Fractional control values

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Fractional control values

Postby Magmatic » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:04 pm

I have rued that it seemed things like zoom and rotate could only be in integer values. But then I entered something like 37.5 on a lark, and it took it! The control display would change to a rounded off number, but the zoom on the screen stayed 37.5! Yes!

I wished I had know that recently when I spent a lot of time trying to line two images up rotation-wise.
David Shuford

Re: Fractional control values

Postby im42n8 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:49 pm

Yes, the display reverts to decimal but will retain the decimal value. WHY they would do that is beyond me. Unfortunately, you can't tell what the number is once it's reverted to the integer version. However, if you change a value to a decimal version and then go to another keyframe, if the decimal values in the box are the same you'll still see that decimal value (provided you did not let the previous box revert to a decimal value first).

That's a bummer. Photodex has a request to keep the decimal values displayed instead of reverting to the integer version. It's hard to say when, or if, they'll let us ever see the decimal values.

Another thing you "might" be interested in is how zoom works with a modifier. In the simple application of modifiers, the modifier is a percent of a percent. So, if your zoom is 100, adding a modifier of 1 will give you a zoom of 101 (1 is 1% if 100). If you wanted to increase a layer's zoom from 33 to 34 using a modifier, the modifier value is 3.03. Increasing a value of 25 to 25.5? The modifier is 2 (2% of 25 is 0.5). The drawback is that you can't specify a a specific keyframe (it's in pairs of keyframes). But, at least you'll know exactly what your value of zoom is.

The rotation is the same thing, kind of. Except that modifiers refer to a rotation in terms of % of 360 degrees (if you wanted to know exactly what the rotation value is; 90 is a modifier of 25; 180 is a modifier of 50, etc). Same limitations as noted above tho.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:56 pm

Just popping in to say it irritates the petunias out of me that it doesn't display decimal values.

That's it. That's all I wanted to say. Leaving now.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby heckydog » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:20 pm

It irritates me too, about 93.58% of the time.

Joe

Postby im42n8 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:06 pm

This shows an "alternative" way of changing the zoom of a layer by a very small amount ... and letting you know how much of a change it is. You can use a constant value modifier to do it.

This article explains the theory behind it and how to calculate it. Hope you find it useful!

http://fpvp.wordpress.com/modifiers-2/s ... ased-zoom/

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:28 pm

Good one, Dale. What I'll have to do is write down the equation in a couple versions, doing it in "English" so that, 3 months from now, I'll know just what I'm doing. That isn't a criticism of you; instead, it's a criticism of me. Reading through, I understood your explanation, but I know me: I won't remember how it works.

Thank you!

Barbara

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:39 pm

OK, here's my "English":

Modifier = ((EndZoom-StartZoom) / StartZoom) * 100

Is that correct?

Barbara

Postby im42n8 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:40 pm

Yes. I think I have that very formula in one of my other articles (not in the one referenced tho... not yet).

Note that if the modifier value is a
• Negative number (less than zero), then the zoom value will decrease.
• Positive number (greater than zero), then the zoom value will increase.

For negative numbers you would enter a positive number in the Constant value box and then change it from an add value to a subtract value (or just enter the number as a negative number in Contant value box. For instance, -3.25).

Dale

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:22 am

I've now written the formula in my "for-keeps" notebook, which is my memory replacement. This isn't something we'd probably use on a regular basis, but I've had situations where it would have helped enormously.

Thanks, Dale!

Barbara

Postby im42n8 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:59 am

Thanx Barbara.

I use both methods (fractional in the box or a modifier). Both have their own inherent advantages and disadvantages.

Also, with the fractional entry, you get to see what you entered right away (in the preview screen). With modifiers however, you have to scrub or play the slide before you can see the result of your entry.

Dale

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:16 am

I've been using the fractional method, but the problem is that the fraction disappears even though it's honored. Later on I'm likely to have forgotten the exact fraction, and if I need to edit, I'm pretty much starting back at square one. At least with the modifier method, the number doesn't change. We can see the precise amount.

Barbara

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks