What do you see as a fair price??

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.

What do you see as a fair price??

Postby glen4cindy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:54 pm

Hello all....

I first purchased ProShow Gold in April of 2006, and just last week, ProShow Producer. It all started as a thought to make slideshows for mostly personal reasons, with a thought that I might make a few as a small business.

I'm still trying the small business route, though, getting the word out seems to be the most difficult aspect of my process. I feel I could do much better if I could reach more people with my service.

That being said, those of you who are "selling your service" of making slideshows, without my being too personal and into your business, what do you use as a pricing model? My wife, and many of my friends all tell me that I charge way to little, but, my response has always been that it is very difficult to properly price "creativity". In my mind, at least, there has to be some sort of equal pricing model for every customer. I was advised by one individual that I should charge "by the hour" for scanning, and inserting into the show, and preparing the Styles and transitions and music, and burning and printing DVD's, and all the content that goes into show creation. I'm not one that lets ProShow build the show automatically, I have been doing things myself.....

I don't really feel a "by the hour" is a fair model because of a number of factors. I may be able to work faster on one show than another, or I may encounter equipment problems, or any number of things that may delay things, that would draw things out, or whatever that would make that model unfair, at least in my eyes.

Anyhow, some direction from some possibly those more experienced than I would be greatly experienced in this case. So far, my pricing model has been $1 per photo if I have to scan, and $0.85 for digital images, and $1 for each title slide after the first. So far, I have always requested my customers to provide their own music. I have an extensive library, but, I am not sure of the limitations of law on that aspect, so, I just require they provide their own.

Thanks, in advance.

Re: What do you see as a fair price??

Postby trulytango » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:46 pm

I just now read through the article but it doesn't seem to have any "hard" information in it, appearing to be geared toward professional photographers who add in a show with the package of photos sold to a client. No mention of doing shows for people using their photos--wedding, anniversary, memorial, birthday, and such where scanning and processing are often involved.

Related to this is that, If I were going to create shows as a business, I'd put together a number of templates--not standalone slide styles--so I could reduce the amount of time spent. The reason for templates is that they're faster to work with while nevertheless containing slide styles to eliminate constantly searching for the right one. This would be particularly important for memorial shows because the lead time can be truly short.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby trulytango » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:05 am

Yes, the article is pitched in one direction - but there's some interesting replies from all and sundry :D
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby photoray » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:48 am

http://www.slideshowblog.com/2011/09/selling-slideshows-how-much-to-charge-pt-2/

Just thought I would add this since it came out after this conversation was posted. I think the OP posed a very good question. I am curious what pricing model glen4cindy decided to use.

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:20 am

The second half of the article gets fairly close to the burning question of what to charge. The stated $35-to-$75 hourly charge may seem wishy-washy, but their remarks about price depending on your location explain it. Knowing the range, it's important to scout the local market to see what others are charging for services that, though they might not be exactly the same, are similar.

Not doing slideshows for hire, I've never really looked into it, but the phone book's yellow pages tell me I could find out without much difficulty what's being charged for similar services.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby photoray » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:00 pm

The stated $35-to-$75 hourly charge may seem wishy-washy, but their remarks about price depending on your location explain it.

Well said. Figuring out what to charge for anything has always the toughest part for me. :)

Postby islumomma » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:08 am

Hello , I'm new to this forum and to the business. I did my pricing after looking at what others charged for the same service. You are more than welcome to check out my website if you need some ideas
www.foreverlegacies.net

Return to Business Applications