Another copyright question

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.

Another copyright question

Postby Zotz1 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:39 pm

Hey all ,
hope everyone is making great shows :) Im going to ask an old question hoping someone has come up with
a better mouse trap. Has anyone come up with a way to keep people from making a copy of their DVD show?
I see there are sites online that offer blank CDs with codes that prevent copy but I havent found any for
DVDs. Has anyone come up with any Ideas on this ? As always a great big thanks in advance.
Paul :)

Re: Another copyright question

Postby juicedownload » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:30 pm

Hi Paul,

While your concerns are understandable and relevant, there's not really much one can do for protection on DVDs. There's a thread discussing this topic. I don't know where it is though. Short conclusion was that there's nothing reasonable that can be done.

Digital Rights Management (DRM) in the film/game/music industry has been, at times, an utter disaster. There are plenty of unhappy and angry consumers that have expressed themselves over the years. Even if you could DRM up your DVDs, they can still easily be copied.

If you can watch it, you can copy it.

Here's a brief example. Look at Photodex, the company behind Proshow.

Did you know one can easily obtain full versions of Producer, Gold, and many of the stylepacks and training materials without payment? How do you think Photodex feels about that? Are they losing a lot of money? Not necessarily. Obtaining an unpaid copy doesn't necessarily equate to a lost sale, as not everyone who takes is capable or willing to pay the money. It actually tells you that Photodex is popular and that they have a quality product that apparently is worth cracking. And that's a good thing in a way. Photodex then has to press onwards towards convincing a growing market the value of their application and justify the cost.

Photodex even employs protection using registration keys for all their products, and people still break it. The game never ends. Copy protection is merely a deterrent for potential infringers and a nag to legitimate customers. How many times have you watched a rented/bought DVD movie that has copyright notices all over it that can't be skipped? Many legitimate customers find that annoying, while, ironically, the copyright infringer never sees said notices because their copy is clean.

As a final note, I would focus more on how to turn this inevitable situation into something that works in your favor. From a marketing perspective, sure, people may infringe upon your copyrighted work, but your product/service gets free advertising and awareness to a wider audience. If it's good quality, new customers will come looking for your customized product/service. Oftentimes, you can make it work in your favor, especially when you're starting out small.

Tim

Postby andemande » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:09 am

hello Paul,

please do not take it personally, but my feeling is that if you charge enough for your shows you should never worry whether a customer copies the DVD for family, friends etc. He paid you for making a show out of his own stuff but not for burning the CD/DVD.

I started to loathe the music industry when they put copy restrictions on CDs. All I ever wanted was to have an mp3 copy for my own jogging mp3 stick. In the end I just did not buy music CDs any more.

Postby debngar » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:47 am

Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:47 pm

I wouldn't waste brain cycles trying. It won't work and you are, in my opinion, more likely to lose business from the attempts than make any money from it.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby Zotz1 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:21 pm

Hey Guys ,
Thanks so much for the great advice ,after reading your posts and links Ive decided to re-invent myself .
Im going to put together packages with a minimum number of copys .Im also going to add a short ad at the end for
me and a quick ( hahaha) copyright of the show . Your all right :) If someone is going to copy it ? It must be worth
the effort :) So Im going to make sure my short ad is at the end :)
Thanks again for all the great advice !
Paul

Postby juicedownload » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:28 pm

Zotz1 wrote:Hey Guys ,

Im going to put together packages with a minimum number of copys .Im also going to add a short ad at the end for
me and a quick ( hahaha) copyright of the show .

That's an excellent idea. Always put your name or business at the end. If you sell videos to business for them to use commercially then they should be paying extra for that type of license, in that case your name should not be there.

Tim

Valued Member

Postby Harry » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:04 am

Zotz1 wrote:Hey Guys ,
Thanks so much for the great advice ,after reading your posts and links Ive decided to re-invent myself .
me and a quick ( hahaha) copyright of the show . Your all right :) If someone is going to copy it ? It must be worth
the effort :) So Im going to make sure my short ad is at the end :)
Thanks again for all the great advice !
Paul

This sounds like you are heading in the right direction now....Let your work speak for you and people will keep coming back....Make your money off of the show and not the copies...
Harry

Postby juicedownload » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:31 pm

I thought this was an interesting news piece discussing DRM Protections...

HDCP 'master key' supposedly released, unlocks HDTV copy protection permanently
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/14/hdcp ... y-protect/

"Just as the MPAA is preparing to offer movies to customers at home while they're still in theaters by limiting playback to DRM-protected digital outputs only, the HDCP protocol they rely on may have been cracked wide open. All devices that support HDCP, like Blu-ray players, set-top boxes and displays with HDMI inputs, have their own set of keys to encrypt and decrypt protected data and if keys for a particular device are compromised, they can be revoked by content released in the future which will then refuse to play. Now, posts have been floating around on Twitter about a supposed "master key" which renders that protection unusable since it allows anyone to create their own source and sink keys."

"If this story turns out to be true, we are looking at a new era of DRM failure and fallout that can only be described as epic." - http://slyck.com/story2046_HDCP_Copy_Pr ... ia_Twitter

Return to Business Applications