Photodex Members On-line Sharing

Discuss anything ProShow Producer related
HeatherB

Photodex Members On-line Sharing

Postby HeatherB » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:22 pm

:? Can someone please help me please?. I have uploaded about half dozen shows and I am curious to see that some of them have been viewed several times i.e. 125, 34, 14 etc. I have given the right for them to be viewed by the public which I have no problem with.

Can you please explain where they may find my member name as I would also like to view other members shows but do not know where to find the list of members for on-line viewing. Am I being dumb as I expect it is very simple at the end of the day.

Thanks

HeatherB

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby hardsoftware » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:48 pm

Heather,

Well, there is a Memberlist heading at the top of this page. I am hot sure that this will help in getting permission to others shows although they probably may allow you if you ask. As for me, well you can view my shows by entering hardsoftware at the shareing page to get in.

Ben
PSG, & Producer 3,4 and 5. Photo Editing: PS Elements 2.0 & 5.0, Premier Elements 3.0,

PHOTODEX GALLERY: http://www.photodex.com/share/hardsoftware
UnEmployed, and getting pretty good at it!
Facebook look for Ben R. Baca.

Postby nannybear » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:00 pm

There is no "list" for the photodex members but when you go to the Sample show sections and click on someone's link you will see toward the top of the page:

Viewing: nannybear
That is the name they use there. If you click the "main" button you will see all the shows posted for that person. Hope this helps Cheers Jan

ps: I created an Excel spreadsheet and just log the Proshow name - then the Photodex name. I can go browse anytime I want....
Last edited by nannybear on Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Postby debngar » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:58 pm

I started bookmarking links to members' albums and change the link name to their Photodex "Browse Member" name. All those are under a Slideshow bookmark sub folder named "Member's Shows.

There is a tricky way to get the album # for that member to come up for you to bookmark it to get back to that particular member.

You have to get into one of their shows, then hit stop and click on "Main" through their show link. This will bring you back to the album with the specific number at the top similar to the shows that each have an individual number in the link.

If you simply put in someone's name and save that link once you get to it, re-clicking on that link will not get you back into their album. It will only save the link as "http://www.photodex.com/sharing/memberbrowsego.html" which is not specific to anyone in particular.

Sounds complicated but once you get the hang of it, it's easy.

Debbie

HeatherB

Postby HeatherB » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:47 pm

Many thanks for all your advice :lol: It is quite a shame there is not a list available apart from in this Forum. Still there again, perhaps not everyone wants other people viewing their shows!! :(

Postby debngar » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:06 pm

Did you go to the "list" of Sample Shows area to see all the links to shows available for viewing? You can read the thread title and initial author's post to determine if it's the kind of show you want to watch. It would take a very long time to get through them all.

Isn't this sort of what you wanted?

There are 807 topics at the time of this post and 17 pages full of links to sample shows related to Producer alone. If that isn't enough, you can then look further up to the PSG shows if you need more.

Take note of the person's member name when you get to their show album and start making your own list by bookmarking them.

It is really that simple.

Photodex doesn't own this group or any of the others. There are privacy reasons some people choose to not reveal their shows for the protection of others. Some of the other groups may have lists of members but you will never find every persons name or "member browse" listed. That is their choice. Some just lurk.

Hope that helps.

Debbie

Sharing shows

Postby trulytango » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:09 am

Good morning everyone!

While we are on the subject of sharing (and viewing figures) I'd like to talk about security and how we, as Enthusiasts, can share here on the Forum... without giving full access to all shows we have uploaded to Photodex? If we choose to share a show with the Forum, then seeing the viewing figures rise is not a problem (in fact it is just the opposite) - however, if someone has simply uploaded another show to share with a client (or a show with personal content) then it's maybe not so good to see the viewing figures creep up beyond what you would expect.

Firstly, there are some basic security options within one's Photodex sharing account for you to use. You can choose to mark shows as 'Private' or 'Public' at the time you upload them or later by choosing 'Edit' under the show/folder thumbnail. The security options will then kick in if someone simply knows your Photodex sharing name and opts to browse members or you might send an invitation to someone regarding a particular show... in either of these cases any shows you have marked as 'Private' will not be visible.

However, a person's sharing area (complete with any specific security options) becomes insecure if they supply a direct link to it to someone else - by a direct link I mean having logged into your Photodex area, you highlight and copy the contents of the URL/address bar and paste it elsewhere e.g. in this Forum or in a personal e-mail. Anyone else using the link will then have full access to all the shows in your area, because Photodex assumes it is you... albeit accessing from another computer, so it will register as a viewing? Plus, once a person has full access to your area, they can navigate throughout all your shows and folders and maybe even copy the URL's of other shows and send the link on to anyone else if they wish?

A direct link posted in our Forum is available to anyone - members and lurkers alike - so viewings can soon creep into double or treble figures whether you intended or not.

There is also the possibility that Photodex itself patrols areas and can be responsible for some of the viewing figures, making them unreliable? I had a discussion once with an Enthusiast who had noticed that immediately following his uploading a show the view ratings climbed to almost double figures in a really short space of time - and he had not posted a link anywhere!

To sum up... the Photodex online sharing site and this Enthusiasts Forum are completely separate animals. Photodex itself does not publish a list of members - to browse members on the Photodex site you must first be given a member name or receive an invitation. I imagine lots of people use Photodex's sharing area for business purposes and would certainly not welcome uninvited viewings.

If you wish to preserve the Photodex security options but still wish to post links to shows in the Forum, I would recommend that you are not logged into your Photodex account at the time you copy the URL to share. The secure option for sharing in the Forum is to go to the Photodex site and instead of logging into your area you should browse to it... that way the security options will kick in before you copy and paste the URL?

Hope the above makes sense... I'm not paranoid - it is just something I feel others should be aware of prior to sharing. I did a personal show, a memorial tribute, for someone last year that was viewed by lots of people. I know the family would've been shocked to learn it had been opened to all due to my lack of security.

Regards
Iris
UK

Postby debngar » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:36 am

If you wish to preserve the Photodex security options but still wish to post links to shows in the Forum, I would recommend that you are not logged into your Photodex account at the time you copy the URL to share. The secure option for sharing in the Forum is to go to the Photodex site and instead of logging into your area you should browse to it... that way the security options will kick in before you copy and paste the URL?

Whether you are logged on to Photodex account when you copy the link to share the URL has nothing to do with the URL's being viewable/accessable or not. It stays the same as long as you keep that show up online and only changes if you delete it and upload it again. Whether someone can see the THUMBNAIL to a show or not depends upon whether it's marked "Private". The privacy option can be changed at will. The thumbnails to shows marked "Private" can be seen only if the viewer is signed on with YOUR password.

If a viewer knows the show URL, they can still view the show, unless it's changed to private and requires a password.

There is a kind of back door once you get into a show link and you can often see other show thumbnails that may be marked private. This is the problem. So I think the only way you can totally make a show "Private" is to require a PASSWORD. Put it in a private album that is locked with a password function.

Debbie

Return to PSP - General Discussion