What's your story?

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.

Re: What's your story?

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:59 am

A lot of people use show creation as a form of therapy, a way of saying what they're feeling inside, and probably more often than not, no one ever sees the show. I did one about my father who died a long time ago and whose death I just couldn't seem to come to terms with. By doing a show about him, by telling myself why I cared so much, I ended up finally accepting things. Maybe this will work for you, too.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby Reelnut » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:53 pm

Well I guess it all started about 5 years ago when I first got my hands on PSG. My mind went wild with thought of "Making it big". I had all my friends and family wanting me to do shows for them because the shows I did were like nothing they had ever seen before. I must of looked like the cartoon charactures on Looney Tunes with $ $ for eye balls, lol. Needless to say PSG didn't make me the Tycoon that I was dreaming about. I totaly enjoy the producing, the music, the pictures, timing it all together to melt hearts and bringing a good feeling to those that I have been able to do shows for. Fouth of July shows, Fishing montages, family shows and even a 30 minute show for the company I work for that they used for their Winter Social. I was very proud of that work.

Then came PSP!.......ohhhhh man......$$ $$ eyes again. Started with 4.0 to just learn about. then 4.1 came out and at the same time I had a new baby girl (at the age of 47) to capture. My firt show with 4.1 is of my daughter Elli and kinda weird, I must of had 5-6 friends at work having babies with a month or two as my li'l girl. Well, I thought to myself. What mom would not want to capture their babies birth with a special song and beautifuly produced show? Well, so I made 5-6 slide shows for friends that had babies at or around the same time as my li'l Elli at no charge thinking "Word of Mouth". No one is more focused on how to make this idea more lucritive then yourself. Sooooooo Now I have a buisness license, web site, Buisness cards, adds on Craigs List, a DVD player that I either play for those who might be interrested in a slide show or to play while riding the bus to work to keep my focus (and also thinking there might be a potential client watching at anytime). Last week I did set up an interview with a Health and Rehabilatation center here where I live. The Director of Activities was elated with my demo shows and wants to have me do some shows for the events center there at the HRC.

Ya, I know I wont make the millions that I was hoping to. But it has added new life what what I realy like to do.
Bring pictures to life.

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:36 am

Great story. Your reason (that little girl) is perfect, and then the way you've kept yourself focused on constant improvement and then on marketing should serve as an excellent model for others looking to turn production into a business. My hat's off to you!

Barbara

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:05 am

Apparently, the post I responded to here has been removed. :?:

Barbara
Last edited by BarbaraC on Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby weldr » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:03 pm

I,ve been watching this post for way to long with good intentions of telling my story. Work is 'dead', I'm bored to death, I work at home, so here goes.. I started geocaching,( www.geocaching.com ), in 2001. It's a worldwide treasure hunt. One of the local cachers had been leaving CD's of his hunts. Someone else had left a very rudimentary slide show. I had just gotten our first computer and point and shoot digital camera. Had a darkroom in the basement during high school. Thought this digital was so cool. Went online and found Proshow. Boy...the zooming, panning and transitions made my head spin. couple years later Gold came out....WOW...had to have it. What a jump when Producer came along!! Had to wait a long time to build a computer that would run it. The rest is 'history'. Most of what I do is for my wife and I. Quit sending them to the kids, never heard if they got them let alone if they watched or enjoyed. Made a lot of coasters in those early days. I think most of what I'm capable of is because of all the great folks on this forum. I had dreams of 'making it big' doing shows but I'm not a good Marketer. I did do a DVD of our local state park, Deception Pass State Park. It had over 300 pictures and 12 songs from Kevin Mcloud. Sold quite a few at the local Farmers Market at $10 each. Also put dozens into geocaches. Done a lot of shows of Grandkids, I've got 11, they all go home with one after a visit. My #1 Grandaughter lives next door with her baby so I've been doing a lot of shows of him. I say this with tounge in cheek, if my wife left I'd be happy sitting here doing shows and going out and getting pictures. So...here's another story! Don
Canon EOS 50D,PSE7,Latest Producer, new computer...don't know specs off hand but runs Producer with no problems.

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:18 pm

Don, maybe marketing isn't your strong suit, but show-making sure is. I always look forward to your shows because you tell stories and because you include subtle things that not everyone would think of doing.

And, yeah, work is definitely going through a dead period. My husband--also a welder--has to restrain himself from hugging people when they show up in his shop with something that needs fixing.

Barbara

Postby judyfirth » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:30 pm

Hi there. My story is I've spent the last 20 years working in television advertising and as of today resigned to take up a position at a small local print publication. I will continue to sell advertising not earning the same money but needed the change. I have used Gold for 10 years or more and have finally gone to Producer late last year.I love it and always offering to do peoples shows. Some tell me I should do it for a living but as I love it so much, I tend not to charge and have been given flowers, chocolates or vouchers. I'm probably better off charging to help with the waistline !

I'm not sure if anyone could help me, but I've considered making small shows to upload to websites as I have so many business contacts that may be interested. Has anyone else gone into this type of thing as I know loads of my clients have either just set up websites and there's only a few local website businesses here to keep them up to date. I don't have the knowledge to set them up and not interested in that but wonder if there's an opening to upload them with product slideshows.

