MAking transitions

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
Esteemed Member

MAking transitions

Postby reptep » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:07 pm

Trying to make a transition for christmas show. Am trying to make an image go from bottom left to top right in the transition. First time I have done this so took out my conference book but problems ensue.

1)I put 2 layers of the same picture I want to use to creat transition. I mark the first as the source and the seonc as the destination. It says to start source file with full oppacity in kf1 and 0 in the kf2 spot. On the destination file it says to starte at 0 and end in full opacity.. When I scrub thru it, the source slide only dims slightly and then comes back on full opacity. The 2nd layerstays full opacity, even with the setting correct. I tried to go ahead and create the transision anyway. That doesn't work. It not only shows the origin picture as full capacity, it also shows thedestination slide on the scrren the whole time. I actually went into effects..mortion effects...to set movement the way I wanted but that didn't work at all. Am I suppose to show the motion I want in tthe effects/motion effects tabe while creating the transition?

2)I tried several times to get this to work. Whe I thought I had it, I created the transition and inserted in a transition spot between slides. It actually took the previous "slide" and made it the transition by moving the whole slide the same way I had set the motion effect in my transition No sign of the actual file )santa slegih) I wanted. Just took the whole slide and moved it in motion the way I had set for the transition

I think i'm missing a key area here but I was following the conference book exactly and it just went all heywire.

If anyone can understand this ccan you please let me know what I am doing wrong or what I am missing

I got so frustrated with it that I just keyframed the sleigh into the slide at the very end. It works but I'm frustrated with not creating the transition as I want to do more of those.

thank you very very much
Todd
s
I

Re: MAking transitions

Postby anitaemile » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:22 pm

I don't think I really understood what you are saying, but from reading through this post it seems like you used the SAME picture twice. Once as the source layer , and once as the destination layer . So, when the first image dims, the other gets to full opacity, and because it is the same image it looks like nothing happens.
If you want to make the source image move from the full screen to move out of the screen and at the same time the opacity going to 0% what you can do is use the initial layer (source) as top layer, Beginning keyframe is set at x and y at 0 ( image full screen ) and opacity at 100%. Move the image out of the screen ( drag it or set the x and y to where you don't see the image anymore) which could be kf2 , and set the opacity to 0%
For the destination layer you have to use ANOTHER image. You should put that one underneath the original image ( under the source layer) and it will automatically show up when the original layer moves away and gets to a 0% opacity.
What it comes down to is that the source layer is the layer you want to leave, and the destination layer is the layer you want to show after the transition. So those can not be the same layers ( images)

Esteemed Member

Postby reptep » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:20 pm

Oh...well ....after you say that it makes sense but.....
I am trying to move a sleigh from bottom left to top right and make it a transition so that I can have that stored for future use. Is it not possible to make a transition with the same image? In other words it would probably be just as easy to use that as a layer with motion ????

How do they make these transitions like one I just purchased. They were boxes that moved from left to right and were the same picture all the way through the transition?

Postby anitaemile » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:33 pm

If you want to make a sleigh move from left to right, what then is coming after the sleigh is off the screen?
Do you want the sleigh to go off screen after it has moved from left to right, or do you want it to stay at the right side of the screen? If you want to leave it on the screen then it is not a transition. A transition is when something happens ( like boxes moving over the screen and disappearing) while the original image is being replaced with another one. A transition where boxes move over the screen : these boxes probably disappear after the transition . They might have moved over an image and after they did so they revealed another image. Is that how it was?

Esteemed Member

Postby reptep » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:20 am

You know what I don't think I'm doing right? I was puttintg that transition at the end of slide one BUT I didn't have a slide 2 to follow up.

However, when I try to add a transition with only 1 slide/ (withought a follow up frame) the transition still appears on the screen and then fades to nothing as there is not another slide to go to.

Trying to make a transition where the sleigh will move from left to right and then go off the screen. Then it should go right into the next slide.

Me thinks I'm getting more confused now.

Postby Ron » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:47 am

http://choicebackgroundsserver.com/article_info.php?articles_id=30
Hi Todd
Maybe the above attached link by Jennifer (Choice Backgrounds) can help you a bit. It's a great video tutorial (approx 15min.) on making transitions. I don't know about you but I find visual aids much more beneficial. I realize that it's not exactly what you want but if you understand the process, I think you can then tweak it to fit your needs ... change the Smiley to the Sleigh, use of Wipe-Lower Left etc...
Good Luck
Ron
"Family over Friends" "Night over Day" "Nikon over Canon" "Gravy over Everything"

Esteemed Member

Postby quetzal » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:40 am

Hi,
That's the way. Ron you're allright. Jennifer's tutorial is the tutorial for knowing how to create transition. quetzal :D

Postby anitaemile » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:48 am

reptep

Yes ,I think you are very confused, and I too think you should watch Jennifer's video to get some basics on how to make a transition. Once you get how to make a transition ( from just one slide, and not multiple as your last response was indicating) you will figure out how to make your desired result. I am sure it will click , so don't give up now.

Anita

Postby mizdoc » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:04 am

I made a Santa Sleigh transition like you describe. Here is the link to see it on Youtube;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aC2Xp2XQjk

All I did was follow Jennifer's (from Choice Background) directions to make a transition, and used an animated gif of Santa & his sleigh. For the starting point (Effects tab) I dragged the sleigh to the left bottom edge, so I could barely see it. And for the ending point, I dragged it to the far right upper edge, again so I could barely see a bit of it. I also made a Santa tiptoeing across the screen the same way.

Postby anitaemile » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:26 am

If you want to start a layer outside the slide ( there where you can't see the image), and would like to see where your layer is located, go to
Effects: Motion Effects and click on Precision View Icon ( the magnifying glass with +sign on the left side )

Esteemed Member

Postby reptep » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:45 pm

Thanks all for suggesstions. I will watch that video this weekend. That probalby should help. I do learn much better with videos. May have to get back on if I have problems. but will start there first. Thanks for the link
Also thank you Anita for the tip on precision viewing. I always wondered about how to find a layer when it's off the screen. That will be very very helpful

Todd

Esteemed Member

Postby reptep » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:27 am

Ok y'all. I was WAY off on this one. So I watched Jennifers turtorail and have tried again.
I am getting stuck towards the end where I have to move KF2 back to show the ending position so that I can line up the transition "wipe" correclty. When I move KF2 back, the sleigh does not show up on the ending position (or anywhere for that matter) so I don't know where to adjust the timing of the transision. The layer (a sleigh) is top layer and is checked on. When I push the play or scrub thru, it shows the sleigh motion correctly. Just don't see it when I move KF2 back to match up .

Tried several times,....had all my settings as in the tutorial. What the heck Am I doing wrong?

Todd

Esteemed Member

Postby reptep » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:11 pm

AFter watching Jennifers, tutorial, I have now made several transitions succesfully. Easy once you know how.
Here's another question. I have a transition made by someone that has snowflakes. It looks like the snowflakes come from the left and right of the screen, kind of come together, and then fall off the screen.
Am wondering how that is done. Are there duplicated layers of the snowflakes with oppisite matching motion ? Can you have to graphics in 1 layer when making a transition?

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:17 pm

Without seeing the snowflakes, I can only imagine the motion, but if they're moving in different directions at the same time, then it has to be two layers. You can have as many layers as you want in a transition the same as you can in a slide style. Essentially, you're creating a slide style but with two mandatory layers: the outgoing slide and the incoming slide.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby robflores » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:38 pm

Jennifer ROCKS

_rob

Next

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks