezra » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:37 pm

What technique do you use to level diifferent audio (music) in your shows. I find that each song volume is different and simply listening doesn't quite do it. Also With the volume percentage - Does 100% represent full volume? What levels do you typically set the audio track to?

Ezra
System: Dell Inspiron 15 7000 series. Quad core i7 6700HQ Processor, 16gb DDR3L 1600mhz ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960m 4GB GDDR5 card, Samsung 500GB SSD Samsung c: drive + 1TB (5400rpm) Hybrid HDD with 8GB Flash cache. Windows 10 Home 64bit. Producer V6.

Re: Audio/Music levels

Postby trondmyhre » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:36 am

I don't know which version of PSP you have, but in PSP8 we got a new function, which is supposed to solve your problem. Take a look at this link:

http://www.proshowblog.com/2016/08/pros ... -round-up/

The function is not perfect, but is very good help.

Trond

Postby Ezra » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:31 pm

Thanks for replying. I am currently using producer 6. (Listed in my signature :) ).
In 6 I can adjust the audio levels 0-100 percent.....which percent is considered the same level the song was recorded at?
I have PSP 7 which I have not installed yet. Does 7 have the audio normalization?

Ezra
System: Dell Inspiron 15 7000 series. Quad core i7 6700HQ Processor, 16gb DDR3L 1600mhz ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960m 4GB GDDR5 card, Samsung 500GB SSD Samsung c: drive + 1TB (5400rpm) Hybrid HDD with 8GB Flash cache. Windows 10 Home 64bit. Producer V6.

Postby trondmyhre » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:58 am

No, PSP7 hasn't volume leveling (I assume that's what you mean by "audio normalization"). This feature came with PSP8.

Trond

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:44 am

Normalizing your audio can be done using the free version of Audacity. It can do many other things and is actually pretty good.

Regards,
-Vernon

Postby nsd3 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:30 am

Normalising isn’t the right tool for matching the perceived loudness of a bunch of audio tracks. All normalising will do is find the level of the highest (peak) amplitude within your audio track and then amplify the whole audio track by the difference between the peak amplitude and the desired reference. As an example, if the peak amplitude is -5dB, and you normalise to -0.1dB, the overall gain applied to the whole track will be +4.9dB.

The problem with this approach is it takes no notice of the actual content of the audio, if you like how much energy is in the music. You could have an audio track that has a peak amplitude of -10dB, but it will sound louder than another track that may have a peak amplitude of -3dB. Were you to normalise both those tracks to -0.1dB, the audio track that was originally at -10dB will be excessively louder than the other audio.

The cheapest tool you can use for matching audio loudness levels is your ears. Play the tracks back and increase the gain on the tracks you feel are quieter, and decrease the gain on the tracks you feel are louder. Chances are, if you feel the audio seems relatively matched loudness wise, so will your intended audience.

There are software tools that perform very good analysis and loudness matching, but come at a cost. I use Adobe Audition to match loudness and import into PSP8 as it does a better job than PSP8’s built in loudness matching. That’s not to say the PSP8 loudness matching is no good, far from it! I just find the Adobe Audition tool much more flexible in its use. For most folk, if you’re on PSP8 or are thinking of upgrading, the built in loudness matching function will be fine. I’m fortunate to have access to better tools so I use them.

For those curious about the debate regarding whole loudness matching, the following link http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/end-loudness-war is a good place to start.

Steve

Postby dickmr » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:35 am

Great article.

Return to PSP - General Discussion