Music that immobilizes you

Post links to music sources and discuss music choices for shows

Music that immobilizes you

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:23 pm

I just finished listening to an all-time favorite album, one with two songs I love so much that I can't think when they're on. I got thinking about other music that are brain-stoppers for me, and then wondered if other people experience this. Do you? If so, what songs, what musicians have this effect on you?

My very shortened list:

Classical
"Pictures at an Exhibition" by Mussorgsky

Modernized Classical
"Beethoven's Last Night" by Trans-Siberian Orchestra (and "Nut Rocker," of course :D )

Rock
everything by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
a lot of U2 ("Mothers of the Disappeared" is incredibly beautiful)

Jazz
"Sketches of Spain" by Miles Davis

How about you? What floats your boat right on out into the middle of the ocean?

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Re: Music that immobilizes you

Postby im42n8 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:16 pm

Short List

When the Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin
Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
Layla - Eric Clapton
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida - Iron Butterfly
Baby I'm A Want You - Bread
Don't Pull Your Love - Hamilton Frank and Reynolds
Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple
Seein' My Father in Me - Paul Overstreet
Amie - Pure Prairie League
Jackie Blue - Ozark Mountain Daredevils
Rocky Mountain Way - Joe Walsh

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:23 pm

You're dating yourself, Dale, and me right along with you because I know all those songs (and really like them).

I probably have enough Led Zeppelin weighing down my external drive that it's turned its own self into a lead zeppelin. :D

The only songs that I truly despise are those that cause bad cases of ear worm. There's a Bruce Springsteen song that I can't remember the name of at the moment, but it's awash in worms. My son once upon a time got Sesame Street's "Rubber Ducky" stuck in his head for a whole week. You'd think he could have chosen something better.

Barbara

Postby cherub » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:06 pm

I guess we all think that the music of our adolescence is the most beautiful. It's the music that we all like to reminiscence about, because when we listen to it, we go back in time, and relive the moments of our youth.

Here is the list of songs that followed me through life:

Mike Oldfield - Ommadown, Tubular Bells
Donovan: Universal soldier, Colors, The little tin soldier, Catch the Wind, Atlantis, (and most of his songs)
Deep Purple: Child in time, April, Lalena
Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven

PS:
I forgot this one: The New York Rock & Roll Ensemble with songs by Manos Hadjidakis
I bet you never heard of them :D
Noble Dame: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2wMk1kQWeQ
Dedication: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYNRxev8f1c
The Day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z52Y5IA3De8

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:27 am

The music of my really young days comes from a time when rock didn't exist, the first ever that I can remember hearing coming from Bill Haley and the Comets, which was followed not too long after by Elvis. There's certainly a sense of nostalgia when I hear the tunes, but none of it stops my day because, frankly, no show-stoppers were there. Until music started blossoming so astonishingly in the mid-60's, I stayed with classical, jazz, and jazz singers. I'd fall asleep at night to Montoya and Segovia albums. I defy anyone to fall asleep to Hendrix! :shock:

I forgot to mention one musician who always grabs me and won't let go: Mark Wood, a phenomenal electric violinist. I gave up a search for a professionally done video, but I did find this old MySpace site: https://myspace.com/electricviolinistma ... usic/songs His mission in life is to inspire young people to take up the violin, and he's probably single-handedly inspired more kids than anyone else in the world.

Barbara

Postby PhotoMill » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:19 pm

Odd that this discussion cropped up just now. My wife and I were just talking about "stunning music" this past weekend. The most stunning was the night that Ed Sullivan introduced "Tiny Tim". At that time, my father would only tolerate a little bit of new music of the day. When Tim started with his "Tip toe through the tulips" my father got up out of his chair and left in total disgust asking out loud "What the devil is that" ?? I remember it to this day and that had to be at least 50 years ago !! LOL (or maybe it was Ted Mack's Original Amateur Hour (remember that ?))

In actual fact, that song (by Tiny Tim) would proudly find a home in many slide shows today.

I just had to throw that in to the mix....
...Steve
Tax me...
I'm Canadian, eh?

Canon 50D & 70D, Epson 4990 Scanner, Epson R1800 printer
Lumapix, Paint Shop Pro X6, ProShow Producer 9
Video Studio Pro X5

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:29 am

Steve, did you ever send me back a half century! I remember Tiny Tim's first album and finding it so very different, so in-your-face that it was fun to listen to. What a strange character.

That's something my husband and I periodically do--talk about past music, and we can spend a lot of time at it. Most often it's inspired by our sadness that musical creativity seems to have gone underground. Granted, this could be a version of, "Now, back in the good old days..." But I'm not sure. Our son's favorite music comes mostly from the 60's and 70's, a time he never experienced, so maybe they really were the good old days.

I read an entire book about music and the human mind, but nowhere in it did it touch on taste in music. It's still a mystery to me.

Barbara

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:21 am

I don't know about "immobilizes me", but there is some (like the Rolling Stones) that certainly mobilizes me .... to leave :lol:

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:36 am

gpsmikey wrote:I don't know about "immobilizes me", but there is some (like the Rolling Stones) that certainly mobilizes me .... to leave :lol:

mikey

I have the same reaction to disco music. :D

Postby im42n8 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:32 pm

Disco may be easy to dance to but it has, generally speaking, no soul. Much like a lot of music in the 90s and beyond. I used to refer to disco as "diet" music because you couldn't take much of it before you had enough.

