Creating Memorial Tributes for Funeral Homes

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.

Creating Memorial Tributes for Funeral Homes

Postby kojaysnana » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:36 pm

Hi Everybody,

I posted a link to the Memorial Tribute demo that I use when I approach Funeral Homes in my area to solicit their business in the PSG sample shows and feedback section. I have gotten great comments and advice that I will use. One poster recommended that I post here because I have obtained 3 Funeral Homes using this demo.

It wasn't easy as I may have made it seem. I started trying in 03/08 and had many doors shut in my face. That is when I found out that a lady named *@!$%<& had beat me to it by some years. I didn't even know the service was being offered - I hadn't had the need to attend a funeral in years.

One guy told me he liked mine better than hers but he had to remain loyal to her, another man that uses her told me maybe I should go and work with her, then he actually showed me one she did. It is nothing like mine so I said I would pass. (Mine is better than hers) :lol: :D - really all she does is have pictures moving in and out and then it just ends, the song just cuts off-no fading.

Although I started pursuing in 08, I didn't get my first FH until 04/09. My feelings were so hurt and I felt so rejected, I focused on doing them for just family and friends, then my brother that I loved so dearly died, all of a sudden in 03/09-he lived in another state. So I decided I really want to give to hurting families what had been given to me-memories of my brother that I can watch on TV using my DVD player.

I sent out flyers to all the FH in my area-(before, I was only approacing my race of people) no particular reason, just hadn't thought to step out in any other direction)- I had seen her work and I knew her price. I undercut her by 25.00 and I also offer 2 customized tissue packs for the family along with the dvd, from about 14 flyers, I received 2 responses and got both jobs. I still expect to receive more responses, I have 3 FH and I kinda want to stay right there for a minute to see how I handle it, then move on from there.

This is my passion, My gift from God. I have also created presentations for the media dept. at my church a wedding and anniversary one.

Kojaysnana

Re: Creating Memorial Tributes for Funeral Homes

Postby bigsewed » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:00 pm

You mentioned a demo?
Wes

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby stickgirl » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:14 pm

kojaysnana wrote:(before, I was only approacing my race of people)

What exactly does that mean?

Kathy

Postby kojaysnana » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:08 pm

Hi,

I am sorry, I may have not used the correct teminology, I am african american and I was only approachng african american Funeral Homes. I am not trying to make a big deal about race, I am just stating that when I stepped out of the box, more doors opened up to me. Like I said there was no particular reason that I hadn't approached before except that it never occured to me.

Wes, the link is http://www.youtube.com/user/kojaysnana

Thanks Kojaysnana

Postby NightshadeDesigns » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:23 pm

I think it's great that you kept pursuing this. You enjoy it and want to give back to these families. I keep putting off contacting funeral homes and might just try to do it.
Thanks for sharing this.

Postby kojaysnana » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:49 pm

Thanks Nightshade,

I do enjoy it and like I said I've been there before. From the first FH that hired me, I get last minute calls all the time. I have stayed up late into the night to complete one and make sure it is the best it can be, and in my mind, I'm thinking about what the family will think and how will they feel when they view this tribute.

There was this one man that attended my church, his father passed and the FH that the faimily used didn't offer the service. The media dept. told him about me and when he came to my home to pick it up, I let him view and he cried right there in my den. I thought to myself I have to share this with others. I can't stop trying. (I tried to get that funeral home to meet with me with no success) :cry:

If you are interested, go for it-it you have a talent or gift-then share it.

Thanks for your encouragement

Kojaysnana

Esteemed Member

Postby Patricia_C » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:59 pm

Hello!

Do you have a website we can visit?

Regards,
Patty Cantu
Digital Heirloom Studios
http://digitalheirloomstudios.com/

Postby kojaysnana » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:21 pm

Hi Patricia,

No, actually I don't. My husband and I just recently talked about looking into putting one up.

Posting on the web is very new to me!!

Postby srq102 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:34 am

Good Luck with your venture. I've often thought about approaching Funeral Homes but I tend to get emotional when I see people in grief. I really do feel their pain. I suppose this would be a tough job for someone like me.

Regarding the web site development, do it yourself and It will save you lots of money. In fact if you need a quick web site, not to fancy I can help you. I'd be glad to help you get started with the web site for free. You will need to Registar your domain, acquire a hosting plan, build the site then upload your files. There are inexpensive web providers and hosting plans to be found. let me know if i can help.

Have a good one
Rick G

Postby kojaysnana » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:56 am

Hi Rick G,

Thank you and also thank you for your offer to help. My husband has a gospel quartet group and he is the first one that mentioned it, I thought then maybe I should too. I will get back with you when we are ready to try.

Thank you so much

kojaysnana

lynnlamie

Postby lynnlamie » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:53 pm

Hi I also do Memorial Tributes. Currently, I work out of five Funeral Homes and absolutely love my work. I have found it to be my passion. It is extremely rewarding to see the clients' faces when they see their loved ones smiling faces again.

I would love to see your demo video, but the YouTube link says you have no active videos. Can you post it again?
Thanks and keep up the great work - sounds like you have found your gift!

I would love to discuss more details with you - what region we are both in, what we each charge, challenges. If you are intersted, just PM me.

Beeheather

Postby Beeheather » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:20 pm

Kojay,
How are you i am new here on this forum. I clicked on your u-tube link the slideshow was removed. Can you please post it again I would really like to see it. I did a tribute for my mom who recently pass and got good review, even from the director at the funeral home.

Bee

MarvinMar

Postby MarvinMar » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:43 am

I am also looking to make additional income doing slideshows.
After thinking about it, I also concluded the most steady business would come from memorial videos.
We have 2 small funeral homes near me, and they are it for the county. They do not offer this service.
I am planing to go talk to them and drop of a DVD of samples.

Another option would be advertising in the paper, in the Obituary section (If allowed)

And this may sound strange, but I have often thought of the slideshow someone would create for me.
What about working with the elderly and those in hospice to create their show before they are gone?
They could choose what photos were used, and give you text to use to go along with the photos, and even a message to those who view it.

Here is a video I did for the Wedding reception of my niece. (Last few effects turned out awesome)

Esteemed Member

Postby joemav57 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:12 pm

Good job! Glad you kept after the funeral homes. I did one for a dear friend who passed away from cervical cancer at the age 51. I allowed her family to use it at the funeral home. The funeral home said they had a company in California that did theirs. They had a woman that would scan the family's photos in their office and send them to this company. In 24-36 hours they would recieve a digital download with the memorial show. I know they charged a pretty penny for it. The funeral director's assistant liked my show a lot, but .... he said they were under contract with them for three years. I didn't even offer my service to him. But my friend's brother told me the FH Director wanted my name and phone number for future reference. I really don't think I want to get into that. I haven't done a show since then.

Good luck in your future endeavours!!!! God Bless!!
PSP 7, Photoshop CS6, Nikon D3100.

Valued Member

Postby NLAlston » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:09 pm

Kojaysnana,

Excellent, excellent, excellent.

You (and others) who provide such a service are doing a very wonderful thing. Though memories of a departed loved one never fades, having such a photographic representation of that loved one would do much to greatly enhance each experience of recall.

May God continue to bless you.

Nathan
BLESSINGS,
Nathan
(PSP7)

Next

Return to Business Applications