Thanks...

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:24 am

Judy, there's nothing that can more quickly ruin one's love for something than having to do it as part of a job, so I don't blame you at all for using shows as gifts. (Maybe you add a note to your gift shows that says "Please don't feed me chocolate.")

Why don't you post your question in a separate thread where it won't be quite so buried as it is here? The more people who see it, the more responses you're likely to get.

Barbara

Postby TimelessTreasures2 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:52 pm

Hi Mark,
I would love to see one of your show samples if you would post the link to it.
I believe a truly magnificent show is created from within. It is from a true passion to take something ordinary and make it extra-ordinary.

My story begins with an unfortunate, tragic, accident and a memorial I created for the family.
They wanted me to post it on Facebook to share with family that were not able to come to the funeral and I found myself in "business" and not prepared at all. It was also shown at a local fundraiser for the family, on a gigantic screen, with over 500 people in attendance. (I had no idea it was being shown until after the fact) and it just happened "word of mouth". I am now online trying to learn an easier way than "trail by fire," as I originally did it with the trail program of Pro Show Producer. During that show I , learned as much as possible with the help key, calling Photodex, trial & error, but mostly with the help from a person I found online who did slideshows. I shall call her, for sake of privacy, my "kindered spirit." We have become true, true friends, and she is like a sister I never had ... and it is so UNUSUAL, THE WAY WE MET. I THINK IT WAS MEAN TO BE.

For this story, we will backtrack a little. I was online looking for samples and ran across her site. I emailed her and she responded right away, but saying that she was on vacation and would answer all my questions when she returned, but did answer the one, very important one, and that was referring me to try the full trial version of Pro Show Producer, as that is what she used for her shows. I was and still am amazed with this software. It allowed me to produce a professional slideshow that has been sitting and waiting in my creative soul for years.

I was always "the one" in corporate America that they would ask to do their PowerPoint and Slideshows, but had never used anything but Microsoft's Photo Story. Once I experienced the comparison, I never turned back. I used to work in the scientific world but only as an administrative assistant. I was never able to do just a simple presentation. I had to have the color, creativity or passion involved, even though it may have been of "test tubes and the like."

To make a long story, shorter ... I was so anxious to have this person return from vacation and this next part is truly, amazing. It turned out she resides in Canada. I live in Southern California. We have never met in person. And guess where she was vacationing? Within 20 miles from where I live. She has been my mentor, my teacher, and pointed me to this site and always seems to steer me down the right path. We are not and have not had any formal graphic design training and are self-taught, with the help of sites like this one and the wonderful people at Photodex. We are working on a show together for an upcoming reunion I have and she and I share a place called "DropBox" to exchange images and video clips and we then merge them together. She uses the "capture" tool on Producer to also teach me with the screen shots. We have invited them to the reunion and I hope, we do get to meet in person.
This reunion is in May, and I have another show that is due March 5. The theme for the March Show is Hollywood Nights, and the one in May is "Patriotic". If there is anyone who has a template or idea for either, it would be greatly appreciated. It is for my husband's navy group that consists of about 800 pictures. I do a site for them on Shutterfly, and they have posted pictures, but unfortunately, they have to be downloaded one at a time. Yet another way to preserve an "offsite" storage for free.

I am a senior, and have worked hard my entire life, but never enjoyed much of it. I am addicted to ProShow (even with a few wishes for the future software) and what it can do to create extra-ordinary, memorable moments for generations to come.

My problem now is learning the basic simple techniques as I believe I pumped out that show in 36 hours on some type of super power. I look back and cannot believe I did it. I now have three upcoming shows, and have become almost "paralyzed" with, how do I do this, and that , etc. I know what I want to do in my mind's eye, but do not have the technique down yet, but enjoying it anyway. This is more than I can say for any position I held the 50 plus working years that I spent working for others, and many of them not very nice people to work with.
After I am done with my research on the "basic, best, beginners, tutorials" I will post them up here, all in one spot, to "pay it forward" as my friend in Canada has done for me.

Another great thing about Shutterfly, is you can create a page called useful sites and post all your links in one spot. Then share them if you wish, or you can set the permissions to "private" and only for your eyes. This is where I am housing my own business site to send links until I can find the time and money to create another separate one. They have templates predone, and you can make a site in about five mintues so try that if you are struggling with a place to hold photos or present your work. It also allows videos up to 15 minutes and up to 10 free. 29.99 a year for unlimited.

If I don't end now, I never will, so I will sum it up by saying ... If it had not been for my "kindered spirit", and she knows who she is, I would never and will not make it. She has been a godsend and she does it with an open heart and smile and positive attitude, which amazes me within itself as her life is not without heartache and obstacles. I truly owe her so much, but can only give back with helping someone else, or creating something to prove her efforts were and are worthwhile. The best compliment I received was from a funeral director, who wanted me to re-do his wife's memorial that he had done by a professional that charged him three times more than I would. I do want to do some fun pet things, and grandkid shows of all their sports, but would take three assistants (I have 16 grandchildren). So, to everyone that thinks they are too old to learn, I say "hogwash." So help with beginning lessons, tutorials, and themes if you can ...

