Looking to flip a Default Transition

Post a link to your templates that you'd like to share with other ProShow Producer users

Looking to flip a Default Transition

Postby Viridel » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:28 pm

I'm looking to turn:
Wipe - Concave - From Top - Soft
Into:
Wipe - Concave - From Bottom - Soft

Photodex support tells me that I need to create the transition from scratch, but their Knowledge Base tutorial is less than useful in this case. I also don't know how to make a masked video with a gradient / soft edge. This really shouldn't be as difficult as it's appearing to be, but I'm kinda stuck.

Re: Looking to flip a Default Transition

Postby im42n8 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:59 pm

I'm nowhere near a computer with Proshow on it but I'll make a stab at this. If this is what I think it is, this transition is a built-in (as in Hard Coded) and NOT available in the transitions cache.

The method for masking a video is no different than masking any other layer. You might look at my Comprehensive Masking tutorials

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=21946

Part 2 probably is what you're looking for.

You can do some things using a rounded vignette that you then move down or up the screen and change the color stays (you're going to be using a gradient that's black and white) to widen or narrow the white oval that is initially positioned in the middle of the screen. You'll want to change the position of the white oval so that the top portion of the curved section is at or around 33% down from the top. The layer should be white from there to the bottom of the layer. The region that's not covered by the white oval should be black or transparent.

So, the gradient is going to be 3 times as tall as it is wide. The oval section is going to take up the lower 2/3s of the layer. The oval section should take up to 1/3rd of the entire layer's height (1/3 is oval shaped and 1/3 is all white ... so, your oval is really pretty big, all things considered.).

Anyway, You can change the black color to transparent and get the same effect. Have a black stay and a white one close together. The closer they are the more sharp the edge appearance is. The further apart they are the more softness you get in the resulting masked layer.

The layer will mask the image. It will be initially positioned so that its lower 3rd is over the top of the image. There will be an image immediately below the first image but, not masked. When the mask moves down the screen, the next image starts coming into view as the oval section starts coming into view. By the time the top of the oval has reached the bottom of the screen all of the next image should be visible (and the top of the mask layer, which is all black or opacity=0, will be hiding anything that might remain of the image its hiding).

That's the gist of it ... It's pretty simple really. To get exactly what you want you may have to do a bunch of little tweaks. Also, you can use an inverted mask and see what the might do for you.

You also might just want to use a graphic for your mask created in a graphical editor. This way, you have a considerable amount of control over exactly where the oval is as well as any control over its shape and edge softness. As before it's probably going to be 3 times as tall as it is wide. By that , I mean that if your show has an aspect of 16:9 your layer is going to have an aspect of 16:27.

As an aside you can use a 16:9 layer that uses the lower 1/3rd as all white, the middle third as your oval section, and your top third as the black or transparent section. Then, upon import, increase the y-axis zoom to 300%. Works the same as having a layer that's got a 16:27 aspect...

Hopefully I haven't missed anything or worse! :?

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Return to PSP - Slide Styles & Templates