Copyright on Background Music

Post links to music sources and discuss music choices for shows

Copyright on Background Music

Postby Alanvang » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:23 am

I have created a slideshow and because it used a couple of images from a website I asked for permission to use them and got it. I promised the website a copy of my slideshow but it has music from a CD I own. As this is non-commercial (the website is a canal restoration website for volunteers) do I need to get permission for the slideshow to be published with the music or is ok.
If I do need to get permission who do I contact in the UK? If it is going to cost a lot of money I could take the sound track off.

Re: Copyright on Background Music

Postby jojo » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:58 am

If you want it to be legal and piece of mind....get Royality Free Music. It is too much a pain to worry about getting sued working with copyrighted music.

Postby debngar » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:10 am

As Jojo suggested, switching to royalty free music will avoid headaches. Doing some reading in the music discussion section will provide sufficient info on this subject. It's not likely worth the effort to try to "get permission" if it was produced by a major recording artist. However, some lesser known artists sometimes give permission if they are not signed with a large production company or associated with an artists' union. Once that status changes, usually all bets are off.

Abundant links to royalty free music resources can be found in the muscic section also.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:25 am

A really quick way to visit royalty-free sites is on my web site. Go to Resources and then scroll down a bit to "Sound." Lots in there.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:29 pm

One note of caution here:

"royalty free" does not mean copyright-free (just the opposite in fact) and does not mean you can do whatever you want with it. All it means is that you aren't required to pay a royalty fee to do something permitted with it. What you're permitted to do is all about the license and/or the terms of use for the file.

You need permission to incorporate the music into the show and then use it non-commercially. That's different than "personal use only."

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:48 pm

Dick's information is important. The permissions granted, though, are easily found since they're important to the musicians. Many, such as Kevin MacLeod (and me, too) require only that you give credit. I don't allow broadcast such as on TV or radio, but that's very common with royalty-free music. Remember that royalty-free isn't necessarily synonymous with cost-free.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby Robyn Aldridge » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:08 pm

Quite a while back, Kevin MacLeod posted the following on either his blog or his website, and asks that it be used if one doesn't buy a commercial licence.
Music by Kevin MacLeod
(incompetec.com)
"http://creative commons.org
/licenses/by03.0/"

I started a Word file which I keep on my desktop. In it, I keep a copy of the above, and now I've added the authors of 3rd party slides etc into it, referencing as best I can. I put all of the relevant bits on the end of my shows. However, some credits have been a bit short in the screening but I'm improving...

Back to Kevin MacLeod. If you read through some of his earlier postings, (Incompetec.com) you'll find that even he has had issues regarding copyright. One of them was, I think, with Sony. However, he came out on tops in that case. It just goes to show that one should not expect to get away with something if they know they're doing the wrong thing because it's hard enough when one is adhering to the rules!

Inone of my writing groups, an author reported that she'd been taken to task about using someone's photo, and it cost her... There is no difference between any of the artistic fields when it comes down to copyright.

Earlier on, before I bought PSG, I was informed that it was all right to use music, providing the music belonged to the person for whom the show was intended. Just use their cd? Not so! I've only used Royalty Free, and can understand why Photodex caution against using the music in the dvd, "Winter Occasions" which the company no longer offers for sale.

Having said all of that, a few months ago, I bought a special deal from The Audio Hub and it included PLR with it. Just not sure if I'm able to use it in shows with the Royalty Free... That wasn't mentioned in the part where it said that I could sell etc... Will figure that out later on, unless somebody already knows the answer to that one.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:53 am

Alanvang wrote:...If I do need to get permission who do I contact in the UK? If it is going to cost a lot of money I could take the sound track off.

I just noticed the UK reference.

If you are outside the US, the specific rules about all of this are going to be different--how much different depends on where you are. The fundamentals are, however, largely the same for any country that has signed the so-called Berne Convention, which now includes the US and >150 others. That helps a little when it comes to this already overly complex topic but not much.

Since Alanvang indicates that he's sharing the result with a group he has to be aware of the risks involved in copyright infringement. As a pragmatic note, if what you're doing is making a show for your own personal and family use, the legal situation doesn't change--you're infringing the copyright if you use commercial music without an appropriate license--but unless a family member tattles on you, the rights holder is never going to know. It comes down to being more about how you feel about the whole thing and less about the legal risks.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby Alanvang » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:12 am

HI All,
Thanks for the advice - I will take it on board and try not to infringe any copyright - I certainly wouldn't want my photos spread about willy nilly.
Thanks again

Valued Member

Postby lynn1102 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:33 pm

I have a bunch of discs from Footage Film. Most discs have 10 to 12 songs and each one is broken down into sections from 15 seconds, 30 seconds, 60 seconds and full song. Quite a few different selections. They are all completely royalty free for any use anywhere. Most of them can be previewed on line.

Lynn

Return to Music Discussion