PS: By the way, the phrase "slide show" just does not seem to fit what one
can accomplish with Producer. I suggest we have a contest to come up with a better terminology. I keep hearing, yes I did one of those for " bla bla bla" and I am thinking,
Not like this software can do it ... don't think so. " AND ... IT IS MY FAVORITE COLOR ...
P U R P L E!

Thanks you all for your postings, it is helping me tremendously. Now if we had one on how to quit procrastinating and just jump in with both feet, might help greatly.

Regards and Bless you all. "Pro Show on ...." :D
Lin,
Simi Valley, CA

Postby TimelessTreasures2 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:17 pm

To Judy. :idea:
I posted my sample on Shutterfly for the time being. I am just getting started and don't have the money or the time for a full blown website and it is a way to send a link to show people worldwide. I use this and share with family in the military overseas.

Might work for the time being. Cannot be too long though, or it won't post and it does take a very long time. So hit the key and go nite nite. and hope it is there in the morning.

Lin

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:01 pm

Lin, you win, I think, for the longest ever post on this forum! :D

We've all got our stories about how we came to ProShow and this great forum, but so many people are shy about telling their tales. I'm glad you aren't. Isn't it sometimes stunning how one thing connects to another and another and on and on until, we can even lose sight of how we got to wherever we are? Just one small thing done differently or at a different time, and none of it would have happened at all. Other stuff would have happened instead.

Behind the scenes here, people are always connecting, making friends, often very good friends, people never met either now or in the future, and yet the friendships are strong nonetheless. It seems you built one of those friendships even before you arrived here.

With all the enthusiasm you have for building shows and for learning and improving, I've no doubt you'll accomplish everything you want.

Barbara

Esteemed Member

Postby skb1951 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:40 pm

I know this thread has been going on for sometime, but I've just fininshed reading everyone's story and I'm inspired to share mine. So here goes.

Feb.'08 I retired from the Colorado Department of Corrections as the Programs Manager for the High Security Management. Most of my career was working in the maximum security enviroment. We housed the State of Colorado's most violent and disruptive offenders. So after many years "in prison" I retired and decided to persue some new hobbies.

September of 2008 I took my retirement trip to Peru to see Machu Picchu. Of course, I took hundreds of pictures. A friend of mine volunteered to create a slideshow of my pictures. Once I saw it I was hooked. She told me she had used a program called ProShow Producer. I begged Santa Claus for the program and Christmas morning found it under the tree. I had, and still do, a big learning curve ahead of me. Can't really remember how I stumbled across the Enthusiast site, BUT BOY AM I GLAD I DID. I've learned more from this site than from any of the books that I purchased. Everyone has been so friendly and helpful. I'm truly amazed.

I have only posted one show that I did for our local Animal Welfare fundraiser. I've done several shows for my family's birthdays and some of my vacations. Unfortunately I've also done a couple of memorial shows. I've had several people tell me I should start a business, but I so enjoy being retired I would hate to ruin a good thing. So for now I will continue to make shows for friends and family, which is what I really enjoy.

I'm so thankful for all the "expertise" that I find on this site. Hopefully, I can give back a little of what has been given to me.

Sue
Whether you say you can, or whether you say you can't....you're right!

Proshow Producer 5.0.322, Adobe Elements 8.0, Canon t2i

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:52 am

Sue, thank you for telling us about you. What a change of environment for you--from prison to freedom! So for you, Producer isn't just any pleasure; instead, it must be like a sigh of relief.

Yes, this forum is one of the best on the internet. The people here are helpful, friendly, and occasionally silly. Better, as you point out, than any book.

Barbara

Valued Member

Postby lynn1102 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:11 pm

My story: Back in the late 80's I bought a video camera. I figured there had to be a way to make money with it, so I did a few free weddings for friends. This was on weekends while working a full time job. Did editing the old fashioned way with no program, except for fast fingers for play and record. I took early retirement and kept doing video. My son and brother helped when needed. A small fortune in new equipment kept me going till 2005. My son started working for youth sports at his son's school, which limited his time. My brother decided to move 4 hours away, just so his wife could accept a $100,00 a year job - never figured that out. In 2005 I needed surgery. While it didn't dis-able me, it was very hard trying to stay on my feet for 8 to 12 hours for weddings.
Along with the weddings, I also did photo montages for the weddings, anniversaries, re-unions etc. I quit doing weddings, but kept the photo business. I found and used Gold for several years, then updated to Producer. I don't remember how I found this site, but glad I did. I don't do as many fancy shows anymore, but still do thousands of slides and photos for archive purposes. Some reunions came back for seconds (5 years later) so I hope that continues.
I also do some video editing using Vegas. I shoot some video for smaller groups, but no more all day affairs. I got spoiled and like the free time in between. That's all folks.

Lynn

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:16 am

Lynn, it's always fascinating how one thing leads to another or how connections are made between a person and events, everything affecting everything else, and that's what your tale exemplifies. I'm with you: Why would anyone move to secure a 100k job? :D

Thank you so much for sharing your tale.

Barbara

PreviousNext

Return to Business Applications