Vista vs. XP

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related
Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Tarafrost » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:55 pm

lisco wrote:I am sorry if my "Signature" has offended you or anyone else here. It was not my intent for it to do any harm.

It didn't offend me in the least. As my smiley's attested, I was just being picky in a curmudgeonly manner. ;-)

lisco wrote:2) I respect your opinion on religion and whether or not you decide to practice. By the way, I too, practice the religion of Pastafarianism. Among others. Also, I never said that the sinking of the Titanic was a real event. :wink:

Aha! We are of like mind. That should probably scare both of us if we think about it for too long!

lisco wrote:P.S. I'm really not sure how I should have taken your post, but I laughed about it and decided to pick back a little.

In jest, the way I intended it, and the way I took your rebuttal ;-)
....Andrzej (aka: the curmudgeon)

Tarafrost Photography: Specializing in Wild-Life
http://www.tarafrost.com

lostdutchman

Postby lostdutchman » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:14 pm

lisco wrote:
Tarafrost wrote:
Scott wrote:Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic

lisco,

How about this for a signature:

“All adventures, especially into new territory, are scaryâ€

Postby ozmoto » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:29 pm

I'm an old hand at using computers and various operating systems but a newbie to PSP .....

I recently purchased a new Laptop (a Dell) and purposely asked for XP rather than Vista.

Why?

* from previous experience changing/updating operating systems always creates some kind of problem - more usually hardware related rather than software related. eg printer driver doesn't work with new upgrade
* Vista may have a prettier interface but I know all the software I'm using works with XP
* Vista seems to require twice of everything that XP requires - double the RAM, double video RAM etc meaning I've got to spend more for similar performance.

No doubt I will upgrade to Vista once many/most/all of the bugs are ironed out. I always reinstall the operating system on a computer every 2 years or so to get everything working smoothly again.

Craig

Esteemed Member

Postby momsquad » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:38 pm

Okay guys......really........Flying Spaghetti monster??

Not only is this site extremely helpful.......the entertainment truly makes one "think." :roll:

Laughing,
Kim

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Tarafrost » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:17 pm

Kim wrote:Okay guys......really........Flying Spaghetti monster??

Yup. Did you check out the web site? It's worth reading what prompted the conception of the FSM.

Brilliant. ;-)
....Andrzej (aka: the curmudgeon)

Tarafrost Photography: Specializing in Wild-Life
http://www.tarafrost.com

Vista OK

Postby johny40165 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:48 pm

New here and only been playing with Producer for a few months, but Vista seems to be working just fine now that
I figured out where to store templates, etc. No problems that I have detected, but then I am a mere amateur compared to
most here..........XP trustworthy........Vista daring!!!!

Valued Member

If you choose XP instead of Vista on a new machine...

Postby Sigrid » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:40 pm

be aware of that you might have some hardware driver problems because not all manufacturers provide XP drivers.
And unless you take the 64bit Version of Vista 2 GB RAM is all that Windows can handle.
Nobody needs to replace a well functioning XP machine but to say that a new machine should be downgraded to XP makes me wonder what real experience people have. By all means have a multi boot machine.

Esteemed Member

Postby momsquad » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:11 am

Uh-Oh

Hi Sigrid,
I did go with Vista, 32-bit, with 4GB RAM. Am I in trouble??

Kim

Valued Member

Postby Sigrid » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:12 pm

hi momsquad,
no, of course not, the extra RAM is just not really used.

jpculver

Postby jpculver » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:06 pm

I have nothing to say about PSP, only the ongoing tag line discussion. If lisco and curmudgeon offend some with tag lines, I imagine mine is really offensive. :D Of course, what the heck do you think the squirrel is saying?

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:33 pm

jpculver wrote:I have nothing to say about PSP, only the ongoing tag line discussion. If lisco and curmudgeon offend some with tag lines, I imagine mine is really offensive. :D Of course, what the heck do you think the squirrel is saying?

What is the squirrel saying ???
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 4319&alb=0

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Esteemed Member

Postby momsquad » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:46 pm

Hello Sigrid,
Quick note to let you know, I received the lap today. Sure wish I would've asked a few more questions before ordering.......It appears the 32bit Vista reads 3GB of the 4GB RAM. Certainly more than I have now, which is good. I verified the computer does have the 4GB, but your right, it doesn't appear. Drats. I chose not to get the 64bit simply because I felt I was over-doing it for what I would be using the computer for and couldn't justify the extra cost. Additionally, not that much "out there" requires 64bit (well, at my level of usage anyway). Double drats. Didn't know the two (bit and RAM) were related. Oh well. Most importantly - it looks pretty!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for your note however. At least I had a clue why only 3GB was showing up on the screen.

Hugs,
Kim

Postby bigsewed » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:53 pm

Got to think that Photoshop will have 64 bit soon...
Wes

Previous

Return to PSP - General Discussion