Future of Proshow

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

Re: Future of Proshow

Postby mrdcambs » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:54 am

Mona: thank you for replying so quickly. It is reassuring to know that PSP should continue to work in the sad event that Photodex disappears.

Regards - Mike - UK

Valued Member

Postby Lin Evans » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:54 am

Folks, there are a number of Proshow users who are now using PicturesToExe (PTE) and are discovering that it offers many of the identical functions of ProShow along with other exciting and useful features which many on the forum here have been asking to have added to Proshow for many years.

PicturesToExe will be released both as a dedicated MacIntosh program and in 64 bit Windows format so many of the things which you have wanted for Proshow will be available in PTE. The developers of PTE listen to their users and responses to issues are daily.

Should Photodex not be able to continue and Proshow not be available for updates, have a look at PTE because it may be the solution you need.

http://www.wnsoft.com

Best regards,

Lin

Esteemed Member

Postby twodoor55 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:35 am

oh my I have been out of touch for sometime, I am hoping that they continue - I love the program and have used it for many of my show's, creating lasting memories. When did all this come about.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
Thomas A. Edison
US inventor (1847 - 1931)

Valued Member

Postby john54 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:06 am

Swap ProShow to PicturesToExe is like switching a horse to a donkey.

Valued Member

Postby Lin Evans » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:19 am

Postby hcajones » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:41 am

I am glad that my inquiry about potential alternatives to ProShow (should Photodex fold) has generated some useful information. John, you clearly don't think that PicturesToExe is a reasonable alternative to ProShow, but your statement is not helpful. Why isn't it a reasonable alternative? Can you provide an answer that advances the discussion?

Thank you.

Valued Member

Postby john54 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:17 am

Why isn't it a reasonable alternative?
Because currently, I do not see any program as an alternative to ProShow Producer. Maybe the closest one is Magix Photostory Deluxe?
Best regards.

Valued Member

Postby Lin Evans » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:27 am

John,

You're not providing a reason except your personal opinion. How about some hard facts?

Did you know that PicturesToExe is used by the vast, vast majority of winners of international audio/visual competitions world-wide? Do you think that people who make audio visual shows for international competitions would choose a product which didn't deliver?

Proshow Producer is a great product, but there are serious concerns about its future. Just voicing an opinion in the face of hard evidence to the contrary isn't helping people make decisions. I posted links to three videos which demonstrates the various things possible with PTE. There is simply nothing that can be done in the way of image manipulation with Producer which can't also be done with PTE; but there are many, many thing possible with PTE which can't be done with Producer so please tell the forum what it is that make PTE not a suitable alternative should Producer stop being supported.

Best regards,

Lin

Valued Member

Postby john54 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:24 pm

Lin.
As an amateur, I am with Photodex for about seven years. At that time I created a few hundred shows and projects (check my YT channel) and just like you, I am very concerned about the future of PSP.In the last two weeks, I downloaded and tested Icecream, Movavi, Photostory and PicturesToExe Slideshow Makers.In my opinion the closest to my requirements is precisely Photostory Deluxe, not PTE. However, all these programs are far from the PSP level and that's what I meant to write my first comment.
Regards, John

Postby bsalisbury » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:25 pm

Lin - PicturetoExe looks very promising. In my research I could not find a clear answer as to whether external editors can be used for images, audio and video while in the program. Can you shed some light on this? Thanks, Brian

Postby hcajones » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:33 pm

John, you say: ". . . all these programs are far from the PSP level and that's what I meant to write my first comment." I think what people are saying is that while this statement gives us your opinion, it doesn't give us any useful information. What, specifically, are the things/qualities/functions of PSP that would be lacking elsewhere? This isn't asked to be argumentative. This is asked because unless I know in what specific ways another app may be worse than/different from/better than Proshow, I have no basis on which to make a decision, if it ever comes to that. Thanks.

Valued Member

Postby Lin Evans » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:44 pm

In PTE you can call an external editor for both videos and images by right clicking on that object in the objects list which elicits a drop-down menu. There isn't an option for calling an external editor for audio files, but the audio features with PTE are very comprehensive including complete waveform, unlimited tracks and even the ability to export the entire audio track to a single mp3 if desired. It's also possible to take the audio from a video and easily convert it to the full audio waveform so anything that can be done with selected audio mp3, wav, etc., can also be done with the audio from a video. You can also use a video as a seamless background for your shows with PTE. Most of the functions of an image editor are built in with PTE including contrast, brightness, sharpness, levels, hue, saturation, changes in tone, etc. These all can be easily controlled by keframe precision to the nearest 1/1000th second.

Best regards,

Lin

Postby bsalisbury » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:53 pm

Many thanks Lin - I will give the program a try because I find PSP limiting with respect to video files and audio tracks. While I have used it for many years and generally like the program for its ability with images, I think Photodex's response to user's concerns about its future don't suggest a positive outcome. Like many companies that were initially quite innovative, I believe it has been overtaken by technological advancements and changing user demands. Regards, Brian

Valued Member

Postby john54 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:27 pm

hcajones wrote: I think what people are saying is that while this statement gives us your opinion, it doesn't give us any useful information

So read this, please:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21089

Postby hcajones » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:13 pm

Thank you. I went to the links you gave me. As far as I can tell, one of them has to do with the pros and cons 7 - 8 years ago. Offhand, I'm not confident that the way things were 7 - 8 years ago is the way things are today. The other link takes me to a help video for ProShow, but doesn't seem to connect to the issues we're discussing.

Perhaps I can ask the question a different way. Based on your experience, if I were to use PTE after having used PSP for quite a while, what is it about PTE that would make me unhappy? I know you think it's "not as good" or "lacking," but what is it, specifically, with PTE that I will have cause to complain about?

Please understand -- I'm not pushing for PTE. I'm just trying to gather objective information about what I will do when and if PhotoDex stops being reliable.

Thanks.

PreviousNext

Return to PSP - General Discussion