Showdown

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related
Location: Beautiful Virginia Beach, Virginia StarlightPPS.com

Showdown

Postby alcain » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:21 am

Hi 'ya'll. I need some input from as many folks as possible. Here's the deal. I have a friend who has an IQ of about 3 times that of Mikey (that's a LOT). He thinks he knows everything about everything. He purchased Proshow producer (because he is not married and can afford to buy whatever, whenever he wants.) He is an expert at Photoshop, Particle Illusion, Audio, Video and how to train dogs. He has been after me to do a show with a contest theme between us. He wants the show to be called "Showdown". It will have a short intro introducing the show, then there will be a 3.5 minute show from each of us. Users of this group will critique the segments from each of us and a winner will evolve, judging from the comments. Am I up to this? First, ya'll tell me if you think I should accept this challenge. Second, he says the the 'group' should decide the subject of the show each of us is to do (we will both do the same show, but in our own interpretation and style). He monotors this group, but doesn't participate (or, so I think - he may be any one of you in disguise!!!) Let me know what you think. Thanks so much... ~al
Using Producer V4, PS CS5, and the Nikon D80, D90 & D7000 for all of my professional work.
BFA with a major in Communication Design, Texas State University, 1978
And now abideth faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Postby newtcruiser » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:28 am

Hey Al, sounds like a heck of a lot of fun for you and all of us on the forum. Go for it and we can all suggest different ideas for the subject. I will have to think hard on that one. This should be interesting!

Linda :lol:

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:10 pm

Al,

That sounds interesting.... take the challenge.... Couple of suggestion... find a third party sworn to secrecy to post both shows (that way no one will know which show belongs to which contestant).. Also, how about limiting all the "effects" to Producer generated items... in other words basically limiting video being generated in other programs and just dropping into Producer -- keep it native... (just a thought here)... OR another way to approach it is to limit the final show file size ...

But this sounds fun... you should certain go for it....

Take care,

Postby HunnyB » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:11 pm

Sounds like a lot of fun!!!
I am not sure what the show could be about.
Do ya'll have a hobby together, i.e. golf, hunting....?

HunnyB
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

andy

Postby andy » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:26 pm

Al, go for it!

and for the theme I suggest “Contrasting Colours (colors)â€
Last edited by andy on Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:26 pm

I'll certainly go with what Bob has said, a limit on .px file size will prevent too much over production in another editor (video) with the effects having to be mainly PSP. How about 30Mb for a .px file limit.

Brian

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Tarafrost » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:47 pm

Sounds like a lot of work in an attempt to stroke your ego. Problem is that you're friend's ego may end up being the one that is stroked.

Unlike everyone else that says it might be "fun" (yeah...they're not the ones that will have to do all the work), I'm gonna ask you to look into your own heart and evaluate why you would even consider such a "contest"? Why is your friend so anxious to propose it?

Would it not be better to spend your time doing a show that you are passionate about? Or one for a worthy cause, that doesn't have the skills or resources (eg. money to spend on pro-production) to create a great show that could further their goals? Or even better, both for that matter....

If your friend is such a video-pro, then why hasn't he posted anything for us to view? How about he "earns the right" to challenge a talented PSPer, like you Al, by showing what he's got first? Then we can judge whether this would be worth the time and effort on your parts.

Sounds suspiciously like an ego-driven testosterone-fest to me, and we all know how those turn out.

Hey Bubba...watch this! ;-)
Last edited by Tarafrost on Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....Andrzej (aka: the curmudgeon)

Tarafrost Photography: Specializing in Wild-Life
http://www.tarafrost.com

lisco

Postby lisco » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:48 pm

Al-

I agree with Bob and Brian. Sounds fun. I'll have to think on the subject. Hmmm!

