UK created DVD to play in USA

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

UK created DVD to play in USA

Postby Philbee » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:48 am

Hi all,
I live in the UK, I've created a slideshow in Pro Show Producer 8 for a friend who is going to the USA next month. I want to put the slideshow on a DVD, but I need to know will the show play in the USA ? as UK format is PAL, and America is NTSC , or can anyone tell me what my best option is for burning to DVD. Thanks.

Re: UK created DVD to play in USA

Postby heckydog » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:05 pm

The vast majority of dvd players in the USA only play NTSC.

Just to be safe, your best option is to burn it as NTSC.

Joe

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:25 am

There is another option worth considering - many (most?) of the newer TV's have a USB port on them. You can plug in a thumb drive with your show on it and it plays very nicely. You can create a show in 720p mp4 for example, copy it to the flash drive then play it on the TV with no DVD needed at all. Not what you asked, but it is another option to consider - I have started creating stuff like that for home without burning a DVD at all. The advantage of the MP4 is that you can play that on almost everything these days including computers.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby bobradarbob » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:19 am

I agree with Mikey. One other thing that could be an issue is DVD Region number. I think Europe is a different region than USA. Make the file like Mikey says and DVD Region is NOT an issue.

Bob

Postby heckydog » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:23 am

bobradarbob wrote:I agree with Mikey. One other thing that could be an issue is DVD Region number. I think Europe is a different region than USA. Make the file like Mikey says and DVD Region is NOT an issue.

PSP makes region free dvd's so that is not an issue if the OP still needs to burn a dvd.

Postby Philbee » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:34 am

Thanks for the replies, I burnt 2 DVD's one as PAL for here in the UK, and the same show as NTSC for her to take to America, so hopefully she is sorted now. As I understand PSP burns discs region free so I'm fairly confident it will play in the US.
I did notice on both DVD's when I looked at the properties of the disc in Windows, both had the same file type as UDF, does that sound normal ?

Postby heckydog » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:50 pm

Yes, that is normal. On the surface, PAL and NTSC files would look the same. But if you open an IFO file or use MediaInfo to look at the VOB files, that's where you'll see the different specs for frame rate, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Disk_Format

Joe

Return to PSP - General Discussion