Punk rock, rap, and lots of really heavy metal music send me out of the room (the music is turned OFF). Of course, like just about everything, there is a song here and there in punk, rap, and heavy metal that is pretty good or compelling . . . but that's probably something like 0.01% of the rest of the junk they product. Most of it seems unredeeming to me.

But I do enjoy just listening to Mussorgsky (e.g., Pictures at an Exhibition) or the likes of Klause Schulze or Tangerine Dream.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:56 pm

Oh, but Dale, Led Zeppelin is heavy metal. That said, however, I kind of agree with you. Then there's death metal that I believe should die, all evidence of it going to the grave with it. The "music" assaults a person.

A few bands and musicians showed up in the 90's that were really good, but I think they got buried by all the junk.

I've yet to hear a rap song that I don't want to run away from. Why is it called music?! It's extremely bad poetry spoken in a horrid drone and accompanied by noise.

I forgot to mention Santana. So much of his stuff is filled with musicality and has such a wonderful Latin flavor.

Most of us on this forum are, I guess, just too darned old to appreciate the new stuff. :D

Barbara

P.S. If you want to hear really, really bad music, which I'm sure you don't, you should hear what some are proudly showing off on the music forum I belong to. Ick!!!

Postby im42n8 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:30 pm

Most of what Led Zeppelin did is not what I like. However, there was at least one good song on each album. But, Led Zepplin IV was cram packed with good stuff. I've gone through something like 5 albums of Dark Side of the Moon as something happened to each one ... and I wanted a click, hiss, and pop free album (ahh, those turntable days ... I had a dual cs-601 belt drive turn table to reduce the noise and a very good pickup needle ... before the better direct drive models started showing up.

ELP was the same thing ... but they had some really good stuff. ELO was great as well ... some fantastic stuff. Queen, couldn't stand them except for a few of their songs. But all were GREAT bands. Remember Grand Funk Railroad, Bread, Gary Lewis and the Playboys, JJ Cale, Cream, Supertramp, Grateful Dead, Blue Oyster Cult, T Rex, Kansas, Little Feat, the Association, and the Lovin' Spoonful ... to name a few of those long ago bands, I liked. Wow, that stuff was long ago ... and they were real musicians too.

Dale

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:19 am

I'm closer to half-and-half with Led Zeppelin, having learned to appreciate their music after re-listening with an ear to their rhythms and handling of instruments. Still, though, being able to appreciate what an artist does and actually liking what they do isn't necessarily the same thing.

When it comes to Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, I never heard a thing they did that I didn't like. I guess my brain is just tuned that way. (Ever hear Emerson play Bach backward? :D )

Lovin' Spoonful: I saw them live, and you just gotta know which of their songs got the whole audience going--"Summer in the City."

Little Feat: I've met very few people who even know they existed. Strange.

Queen: I'm with you on the group. Some stuff, yes, but most of it no.

Between my husband's and my collection of vinyl and our son's, we have a mountain. Years back, we bought one of those CD recorders for connecting to the turntable so we could get everything onto disk, but it was a nightmare to use. For whatever reason, Sony (I've learned to hate their products) decided to translate their Japanese instructions using someone who was Japanese and who thought he could speak English. Following those instructions was an impossibility, and after many trashed disks, we wrote up our own instructions. Even so, recording involved monitoring everything constantly. We gave up.

Barbara

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:18 am

Yeah, I've got my stack of "Oldies" CD's (50's and 60's) that I bought through PBS here a while back when they had one of those pledge things going I think it was. I was so clueless back then - I remember in junior high when one of the girls had a "the Beatles are coming" sticker on her notebook trying to figure out why she was excited about a bunch of insects. Meanwhile my parents (dad in particular) insisted that all of the "modern" music was nothing but a bunch of screaming and not worth the time to listen to any of it. In reality, Paul McCartney wrote a bunch of cool stuff - check out things like the "Mull of Kintyre".

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby im42n8 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:01 am

I used to hate Country and Western ... even a hint of a country-style tune drove me out of the room. But I got introduced, slowly, to groups like Charlie Daniels Band, Marshall Tucker Band, JJ Cale, Allman Brothers, Outlaws and "The Outlaws (Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Kris Kristofferson, Jessi Colter) and Confederate Railroad etc ... and my distaste for the music changed and appreciation grew. All because of the Southern Rock bands.

I really didn't like most classical music either. Beethoven, Bach, etc held no interest to me. Then my brother introduced me to the likes of Synergy, Klaus Schulze, and Tangerine Dream ... and classical music took on a whole new meaning for me and I started acquiring it.

Little Feat was introduced to me with the other Southern Rock bands like Allman Brothers, Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Atlanta Rhythm section, Pure Prairie League, ZZ Top and New Riders of the Purple Sage. I met the members of Stillwater when I lived in a little town just outside of Warner-Robbins (they were a local band gone big at the time. They had a song called Mind Bender... the phrase that might come to mind, if you remember, is "My daddy was a Gibson, my mama was a fender, that's why they call me Mindbender.").

Dale

Next

Return to Music Discussion