Copyrighted music

Post links to music sources and discuss music choices for shows

Copyrighted music

Postby Brent » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:36 am

When i first got Producer, i was unaware that using CD's that i had bought was a form of copyright. I have never sold any shows using these songs, these are just my personal shows of my kiddos... i recently made a FB(facebook) page and have been downloading my videos there for people to watch. i am getting emails stating that i am in violation for copyright. is there a way i can fix these allegations? where can i go to get the songs i have in use so i am not in violation. and being that i kinda sorta started a little side business, if and when i ever get my first "real" customer, i def want to be on the up and up.
thanks and i hope this can be a relatively easy fix...
and just so that i am assuming correctly, just because you go and buy a CD, that doesn't give you the right to use the music even though you bought the CD???
brent

Re: Copyrighted music

Postby Brent » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:06 am

trying to look deeper into this, most people say use royalty free music... it seems that this kind of music is not the kind that is played on the radio.. i want to be able to use,if possible, current songs played on the radio, for example, like racall flatts, or any other today's country artists... i'll keep digging.

Postby psychogramma » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:12 am

Brent,
You can start your search with the following thread:
http://www.proshowenthusiasts.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1994

The bottom line is you will not be able to use those songs you hear on the radio.

Cathy

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:16 am

In general, if you "buy" a CD, it gives you the right to listen to the music for your own personal use. Search the forums here for "Royalty Free Music" and you will find quite a few discussions of what is available as well as pointers to other discussions on copyright. You have to abide by the terms of use for whatever music you do get. Most RF music (like Digital Juice, Smart Sound etc) have fairly generous terms in their license, but there can be a number of hoops to jump through as well. There is no single simple answer to what you can use and under what conditions. And it can get pretty convoluted sometimes - if you video tape a wedding where they have a DJ playing music for the reception for example, technically, if you sell the video you did, you are in violation because the terms of the music did not include the video taping. Yeah, I know :roll: Even one supplier may have different terms for different music tracks you get from them. Smart Sound for example, most of their music can be used for most productions, however, some of their stuff is labeled as only for home video, not public (or something like that). Buying a CD does not buy you the rights to the music, it only buys you the right to listen to the music under their terms.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby Brent » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:17 am

link is not working, at least not for me...

is all royalty free music just music, no artist singing a song?

Postby debngar » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:20 am

Here's the most recent thread on that subject, which comes up quite frequently. There are many others in the archives as well that you can read which should answer your questions on use of music and those notices.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19948

YTubes flawed content id flagging practice
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19884
Last edited by debngar on Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby Brent » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:22 am

gpsmikey - i can understand that, and reading into this whole copyright issue, and seeing that an "audience" can be considered a violation even if you are not selling anything is just strange to me. i get it, but it is still strange. all i am/was trying to do was to put some slideshows i made of my kiddos onto facebook so some of my out of town family could see my kids... i used CD music, but i am not selling this to anyone or making any kind of profit off it, i just want to let my family see it and facebook won't let me... i have tried doing the royalty free music, i just have not found songs i like, because i am a fan of words, not just music...
thanks

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:36 am

Yeah, I know, but you need to understand how this all works - there is lots of money and lawyers involved in this process, therefore, there is no simple answer. The problem in your case is while you just want something your family can view, you are using a public medium to present that to them. To make matters worse, even if you wanted to contact the artist and work with them to be able to use their music, you typically can't get there with all the hoops you have to jump through for the legal issues and you probably couldn't afford it anyway - even to be able to legally just show it at the local camera club or something. It is a very complex issue with no simple answer - which is why I have purchased quite a bit of Digital Juice stuff, Smart Sound stuff and some others. There have been a number of discussions on the RF stuff with sources listed, so while not the answer you wanted to hear, there are workable solutions.

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby debngar » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:44 am

Brent wrote:
is all royalty free music just music, no artist singing a song?

Those questions are answered in the threads that were posted. It's recommended to take the time to read them. :roll:
Last edited by debngar on Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie

Postby Brent » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:52 am

call it selfish if you want, but why do i need to waste my time searching and reading if someone JUST knows the answer... i know if i just spend a little time and effort, i can find all the answers myself, but i thought that just asking and having someone just know this stuff could tell me. my big thing is that i HATE to read, lol, so i would rather just be able to read a condensed paragraph(here) instead of reading 57 posts and threads that will eventually tell me the same thing. but i will search myself and find what i am looking for... thanks :roll:

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:04 am

Or from the other side, why do we need to waste our time finding and condensing the information for you ?

mikey

Postby Brent » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:05 am

right on.

Postby debngar » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:19 am

Brent wrote:call it selfish if you want, but why do i need to waste my time searching and reading if someone JUST knows the answer... i know if i just spend a little time and effort, i can find all the answers myself, but i thought that just asking and having someone just know this stuff could tell me. my big thing is that i HATE to read, lol, so i would rather just be able to read a condensed paragraph(here) instead of reading 57 posts and threads that will eventually tell me the same thing. but i will search myself and find what i am looking for... thanks :roll:

There's a search engine also but members took time to point to specific threads that were meant to help answer your questions so we don't have to take our time to type all that stuff over and over and over and over again ad nauseum. We are not paid to do this. Replies still must be read regardless of whether they are repeatedly typed here in this thread or another one.

We're trying to save ourselves a bit of time by responding in this way to have time to answer other questions that might be new ones that can't be answered in the archives.

Sheesh. :shock:

This is not meant to discourage asking questions, just to please consider that responders helping have other things to do besides sit and type answers here for people that don't like to go to archived threads and read answers there.
Last edited by debngar on Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Debbie

Postby Brent » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:22 am

you are absolutely right. i am sorry, i am not in the greatest moods and i took it out on you... thank you for the suggestions, i will read up.
thanks for your time.

Postby RobertBarnett » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:53 am

Bret the simple answer is unless you contact the copyright owners of the music you want to use and pay them for the rights to use it you can't use it. You certainly can get the rights to use the songs you want. Just be prepared to pay about half of what you house costs to do it. We are talking about a boat load of money per song.

So the simple answer is you can get the rights to use any song you want. But, the other answer is it is unlikely you can afford to do so.

Using any copyrighted material without permission even for your own personal use will get you slammed with take down notices and lawsuits if you don't take it down.

Robert

Next

Return to Music Discussion