Sales Tax Collection or Not

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.

Re: Sales Tax Collection or Not

Postby duglas50 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:28 pm

In Iowa if you buy something on line and they didn't charge you the sales tax, then as the consumer, you are responsible to report the sale and pay the tax. It's called a use tax.

Doug
Family Heritage Photography
http://www.familyheritagephotography.com
    Producer 5.0, Photoshop Elements 14, Lightroom 6, Adobe Premiere Elements 9, Topaz Adjust, Portrait Professional, On1 Photo 10, ImgBurn, Audacity, Nikon D7200, D5000

Postby Ron » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:08 pm

http://www.meetup.com/LI-Photographers/events/15691616/?a=me1p_grp&rv=me1p
Hi all
I'm going to attend the above meeting, Nassau County NY, maybe they will clear up the issue and hopefully some others too.
Ron
PS: Doug NY is the same way - that might be a federal country wide amendment.
"Family over Friends" "Night over Day" "Nikon over Canon" "Gravy over Everything"

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:53 am

Ron, as far as I know (which isn't necessarily that far), there are federal sales taxes only on the most vital things like energy plus on "sinful" things like alcohol and tobacco. But you can bet your last crinkled dollar that the feds are looking for a way to tax everything else, too. :(

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby Ron » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:24 am

that might be a federal country wide amendment

Hi Barb I guess what I was trying to say and what I said don't match with each other. What I mean't was that probably every state in the union is probably collecting sales tax for online purchases in one shape or another("use tax" as Doug called it).

But you can bet your last crinkled dollar that the feds are looking for a way to tax everything else, too

You don't want to start to open that can of worms here do you :?: It's downright disgusting that our government has lost their way .... I remember reading this when I was a kid
government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

We have strayed far !!
"Family over Friends" "Night over Day" "Nikon over Canon" "Gravy over Everything"

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:22 am

Ron, let's both of us breathe very deeply and think peaceful thoughts. :D

Barbara

Postby Ron » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:35 am

There's no place like home.

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:37 am

:lol:

Postby JEMedia » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:56 pm

Ron wrote:
government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

We have strayed far !!

With all its shortcomings, I've never seen or heard of a better place that provides the opportunities and freedoms America does.

Postby Ron » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:09 pm

JEMedia
I'm sorry for opening that can of worms, this forum isn't the place.
My apoligies!

Postby texbrandt » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:42 pm

Someone mentioned paying the "use tax" if the seller does not charge you tax- that is incorrect, there is a "use tax" and it is the seller who might be liable for it. If I maintain an inventory that is potentially subject to sales tax and I dip into the inventory for items for my own use then theoretically I should pay use tax. In a situation where the seller is supposed to collect sales tax and fails to do so, it is the seller who is liable for the sales tax, and for collecting it.

Just for grins I went to the Texas website for sales tax. I would imagine that every state has such a website and contact information for anything you have questions about. I traveled to Arts and Crafts shows for many years and had a variety of experiences with different states and collecting sales tax. Even though it is a bit more paperwork having a sales tax permit does have benefits beyond keeping you out of trouble with the state.

My tax number got me in the door with a lot of the places that sold wholesale. On items that were not for resale or to be incorporated into a product on which sales tax was to be charged I generally paid tax, the main thing for me was that the tax number was important as a part of my credentials as a business.

I no longer have a sales tax permit, but if I was going to be doing a lot of business I would seek clarification from the state as to what I should charge tax on- case in point- the shop where I got all my router bits and carbide saw blades sharpened got hung on a fine point- if I recall correctly it they were supposed to have been charging tax on anything they actually modified beyond just sharpening, cost them several thousand in tax and penalties. So if I get to the point where I doing slides shows and videos for my own amazement and actually making some money I will consult the state tax office.

Robert
I like the statement attributed to Winston Churchill, "democracy is the worst form of government in the world, except for all the others." I think this applies very well to the United States
"Seeking questions for life's persistent answers."
http://texbrandt.com/blog

Postby seprus505 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:21 pm

With all due respect paying the sales tax and not the income tax is not keeping things on the up and up. Not sure how these agencies interact with eachother but one may key an interest by the other.

Postby greyhoundx » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:13 pm

Not sure why some here think the OP or others have said they'd pay the sales tax but not income taxes - that was never mentioned from what I read. The question was quite the opposite, that they pay their income taxes but questioned when they had to pay the sales tax.

In CT the Department of Revenue Services holds free seminars on various topics, such as when sales tax has to be collected for products or services.

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:27 pm

greyhoundx wrote:Not sure why some here think the OP or others have said they'd pay the sales tax but not income taxes

Overclocking is probably the cause. :D

Barbara

Previous

Return to Business Applications