Switch to full style
Discuss anything ProShow Producer related
Post a reply

Template Question

Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:33 pm

Hi All:

When a template is created and saved, where is the file located on the hard drive? I have see several posts on this subject but still can't locate the files for any template I've saved.

I have looked in DOCUMENTS & SETTINGS/"MY NAME"/ and then no more leads to a folder or file.
I have looked in PROGRAM FILES/PHOTODEX/PROSHOW PRODUCER/TEMPLATES and only the templates that were provided with the program are there.

I have done a "search" using the name of the template I saved, starting from "C Drive" and nothing. If I check on the program and see what templates I have, the ones I made are still there and accessable, so gotta be viable.

I am running XP Pro for my system and PSP version 3.0.1935.

Where are they located? Can they be deleted?

Thanks,
Tru

Re: Template Question

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:59 am

ve6tp wrote:Hi All:

When a template is created and saved, where is the file located on the hard drive? I have see several posts on this subject but still can't locate the files for any template I've saved.

I have looked in DOCUMENTS & SETTINGS/"MY NAME"/ and then no more leads to a folder or file.
I have looked in PROGRAM FILES/PHOTODEX/PROSHOW PRODUCER/TEMPLATES and only the templates that were provided with the program are there.

I have done a "search" using the name of the template I saved, starting from "C Drive" and nothing. If I check on the program and see what templates I have, the ones I made are still there and accessable, so gotta be viable.

I am running XP Pro for my system and PSP version 3.0.1935.

Where are they located? Can they be deleted?

Thanks,
Tru

They are in c:\Documents and Settings"YourUserName"\Application Data\Photodex\ProShow Producer\Templates
Of course they can be deleted. You may import them in the Template directory of Producer but be careful if you install a new version over the existing installation they may be erased. If you install a new version in a new directory you will have to move them again from the other template directory.
When opening a template Producer searches in both the Application Data directory and its own template directory
Have fun with templates

Jean-Pierre

Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:04 am

One tip here that applies to lots of files, not just templates -- when you
save one then can't figure out where you really saved it (whatever it
is), there are two things to try

1) use the "Search" feature (from Start -> Search) to find where you
put the silly thing if you remember any part of the name you saved it under.

2) From within the same application you saved the first one, go to the save
function again and figure out from the dialog box just where it is saving
things.

I am forever losing files this way (and having to find them). Some
applications save to somewhere under "Mydocuments", some save
to their own directory under "Program files" somewhere, some to the
current directory, some to the last directory saved to and some seem
to depend on the phase of the moon to determine where to save them :D
This method will work for all files that you have "misplaced" (I speak
from experience ... :wink: )

mikey

Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:33 am

Hey Fellas:

Thanks for the reply and helping hand. But what you have both suggested, I have done before starting this posting and I had stated on my posting that:

1. "I have looked in DOCUMENTS & SETTINGS/"MY NAME"/ and then no more leads to a folder or file. "

So Jean-Pierre, I have already done this. Just to clarify: I click on DOCUMENTS & SETTINGS. I click on my name TRU. But as I said, there is no folder showing under that directory that is named "Application Data". There is a folder named "Application Datatbskin", but in that folder, there are no files. It is completely void of any files in that folder. Also, there is no folder in this area or for that matter, under DOCUMENTS & SETTINGS, that are named "Photodex", none named "ProShow Producer", none named "Templates".

I had also said:
2. I have looked in PROGRAM FILES/PHOTODEX/PROSHOW PRODUCER/TEMPLATES and only the templates that were provided with the program are there.

Belive me, there is no folder in the PROGRAM FILES/PHOTOEX/PROSHOW PRODUCER/TEMPLATES that are of the templates I made and saved while using the PSP program for saving templates. In this area and in the TEMPLATES folder, there are only the ones that were originally included with the installation of the PSP program. None of the templates I saved are in this folder.

So Jean-Pierre, again thanks for the suggestions, but these attempts to find my files have already been done to no avail..

