New business help

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.

New business help

Postby michelleh » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:45 pm

Help!!! Am planning to start a slideshow/video business using Proshow Producer. Until now, I've been creating videos purely for fun. A wedding planner friend is having a bridal expo in a few weeks and would like me to have a table. My problem is this: I know nothing about what is legally or practically necessary to get this business up and running. Obviously I need a name, website, pricing packages, contracts, and probably some basic marketing materials (business cards, brochures, etc.). I am also working on a "promotional" slideshow that I can put on a CD for the take-home bags. I saw a post on sales tax, so I know I need to look into that. I'm sure a lot of this varies by state, but what else do I need to do? I think my county requires that I post the business name in the local papers to give anyone else with a prior claim on it to say so. Not sure about a business license, tax ID #, etc, etc, etc. Feel like I'm way in over my head here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Michelle

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: New business help

Postby briancbb » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:01 pm

Michelle

There are a number of people on this forum who can help you, however it would help greatly if they knew where you were in this wide world. mentioning 'State' would probably place you in one of the American States, but it could possibly be Australia, South Africa, etc.

I know the likelyhood is that it is an American State, stating which, there maybe someone in that state who could help with state tax.

Besides which it is nice to know where people are from. :D Just add to your profile a little.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby michelleh » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:12 pm

Sorry, Brian -- I live in Illinois.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:09 pm

Ah! The windy city state.

I managed to Chicago once on a business trip which included a weekend, and had time to go up Sears Tower and walk on the glass floor, and see some of the lake front. A wonderful city, even if the traffic lines are kind of narrow.

As I say, nice to know where people are from, brings back memories to me now.

Unfortunately, being in the UK, Scotland, I can't help with your questions, however I note that there is a thread on 'Sales Tax' just a few below your on the section of the forum.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby debngar » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:36 pm

Your state's own web page that speaks about securing a resale license is your best resource to get the info directly from the horses mouth. That should explain requirements for your state for collecting sales tax etc. Every state is different. Can't say about Illinois in particular because I'm in CA.

I just Googled and found this which should answer at least some of your questions.

http://www.revenue.state.il.us/#t=tab4

Also your local chamber of commerce might have resources they can point you to resources related to starting a small business. Google for that info too.

You will have to refer to your city's website for the local license requirements etc specific to your address. That can vary from city to city, county to county etc.

As far as feeling like you're over your head, join the club. The govt doesn't make it easier with each year that goes by either. Lots of filings and requirements that have to be just right, red-tape, paperwork, regulations, tax payments etc. :roll:
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:56 pm

You mention having a table in a few weeks, but it's altogether possible you won't be set up as a business by then. The bureaucratic wheels turn verrrrry slowly.

I believe--if it's like it is in NYS where I am--when you file as a business, the (slow) bureaucracy will let you know if the name is already being used by someone else.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Return to Business Applications