Soundtrack Query

Share your technique and style with others using ProShow Gold

Soundtrack Query

Postby mikew247 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:16 pm

Your assistance gratefully received.
I have created a new slide show, but the soundtrack I would like to use is shorter than the slide show. I realise I can sync the sound to the slides, but I don't want the slide and transition times to change. I would like to repeat the soundtrack and then trim to fit, but when I drag and drop the sound file a second time, I end up with gaps between the tracks. Is there a simple way to 'repeat soundtrack' within ProShow Gold ??

Thanks,
Mike W

Re: Soundtrack Query

Postby debngar » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:04 pm

It's really not that hard to learn to use the sound editor. All songs are a bit different. Some begin or end abruptly and some have long dead air time at beginning and/or at the end too. You can trim off the beginning and ends of a song to get a better transition.

Try fiddling with the fade in and out if necessary adding 3-5 seconds.

Also adding an offset by plus or minus seconds will shove the song to the right (+) or left (-).

As you get better with this tool, try cutting out the beginning of the second song so it fades in at a decent point and ends at the end of the song. Many times a viewer will not notice the transition to another song when it starts in the middle but IMO they will notice more when it ends in the middle of a song. If you don't go that route, at least use a 5 second fade out at the end. I've done that often and it seems to work well.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:19 am

Try this, I do not have Gold so can't remember if you can edit soundtrack by this method, but it works in Producer.

Producer is reasonably powerful for audio and a number of thing like 'crossfade' can be done.

If you press the TAB key the 'Slide List' across the bottom of the screen goes into 'Timeline' mode where the variations of slide and transition times can be seen and the soundtrack in a linear representation.

If you now 'hover' over the soundtrack and press the CTRL key the single track gets outlined in yellow, and can be dragged sideways (to vary start time). Hovering over a second track it can be dragged to overlap the first. Not only this but you will find 'handles' at the corners of the yellow ouline to make fades, also the ends of the track can be pulled to crop the soundtrack. Experiment and it does a number of things.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby mikew247 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:33 am

Thanks for your replies, very helpful.
Debbie, I'll download Audacity and get to grips with Sound Editing etc.
Brian, it appears Gold has similar sound facilities as Producer, I'll experiment to see if I can get the results I want.

Many Thanks,

Mike W

Postby debngar » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:30 am

mikew247 wrote:Thanks for your replies, very helpful.
Debbie, I'll download Audacity and get to grips with Sound Editing etc.
Brian, it appears Gold has similar sound facilities as Producer, I'll experiment to see if I can get the results I want.

Many Thanks,

Mike W

I wasn't suggesting to use another piece of software to do what you're asking. You can do what I described in Gold or Producer. The soundtrack editor works the same in both versions.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Return to PSG - Style & Technique