Wave and MP3 Files

Post links to music sources and discuss music choices for shows

Wave and MP3 Files

Postby apenan » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:54 pm

I am new here and want to confirm: can MP3 file be converted to wave file? If so, what is the quality like? Apart from wave file, is there any other audio file that is of highest sound quality? For proshow producer, is MP3 good enough? Thanks for your guidance.

Re: Wave and MP3 Files

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:15 pm

The answer is "it depends" - mp3 is a compressed format and many options are available when compressing to mp3. The default that most seem to be work well in Producer/Gold. You really don't gain anything by converting from mp3 to wav. If you look around on the Photodex website, it lists the formats that Proshow can handle. ( http://kb.photodex.com/197/what-file-ty ... r-support/ near the bottom lists the types of audio files that can be imported ). Think of a mp3 along the same lines as a jpg image file - sure you can convert it to a RAW format for your camera for example (or a typically larger .psd Photoshop file), but you are not going to get detail back that was lost in the compression. The normal 192kbps mp3 file usually works quite well in your shows (recognize that when you create a DVD for example, that audio is re-encoded for the DVD in the appropriate format - for NTSC, that is usually LPCM or AC3 (Dolby).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:28 am

A 192 kbps MP3 file works well, but if possible, go to the top-of-the-line 320 kbps. I've compared apples to apples with MP3's and WAV's, listening to the same song in top-quality MP3 and then top-quality WAV, the result being that, when there's room, I use the WAV file. With really good speakers, you can definitely hear a difference.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:26 am

Correct - my point was that you gain nothing by converting from a mp3 to wav (or any other format). When you get an mp3, you have already lost whatever you are going to in the compression - converting to a wav file will not bring back anything that was lost initially.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:57 am

gpsmikey wrote:Correct - my point was that you gain nothing by converting from a mp3 to wav (or any other format). When you get an mp3, you have already lost whatever you are going to in the compression - converting to a wav file will not bring back anything that was lost initially.

mikey

I was just trying to address the issue of sound quality in MP3's, the top quality not always being available, but when it is, it should be used.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Return to Music Discussion