New to the forum

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related

New to the forum

Postby Scooter » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:15 am

Hello everyone,
My name is Scott Seal, friends call me Scooter, and I'm happy to have found this forum. I've been "prowling" around for about a week now and have really come across some useful information and as well as some really, really nice work. This is a great resource!

I've recently upgraded from PSG to PSP and have only recently began to delv into Photoshop Elements which, after all I've seen here, is an absolute must. I have also developed an interest in photography as well.

After reading throughout the forum I've seen many posts pertaining to "rules" and do's and dont's when creating shows. Could someone point me in the direction or list for me some general guidelines with regards to motion, zoom and anything else pertaining to slideshow creative process? I would like to post a show or two but am a little "timid" and hesitate.

Thanks in advance.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:46 am

Scooter, welcome to the forum.

Rules, it is all in the beholders eye :lol: . Sometimes it may be what we come accustomed to. Watch a TV documentary, see what types of transitions are used, what zooms and pans, how long a shot stays on screen. These people are usually the experts :?

OK here are mine.
Transitions, keep to a minimum number, only use a fancy one if appropriate.
Zooms and Pans, use them to focus in on a subject, or to place a subject in its surroundings.
Do not have movement on every slide, have some non-movement for the eye to focus.
Try to avoid pan and zoom movement during a 'fade' transition (particularly to a still of the same picture which produces a double image)
Slide Timing, appropriate to the slide action and the sound track.

I'm sure others will add to this.

Brian

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:57 am

Welcome !!

For some ideas on transitions and "things", check out this post
from a while back -- it points you to a 7 minute video at
Digital Juice (which has lost of cool stuff !!) and talks about
how transitions should be the "punctuation" of your show.

http://www.proshowenthusiasts.com/viewtopic.php?t=4181

Some very good ideas there (you might like to look through the
other stuff they have listed under DJTV too ). Requires quicktime
player to watch.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Scooter » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:32 am

Thanks much briancbb. Good point(s). I agree. gpsmikey, awesome link and thanks.
"If you listen to the pictures, you'll see the music."

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby 57Corvette » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:29 am

Scooter,

Welcome to the forum ....... I look forward to your participation. I see you have already added one show .. great start. Do things your way and don't be afraid to show your work here. Ask questions if you have them .... we're here to help.

Bob
Nikon D80
ProShow Producer
CS3 Extended
Paint Shop Pro xi

Postby nannybear » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:44 am

As above there are some regular rules, but to each her/his own. Less is more - but it also depends on the subject, the music.....welcome to the fold and ask away, we are only an email away. Cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

WELCOME

Postby HunnyB » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:45 am

:D
((((((Try to avoid pan and zoom movement during a 'fade' transition (particularly to a still of the same picture which produces a double image))))))))

I HOPE THERE ARE NO RULES. I have on occasion used the above "don'ts" posted by Brian. I have achieved some fabulous effects using this from
time to time. WE ALL HAVE OUR TECHNIQUES.
But, let me tell you ---- these great people on here have WONDERFUL tips and advice!!!!!
I have learned so much on here.
But everyone has their way of "creating". Some are better than others....LOL.
:oops: I have not posted a show yet, scared to see which category I will fall under........
If creating slideshows is in your blood and your passion, your shows will be great.
It's funny, I would not DARE post my 1st show on here, but I just might post the one I am
working on this week for my church. It's like anything else, you will get better with time (and alot of practice)!!!!!!
See ya around Scooter!!! P.S. Add your picture to the left.
HunnyB
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Postby Scooter » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:10 pm

Thanks Bob, Jan and HunnyB. Appreciate the warm welcome. I guess I need 50 posts before I can get my picture up here HunnyB. Will do my best.

Postby HunnyB » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:17 pm

Yea, I forgot......
:cry:
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:45 pm

Scooter -- welcome aboard and enjoy the ride! Here are a couple threads you may find of interest (apologies if I duplicate something you've seen)

http://www.proshowenthusiasts.com/viewtopic.php?t=2672

http://www.proshowenthusiasts.com/viewtopic.php?t=2702

And I agree that I've found it instructive to look at some of the sample show threads where comments and feedback have been given. Look at a few of the threads and the shows and see what you think--as everyone commented, it ultimately comes down to making a show that you and your audience are happy with. Nothing else matters but there are ways to improve the odds that the audience enjoys it.

Enjoy!
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby Scooter » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:50 pm

Thanks Dick for the links, and, thanks in general. I have been looking at as many as I can for the last week or so. This is a great hobby or business-depending on the person and I find the people who are into this have serious heart and soul! You are correct-always room to improve, grow, blah blah!

Look forward to more conversations!
Scooter.

Postby Scooter » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:01 pm

Dick, again, good links here you've sent me. This is good conversation re: motion. You're the man!

Postby dcbyrne » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:23 pm

Welcome aboard Scooter,
Here is a tip no one mentioned. You can post a photo of yourself so we can all see your handsom face. Nannybear (Jan) started this awhile ago and it has taken off very well. All you need to do is attach a photo of yourself 100x100 pixel to an e-mail addessed to mgregg99 (Mike). You will find him listed as the #1 member in the memberlist. You will also find his e-mail link there. Looking forward to seeing you. Again welcome to the forum. You will find all the help you need as I have from a wonderful group of people.

Douglas

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:22 am

Douglas

See about five posts above yours :roll:

Are you joining in the 'senior moments' movement with the rest of us ... or is it the wine :lol:

Brian

Senior moment

Postby dcbyrne » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:10 am

I don't know how I overlooked that, it has to be a senior moment I don't drink wine... Hay Scooter, never mind...

Thanks Brian,
Douglas

Next

Return to PSP - General Discussion