FOOD FOR THOUGH (IMPORTANT INFORMATION)

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

FOOD FOR THOUGH (IMPORTANT INFORMATION)

Postby harpo » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:22 pm

Hi all,

This has been talked about before.

With the uncertainty of the future of ProShow and the owners not wishing to comment.

Each time you install the Proshow Program, including Styles etc on an existing computer or a new computer you have to activate/register the software via the Photodex website.

If the owners don’t do the right thing and let us know their intensions/closure or put something in place so the software can be used without access to their website your software has a limited life.

Also the software is 32bit, sooner or later Microsoft Windows won’t support 32bit.

They are still selling this software without comment.

If this was another forum people would be jumping up and down.

I don't feel sorry for these people.

John

Site Admin

Re: FOOD FOR THOUGH (IMPORTANT INFORMATION)

Postby MG - Admin » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:40 am

harpo wrote:Each time you install the Proshow Program, including Styles etc on an existing computer or a new computer you have to activate/register the software via the Photodex website.

If the owners don’t do the right thing and let us know their intensions/closure or put something in place so the software can be used without access to their website your software has a limited life.

John

Photodex has stated that activation servers will remain in place indefinitely so there should be no concerns.

Regarding 32 bit support, there has been nothing announced from Microsoft stating that 32 bit software will not be supported going forward. The Proshow software will continue to run for years to come.

I don't know what the future holds for the Proshow software, but in it's current state it works fine and that won't change just because newer versions or updates discontinue. Pontiac stopped making cars years ago, but there are still a lot of them on the road running just fine.

Esteemed Member

Postby quetzal » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:34 pm

Thank Greg for this message. quetzal

Postby hcajones » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:13 pm

I am a hobby user and do not try to follow the technical issues regarding servers and whether 32-bit will continue to be supported. However, on a purely practical and common-sense basis, I am very skeptical about the idea that a product as to which no one any longer claims ownership, and as to which functionality requires servers over which no user has any control, can continue to be relied on. The potential for failure is very high, it seems to me, and with an application like this, the ripple effects of a even a tiny failure can be huge.

If PhotoDex's owner will meaningfully communicate about what's going on, that would be reassuring. In the absence of that, I hope people will continue the discussion in another link about potential alternatives to ProShow -- just in case.

Return to PSP - General Discussion