PSG "3D" using v5's Tilt Feature

Share your technique and style with others using ProShow Gold

PSG "3D" using v5's Tilt Feature

Postby im42n8 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:46 pm

New to ProShow Gold is the ability to "tilt" your layers horizontally and vertically. In addition to providing tilt, Photodex provided something that Gold users have been wanting for some time now: the ability to change the rotation center of a layer. What that means is instead of rotating a layer around its center you can now rotate the layer around a layer's corner or some point on the side ... or at some other location.

They did this (provided rotation center change) because to use tilt effectively you'll find you will need to use rotation center. This feature is a layer centric feature. So, change image aspect, size, or location and the rotation center relative to the screen changes. One of the reasons this feature is not used all that much in Producer (which has had this feature for over 2 years now) is that it is difficult to figure out what the rotation center of a layer is if you want something other than the image corner or side.

The following will help you get a leg up on the matter. If you go to the very end of the blog topic below, you'll get to the specific equations you can use to get started on how to figure out the rotation center of a layer. While using Rotation Center changes is easy, using it effectively requires some thought, planning, and some calculations (I put the equations into Excel and let it do the work for me). I spent many hours and days figuring out the relationships beween a layer and the screen frame for a scale of fill frame and fit to frame. This blog article summarizes that information.

This blog topic will get you started with the topic of rotation center changes. It may take a bit of study but, once you get the gist of it, it provides the basics of what you need to do some amazing things.

https://fpvp.wordpress.com/another-set- ... on-center/

Good luck!

Dale
Last edited by im42n8 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Re: PSG "3D" using v5's Tilt Feature

Postby donhall914 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:30 am

Dale,

I tried clicking on the link in your post and the link was not found. Is your demo still available? If so, where?
Thanks, Don

Re: PSG "3D" using v5's Tilt Feature

Postby im42n8 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:18 am

I recently changed hosts, which meant that my blog also had to change (it wasn't a WordPress site). I've updated the link in the original post to reflect the new location.

Photodex has NOT yet provided a means to effectively use the rotation center. To do that will require some additional UI changes that are not yet in the works, as far as I can tell. Something as simple as clicking on a screen position to let a layer use as a rotation center is not a simple undertaking ... at least not for the stuff the program would have to do on its own. It would require the program to access information that it currently is incapable of doing. We can all hope, tho, that we get the tools to to just something like that in the not too distant future.

Good luck and have fun!

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Return to PSG - Style & Technique