THANKS - Groovy Flower Power Retro Music

Post links to music sources and discuss music choices for shows
lahazard

Re: Looking For Groovy Flower Power Retro Music

Postby lahazard » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:24 pm

I can't say exactly what song I want until I get a few to choose from and try them out. But that site shows a variety of ones to choose from of the style I'm looking for. I just haven't settled on exactly what yet and since I can't use copyrighted music, my choices seem limited at this point. Still looking though. :) I'm only half finished with the post processing of the pictures I'm using in the show anyways so it may be at least another week until I get to needing a song.

Deb,

If you could use copyrighted music, are there any specific songs you already know that you would use?

Louis

P.S. Enjoying learning more about YouTube and how many of my own assumptions are wrong.

Postby debngar » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:34 pm

lahazard wrote:
I can't say exactly what song I want until I get a few to choose from and try them out. But that site shows a variety of ones to choose from of the style I'm looking for. I just haven't settled on exactly what yet and since I can't use copyrighted music, my choices seem limited at this point. Still looking though. :) I'm only half finished with the post processing of the pictures I'm using in the show anyways so it may be at least another week until I get to needing a song.

Deb,

If you could use copyrighted music, are there any specific songs you already know that you would use?

Louis

P.S. Enjoying learning more about YouTube and how many of my own assumptions are wrong.

No, but some of the ones on that CD are what I had in mind. As it is, those are just covers of the originals, not that great anyways.

I honestly will just be fine using royalty free stuff and won't get around to this for at least a week or so. There is no real deadline either as it's a project I'm doing on my own but will be embedded on my website in a blog post.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Esteemed Member

Postby Mac » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:44 am

"As it is, those are just covers of the originals, not that great anyways."

Best to go to K-Tel: original songs by the original artists! (I'm sure there's one or two people old enough around here whose memories work well enough for that).
PSP 0.1
Kaypro 8086 4.77Mhz CPU, 728Kb memory, dual 5.25" high density floppies
Windows 1.0, Windows Paint
Kodak Pocket Instamatic 60 with Magicube
Model E-41 Ditto Machine

lahazard

Postby lahazard » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:57 am

Hello Deb,

The reason I was asking if it was possible to narrow down the "type" (in terms of more specific songs and/or artists) of music from the 60's you were looking for is because that collection at Amazon is all over the map in terms of genres. It has Pop, Rock, British Invasion, Blues, Funk, RnB, Soul,Psychedelic, Folk, Folk Rock, a little bit of everything.

:)

Sounds more like what you are looking for, perhaps, is a medley type song (or songs) that would cover the range of the types of songs in the Amazon collection. Is that closer to what you are seeking?

Louis

Postby debngar » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:43 am

lahazard wrote:Hello Deb,

The reason I was asking if it was possible to narrow down the "type" (in terms of more specific songs and/or artists) of music from the 60's you were looking for is because that collection at Amazon is all over the map in terms of genres. It has Pop, Rock, British Invasion, Blues, Funk, RnB, Soul,Psychedelic, Folk, Folk Rock, a little bit of everything.

-snip-
Louis

So sorry to have been so vague and confusing to those of you trying to help. You're right in that there are many different styles on that CD that I need to nail it down a bit.

Honestly, for me to know the exact song I want to use, I'd have to be working on the project at the moment. I might like a song but it might not go with the project. Maybe I go about finding music differently than some people but this is often how I do it.

The event was called "Woofstock" only it's a dog event. LOL

The type of songs that appealed to me are:

Somebody to Love
With A Little Help From My Friends
Get Together
Dream A Little Dream
For What It's Worth
California Dreamin'
Happy Together

These may appeal to me because of the words and/or music. But the words don't matter in this case since I can't use those songs anyways. That to me is why it makes choosing a bit difficult besides the fact I'm not working on the slide show quite yet because I have other work/deadlines I have to finish first.

Hope that makes more sense now. Thanks again for trying to help.

At this point, I'm still leaning toward the Music2Hues CD since it's only $48 for the entire collection of that genre.
Debbie

lahazard

Re: THANKS - Groovy Flower Power Retro Music

Postby lahazard » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:53 am

Much clearer! thanks!!! :)

I can see a general musical "type" between all those songs and will think in those terms and see if I can't come up with some other suggestions for you.

Louis

Esteemed Member

Postby Mac » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:39 pm

How about this track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP7O2slY1wU

I could probably get permission for you to use it if you like it. Definitely a groovy track which is marred a bit by a somewhat bizarre mix.
PSP 0.1
Kaypro 8086 4.77Mhz CPU, 728Kb memory, dual 5.25" high density floppies
Windows 1.0, Windows Paint
Kodak Pocket Instamatic 60 with Magicube
Model E-41 Ditto Machine

Postby debngar » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:52 pm

Thanks for your gracious efforts Mac. But I still feel safer just using something royalty free that I can secure my own license.

Kind of interesting that this was recently posted online - YouTube being sued for copyright infringement for someone posting videos of Sarah Brightman performances. I'll bet they'll be yanking more videos off their site after this court decision.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100903/ap_ ... _youtube_1
Debbie

Postby kayeb » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:47 am

Hi Debbie,

I know I'm months late in seeing your post but the Digital Juice music you were inquiring about is Stacks Retro Metro #36. Also, they brought Stacks back for a Christmas sale...$29.99 for one or 5 for $99.99. I've been out there looking to see what other volumes I might want. I always try to buy their music on sale since the other sites I have looked at are at least $20.00 for one song.

Kaye
Paint Shop Pro X7, Canon 70D, Panasonic DMCTZ5

Postby debngar » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:07 am

Hi Kay,

Thanks so much for the heads up on this. After looking at the one you suggested, I actually think the one I was looking for is number 7 - "Groovy Stacks".

Only problem is I've had my eye on another great sale and I either want to buy that one groovy Stack Trax, the other product, or will wind up with both.

In case you're interested in looking at it, music2hues is having a good sale also. They're offering 5 of their flagship CDs for $99. Their sale (good until 12-31-10) breaks it down to $20 per CD which is a great deal. Each CD has about 8-10 different songs and usually full length, 60 and 30 second versions.

I found some songs there that would fit the "groovy" theme too - under their Retro titles "Flashback to the 60's".
For the $99 I like the variety of choices and I'm probably going to go with this company but I'm going to keep my eye on the Stax Trax Christmas sale too.

http://www.music2hues.com/
http://www.music2hues.com/m2h_orig/flagr2.html

I haven't made the Woofstock event show yet because I wasn't happy with the music choices until now. I'll eventually get around to it by the 31st.

Thanks again for pointing out DJ's sale Kay. Hope you have a Merry Christmas.

Debbie
Last edited by debngar on Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie

Postby kayeb » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:54 pm

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for mentioning the site. I'll check it out. That sounds like a good deal. Have you purchased from them before? If so, what Flagship CD's have you bought? I know what you mean about creating a slideshow. I have been wanting for months to create a family show but wasn't sure how I wanted to do it because both my brother and neice have been divorced. I finally decided not to put any spouses in the show until the very last slide. I'm having trouble now burning the disc. They keep stopping when playback. It might be the disc I'm using. I'm trying a different brand disc and hopefully that will cure the problem.

I hope you have a Merry Christmas.

Kaye
Paint Shop Pro X7, Canon 70D, Panasonic DMCTZ5

Postby debngar » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:15 pm

Hi Kaye,

I purchased Urban Groves CD earlier this year. You can purchase one song download at a time on that site but it's more expensive that way.
Debbie

Previous

Return to Music Discussion