Scott

Postby nannybear » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:17 pm

Well believe it or not, I am actually casting my lot with T. I don't have a lot of patience with people that think they know everything and are always out to prove that they are better or more knowledgeable than some one else. Smacks right up there with "big insecurities". I think a better challenge is for each to make a show to raise money for the Sunday School of the their church except I am not sure how that would work. I think he should post and only let Mike Gregg know who he is and see what the group rates the shows. We already know what you can do sunshine! Personally I would be a little biased now, so I don't want to know which show is his then I can't be accused of bias :wink: Let us know what you end up doing. Hugs Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Tarafrost » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:21 pm

nannybear wrote:I think a better challenge is for each to make a show to raise money for the Sunday School of the their church

The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster doesn't have Sunday School.....so can we use the money for other worthy goals that are blessed by the FSM? Like beer and strippers?

Hate to tell ya this, Nannybear, but I don't consider the indoctrination of children with illogical and deleterious nonsense, prior to their having the critical thinking ability to judge for themselves, a "worthy cause".

So much for church sunday schools. Bah humbug!

<no smileys on this one I'm afraid....you hit a sore spot in my belief structure>

Though on the other hand, I'm flattered that you agree with me on the gist of the post. ;-)
....Andrzej (aka: the curmudgeon)

Tarafrost Photography: Specializing in Wild-Life
http://www.tarafrost.com

Esteemed Member

Postby JC » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:25 pm

Depends on how you want to spend your time. If this gets you closer to where you want to be, then do it. If not, then screw it. Don't let him or us decide how you should spend your disposable time and energy.

Re: Showdown

Postby Yanis » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:25 pm

alcain wrote:Hi 'ya'll. I need some input from as many folks as possible. Here's the deal. I have a friend who has an IQ of about 3 times that of Mikey (that's a LOT). He thinks he knows everything about everything. He purchased Proshow producer (because he is not married and can afford to buy whatever, whenever he wants.) He is an expert at Photoshop, Particle Illusion, Audio, Video and how to train dogs. He has been after me to do a show with a contest theme between us. He wants the show to be called "Showdown". It will have a short intro introducing the show, then there will be a 3.5 minute show from each of us. Users of this group will critique the segments from each of us and a winner will evolve, judging from the comments. Am I up to this? First, ya'll tell me if you think I should accept this challenge. Second, he says the the 'group' should decide the subject of the show each of us is to do (we will both do the same show, but in our own interpretation and style). He monotors this group, but doesn't participate (or, so I think - he may be any one of you in disguise!!!) Let me know what you think. Thanks so much... ~al

Greetings Al,

You have nothing to prove to us Al. We know what you can do and what you are capable of. I think your friend is the one that needs to prove himself. I don't think it's worth going through all the trouble of going down to his level. No offense but your friend seems to be very insecure about himself. :?

Peace,
Yanis :D

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby hardsoftware » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:25 pm

I am with Yanis on this one. Al has already proven his worth on this forum. If his friend wants a contest let him/her enter the photdex contest. Theme(s) are already picked out depending on the month and the rules are set. Just a thought. 8)

Ben
PSG, & Producer 3,4 and 5. Photo Editing: PS Elements 2.0 & 5.0, Premier Elements 3.0,

PHOTODEX GALLERY: http://www.photodex.com/share/hardsoftware
UnEmployed, and getting pretty good at it!
Facebook look for Ben R. Baca.

Postby czali » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:25 am

Andrzej,

Strippers....if that is not a classic example of an attempt to stroke your ego. Lets face it, we are looking for pride in our accomplishments. How sad if we did not.

Al,

I think that if you want to do the showdown, go for it. Everyone that posted a show on here is proud and looking to present their work for the enjoyment of the forum. You obviously do this as a hobby and I think people misunderstood this as disingenuous when it was meant all in good fun. I look forward to your challenge.

Colleen

andy

Postby andy » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:32 am

czali wrote:Al,

I think that if you want to do the showdown, go for it. Everyone that posted a show on here is proud and looking to present their work for the enjoyment of the forum. You obviously do this as a hobby and I think people misunderstood this as disingenuous when it was meant all in good fun. I look forward to your challenge.

Colleen

Colleen, well said!
andy

Next

Return to PSP - General Discussion