Mikey:

Good to hear from you again. However, what you have suggested is exactly what I had tried before I posted, but it too was unsuccessful.

As I stated in the posting: "I have done a "search" using the name of the template I saved, starting from "C Drive" and nothing. If I check on the program and see what templates I have, the ones I made are still there and accessable, so gotta be viable."

So, that did nothing to help the cause, but thanks for trying. I tried the SEARCH starting on "C" drive and even started the search on "My Computer". Still no file was found.

As far as reusing the method of the initial saving of the template, yes, that I have often used that action to trace back to where a file was first saved. I have a memory like a sive. But this will not work with using the program of PSP.

When you are ready to save a template while in the program, you click on the "Save as Template" and the window displayed only allows you to type in the name you want to give it. It does not let you "browse" for a location. So that idea can't be applied. But again, it was a good suggestion for normal searching for a saved ile location.

My thanks to both of you though. There has to be some location on the drive that hold these files. Guess I may have to ask the Tech's and see what they say. If I do, and if I get a reply, I'll let you guys know.

Best Regards,
Tru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:45 am

Hi there Tru

Have you checked to see if your "Hidden Files" are clicked on so that you may see them? I had an instance the other day where I couldn't find the path Application Data and it was because it wasn't turned on to view. Just a suggestion.

Linda :lol:

Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:05 am

Yes, I had seen your comment on searching on the "C:" drive - my search idea
was more along the lines of (if you are like me) have you looked on your OTHER
drives (I have C,D,E,F,G,H and I that are all either entire drives or partitions).
I was thinking you had only searched "C" when you have other "drives" (doesn't
everybody ??). The other thing you could do is search for all files modified in
the last hour for example. If that doesn't find it, then somehow you managed
to save it to /dev/null (unix joke). If searching by name in ALL drives or by
time modified doesn't find it, then I would say it didn't get saved (although it
is strange there was no error message). I have often found applications that
have an ENTIRELY different idea than I do of where a logical place to save things is !! :D

mikey

Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:55 am

Hi Tru,
This may not help but just thought I would stick my two cents in. Definitely make sure "hidden files" are viewable. then when I am at my wit's end as to where I put something or the computer put it, what it was called etc.....I search by using

*.xls
The xls would be replaced with the extension of whatever file you are trying to find. The *gets the computer to search for any file with that extension. Hugs Jan

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:42 pm

What a great group of members on this Forum. I doubt there is another one like it on the Internet.

Mikey, again thanks for your time and all your effort to help. I agree with all you have said, and for sure, nothing wrong in any of your suggestions. Take care and see ya later.

And for Jan and Linda ...... I owe both of you a 5 star steak and Lobster supper. Hmmmm couldn't ask for a nicer evening spending it with the two of you .....

You were both right on the money. I did have the "Hidden Files" turned off. I so seldom have a need to display them and had it truned off. Of course, when I took your advise PUFFFF ..... there they were.

Jan, your suggestions are never worth only 2¢ They are worth far more than that, more than likely worth thousands. Can ya place a price on the cost of frustration?? You always have a solid answer for me. And you just know, I'll be bugging you for more help in the future. Thanks so much.

My best to you all,
Tru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:25 pm

Way to go Jan !! ( I don't run into that issue since long ago I got totally fed
up with things hiding in the "hidden folders" and un-hided them) :lol:

My theory was "if something can hide stuff in there, I want to be able to look in there!"

mikey

Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:57 pm

Thanks Mikey, I frequently forget what I have called something. I am pretty organized but something slips by me every now and then.....cheers Jan

Tru,

Linda and I both live out here in BC so we will take you up on that if you are out this way :lol: Cheers Jan

Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:41 pm

Hey Jan, sounds good to me!!!!! WINE? maybe? Tru are you listening?

Linda

Create a shortcut

Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:51 pm

Hi all,

I found it also helps to create shortcut on my desktop to this folder. Much easier access to add, delete, look.

Bill
Post a reply