Advice on web site

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.
Esteemed Member

Advice on web site

Postby glyn53 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:55 am

Hi

After successfully selling over 5,000 postcards (which I've made and printed) to some retailers in the resort in just two weeks, and demand still very good with more orders, I have purchased a web site to sell my cards and by the summer will be selling keyrings, mugs etc (holiday memorys all with my own photos on them of the resort).
Not for a moment did I expect it to be successful and have been very surprised with the demand for something new by retailers. For example, the postcards which were on sale were all printed 20 to 30 years ago - very outdated :shock: Now the retailers are taking them down and replacing them with mine. So found a place to be filled in the market.

I am not business minded and need help and advice in getting a professional looking web site going. Below is the web site address with just a basic idea of what I want - I've never produced a web site before. All advice and help would be very much appreciated.

www.cleethorpescards.vpweb.co.uk

Regards
Glyn
www.cleethorpescards.vpweb.co.uk

Re: Advice on web site

Postby trulytango » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:04 am

Well done, Glyn!

Get in your car and 'do' all the resorts along the East Coast too.

Good Luck 8)

iris
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Esteemed Member

Postby glyn53 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:09 pm

trulytango wrote:Well done, Glyn!

Get in your car and 'do' all the resorts along the East Coast too.

Good Luck 8)

iris

Thank you. A great idea, must visit more resorts to expand.
Just need to do a professional looking web site.

Glyn

Postby Bart_B » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:25 pm

Glyn,

Looks good to me. Clean, simple, easy to grasp. Postcards pop up to a nice closeup and I think in 30 seconds you have your message across. I'm sure somebody will have ideas to help tweak it but sure looks good to me. I did spot one thing that I think needs a change.

"I'm a local photographer who has found that the resorts postcards have not been updated since the 1980's."

I think resorts should be resort's. Grammar in school which was a long time ago, was not good then so I may be wrong, but I'm sure somebody will jump in here and help us get it right!

Bart

Postby obeeone » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:25 pm

G'day Glyn & Bart

It's a long time for me too Bart but I think Glyn is correct, resorts is just the plural of resort and so I don't believe it should have the apostrophe. I have been wrong before though, any school teachers out there.
This is an edit, after reading it again I think it should read resort postcards.

Carl

Bart_B wrote:Glyn,

"I'm a local photographer who has found that the resorts postcards have not been updated since the 1980's."

I think resorts should be resort's. Grammar in school which was a long time ago, was not good then so I may be wrong, but I'm sure somebody will jump in here and help us get it right!

Bart
Photodex Gallery: http://www.photodex.com/share/obeeone

There are 10 types of people who understand binary:
Those who do and those who don't.

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:32 pm

It should read "resorts' postcards". The apostrophe comes afer the "s" because you have a plural possessive. I'm assuming he is referring to the group of resorts in the area and not just the one he has already done work for.

Mike

Postby obeeone » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:10 pm

Good work Mike

The only thing we need to do is wait for a reply from Glyn. I thought from the web site that it was just Cleethorpes but I suppose there could be more than one resort there.

Carl

MG - Admin wrote:It should read "resorts' postcards". The apostrophe comes afer the "s" because you have a plural possessive. I'm assuming he is referring to the group of resorts in the area and not just the one he has already done work for.

Mike

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:36 pm

Going back and reading Glyn's text I would change my answer above to read "resort's postcards". I assumed that he was creating a site to earn future business at multiple resorts, but it appears to be a simple summary of how he came about the business by referencing just the one resort.

Mike

Postby obeeone » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:09 pm

Stone the crows this is harder than I thought!

This from WikiHow:

Never use an apostrophe to indicate a plural. The wrong use of an apostrophe to form the plural is called the greengrocer's apostrophe, since grocers are often the worst (or at least the most visible) offenders. If you have more than one apple, then write apples, not apple's. If you cannot replace the word with "his," "her," "their", or "its" and if it isn't a contraction, then an apostrophe should not be used.

Carl

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:44 pm

In both of my suggestions the apostrophe represents possession, not plural. In my first example the apostrophe is after the "s" representing the plural, but the apostrophe shows that the postcards "belong" to the resort, or resorts in that case.

The resort's postcards are old. (one resort)
The resorts' postcards are old. (more than one resort)
The postcards at the resort are old. (one resort)
The postcards at the resorts are old. (more than one resort)

To be honest, the entire first paragraph Glyn has posted on his site could be cleaned up to be more clear. It gets the point across, but as a business site I would do it differently.

Mike

Postby Bart_B » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:49 am

Mike, I'm pretty sure is right. The apostrophe to my recollection as well refers the the possessive of either one or more resorts and it could probably be better written!! lol Should have thought of that one myself in the first place.

Bart

Postby tdew » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:21 am

I THINK that Cleethorpes is the town - which is considered a resort town. It looks like all the cards refer to Cleethorpes. The confusion may be because of a difference in our cultures. In the US we usually associate the word resort with a specific hotel property. Someplace like Orlando may have numerous resort properties.
If we're only talking about one place, the "resort's" cards would be correct.

Postby trulytango » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:06 am

Hey, Glyn. Listen to Mike, he's right. Ditch that first paragraph... it does sound unprofessional. The way you say it, you make it sound as though any amateur could do better?

YOU are doing more than updating the postcard stock... you are presenting Cleethorpes with a fresh pair of eyes, a fresh lens. Letting people SEE that people are still visiting the place in this day and age. 8)
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Esteemed Member

Postby glyn53 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:00 pm

Thanks everyone. I have deleted the sentence and replaced the text. I'll have to get resort's, resorts - Umm resorts' :shock: correct when I extend to other holiday destinations in a few months. At the moment it is only for Cleethorpes and I'm getting plenty of orders - received 2 orders today for 2,300 cards and also had requests from three businesses for some personal cards.
What started as a venture to earn a little pocket money has gone further than I imagined, but very pleased with it :D
I've put a couple more postcards on the site and I'm going to set up a pay pal account to add to the site. My wife was surprised to see herself on a postcard for sale, I didn't tell her :roll: She is imortalised on the first postcard sat at a cafe. Since she saw them on sale yesterday at some of the resort shops, she's pleased - prew 8)

Glyn

Return to Business Applications