Replacing Music Tracks in Producer 9

Post links to music sources and discuss music choices for shows

Replacing Music Tracks in Producer 9

Postby NJTeddy » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:45 am

My presentation uses 3 songs and I would like to change the first song.
The new first song is a little longer than the original but I would like to add it fading out this track leaving the 2nd and 3rd in their original positions.
Is there a way to keep (or lock) the 2nd and 3rd tracks while I work at replacing the first?

Re: Replacing Music Tracks in Producer 9

Postby cherub » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:55 pm

NJTeddy wrote:My presentation uses 3 songs and I would like to change the first song.
The new first song is a little longer than the original but I would like to add it fading out this track leaving the 2nd and 3rd in their original positions.
Is there a way to keep (or lock) the 2nd and 3rd tracks while I work at replacing the first?

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Sadly, there is no possibility to "lock" a music track in place, as you describe.

However, if you work using the Project option, you can then recombine the shows, and preserve the position.
So, what I would suggest, is to divide your show in two (or three) shows, each saved with a new name. Then place these shows in a Project and save your Project with a name of your choice. Make all your changes on each show as you wish, and save each time.
Then, at the very end, use the function Tools > Combine Shows.
This will allow you to reunite your shows and their respective audio tracks in a single show.
A bit convoluted, but it will get you what you need.
Besides, personally, I recommend working on smaller shows each time, within a project. It's much easier than having a very long show.

Postby mrdcambs » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:15 am

Wouldn't an easier solution be to note the starting position of Song 2, insert the new song as Song 1 at the beginning,
and then use "Edit Fades & Timing" to trim it so that it finishes just before the required start point of Song 2?
For example, if Song 2 currently starts at 2 minutes, insert the new song as Song 1 and then Edit & Trim it to a
length of 1 minute 59 seconds (fading the last few seconds to avoid an abrupt switch to Song 2). Songs 2 and 3
will then automatically revert to their required positions.

Regards - Mike - UK

Postby NJTeddy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:33 am

Thank you both for all your help........

I originally tried it Mike's way but I am sure it was my lack of skills and the size of the presentation that made it difficult. There were quite a few slides that had short specific audio clips. I think if it were a simpler presentation that it would have been easy to do this way. Thank you so much for the suggestion......

Mona your way worked great in this situation. I cut the presentation into 2 pieces. I edited the Music length and re-inserted it back into the first section.
I am finally ready to join the 2 halves back together.......

Again thank you both for your help.......it was greatly appreciated.
Regards
Theodora

Postby Astra » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:18 pm

This was very interesting problem & discussion & solutions.

After reading both replies with solutions: Mona's (very elegant one) & Mike's (insert, moving & trimming & adjusting) -
- gave me an idea for a "kind-of-variation" of Mike's ...... ( & I also tested it on my own show (with 3 songs).

a. Find the exact length of the 1st song - (mine was 3:07.30 = 3 minutes, & 7.30 seconds .)
b. Delete 1st song - song #2 & #3 will now automatically shift to beginning - (will be nice to have a "break" or "lock" to keep them on original place.... as Theodora mentioned)
b. OFFSET #2 song - by length of "Old" song #1 - in Seconds - (... for me it was: 180 + 7.30 + 0.20 = 187.50 (seconds) ..... ( 0.20 was small original offset for beginning of my song #1)
c. Your song #2 will be now in exact position as it was before deleting "Old" #1 - (so you can still work on rest of show, if needed.)
d. Then, when you are done with your "New" song #1 - insert it in, move on proper place up & change OFFSET again to "0" .

... (I would also recommend - (before such radical changes) - copy the slideshow & give the new "experimental" show slightly different name, so you will always have the original show - just in case, if something unexpected happens.)

Postby cherub » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:39 pm

Great thread of posts!

Theodora, I'm so happy that it worked for you.
Mike and Astra - Thank you so much for the input. Of course, trimming and offsetting are the most obvious ways to make changes. It's just that in long shows, with many audio tracks, this method can become quite a nightmare. I don't know about you, but I'm one that constantly makes changes in a show. Not just the music, but also moving slides about, deleting and/or adding slides, changing transitions, and so on. Working on smaller shows, each with its own audio track, always works for me.

Also, you might recall, that we didn't always have the option of copying and pasting a show, together with its audio track. It's a new feature, starting with ProShow 8, I think, and I'm always happy to make use of what's new :D

Thank you all for posting. This is the kind of thread that I enjoy so much in this forum !
Regards to all,

Postby NJTeddy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:06 am

Thanks Astra for taking the time to think about this.......Everyone has been really helpful.
I do hope Photodex considers an option in a future release that will allow the music tracks to be locked in place.

My Results
I combined the two shows together and it worked out perfectly.
The presentation I am working with consists of 53 slides with a run time of 8:40
When Producer knit the two shows back together it placed a blank slide between the shows which I simply deleted.
The fade-out on the first music track was present and once I deleted the blank slide and applied a fade-in to the second track the shows came together very nicely.

The only problem I experienced was with the third music track.
Producer loaded only about 2 minutes of a 4 minute track.
This wasn't a problem for me in this case because all the hard stuff for this presentation was part of the second track.
Took under a minute to delete the third track from the show and add it back again.
Everything worked out great!!!!

Thank you all again for all your help

Postby bigsewed » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:03 am

Great work guys!

Postby Astra » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:16 pm

Theodora,
I'm so happy & pleased - that things worked so well for you & you were able to accomplish & finish your slideshow - in a way you've envisioned & wished for ...

And as Mona so gracefully stated in her posting:
cherub wrote: Great thread of posts!
Thank you all for posting. This is the kind of thread that I enjoy so much in this forum !
Regards to all,

I'm very glad, that - we - ProShow Enthusiasts - (which I am very proud to be part of ) - were able to help you - with sharing our knowledge ....
.... even I (myself) came too late to the game - to have a real impact on the final result of your project ....

And I believe, this: "exchange/discussion/helping/sharing/flow-of-ideas" - was, what "TheAdmin-Mike" - had in mind, when he has started this place ...

Best Regards to all,

Astra/Alex

Return to Music Discussion