Ghosting a photo in Producer

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Ghosting a photo in Producer

Postby min » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:55 am

Hope I have put this in the correct category.
This week from Photodex I received an article - Free Fall & Halloween Effects. I had a quick look and found 2 examples on Ghosting a Photo - One was a photo of 3 children and the other a photo of a boy. I had to sign out and when I came back to the article I have been unable to find the article with the 3 children, have found the photo of the boy & I have clicked on the link but there is nothing to explain how this technique is down. Can anyone help me - maybe someone also saw it, or someone has used this technique and possibly could explain to me how to do it. I am working on a Family History show, and thought it would be an interesting theme to use for one or two photos. Thank you so much :lol:
Shirley

Re: Ghosting a photo in Producer

Postby im42n8 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:09 am

"Ghosting," as I understand it, is nothing more than having multiple copies of the same image/layer separated in time and distance (position) while each has its opacity varied while a blur is being applied. At the same time the image and its duplicates are moving (via pan and/or some version of rotation being applied: tilt horizontal, tilt vertical, or rotation). There are a variety of techniques you can use but, the "ghosting" typically occurs once the image's motion begins. Then, the duplicates (ghosts) appear behind the main image ... they move with the main image and either move to catch up (eventually) or get further behind. The blur and opacity changes can get more or get less intense ... whatever makes sense relative to the visual effect you're trying to create. It's not that hard to create but, it may take a little while initially to figure out exactly how you want to do it so that it works with your show's theme.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby dsprincis » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:52 am

Postby debngar » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:35 am

The link describes using a photo editor to create this technique. It can also be done all in Producer by layering the two photos on top of each other. Place the one with the people in it on top, reduce the opacity and use the colorize tool to make them both sepia colored. I believe Gold lacks the opacity slider, so Gold users would have to resort to using a photo editor to get the same results. :)
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby im42n8 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:49 am

I've already stated the basics for "ghosting" in Producer ... But, changing the color of the image and/or its duplicates using the Colorize, Black Point, and/or the White Point are simply additional tweaks to the approach that you can utilize in figuring out how you want the effect to look.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).

Postby debngar » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:19 am

im42n8 wrote:"Ghosting," as I understand it, is nothing more than having multiple copies of the same image/layer separated in time and distance (position) while each has its opacity varied while a blur is being applied. At the same time the image and its duplicates are moving (via pan and/or some version of rotation being applied: tilt horizontal, tilt vertical, or rotation). There are a variety of techniques you can use but, the "ghosting" typically occurs once the image's motion begins. Then, the duplicates (ghosts) appear behind the main image ... they move with the main image and either move to catch up (eventually) or get further behind. The blur and opacity changes can get more or get less intense ... whatever makes sense relative to the visual effect you're trying to create. It's not that hard to create but, it may take a little while initially to figure out exactly how you want to do it so that it works with your show's theme.

Dale

im42n8 wrote:I've already stated the basics for "ghosting" in Producer ... But, changing the color of the image and/or its duplicates using the Colorize, Black Point, and/or the White Point are simply additional tweaks to the approach that you can utilize in figuring out how you want the effect to look.

Dale

That is another kind of display of images.

The one in the link that dsprincis was so kind to share involves a see-through effect by use of two images that do not move and are not blurred.
Debbie

Postby im42n8 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:27 am

Ghosting doesn't require movement but Photodex's implementation did. You don't have to use blur. You don't have to colorize either. Both are aspects of the technique and theme. So too then, would be motion.

Dale

Postby debngar » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:43 am

im42n8 wrote:Ghosting doesn't require movement but Photodex's implementation did. You don't have to use blur. You don't have to colorize either. Both are aspects of the technique and theme. So too then, would be motion.

Dale

There's nothing wrong with the effect described in your post Dale. :) It was just different than the effect that the original thread poster was describing in the link they saw through Photodex's Pinterest account.

http://www.pinterest.com/photodex/hallo ... -projects/

Specifically, these two pins....

First this one, referred to by the original poster, which did not have any instructions attached to it.
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/239816748881208740/

And then this one, also described in detail by the original poster, which is linked to the indestructibles.com website that includes instructions, which dsprincis shared.
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/239816748878990863/

The demo didn't have those pictures of those children in it.
Debbie

Postby debngar » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:06 am

Because Shirley describes her photos as historical in nature, it could be they will not match up easily, if at all. If that's the case, a photo editor would be the best option for cutting the persons out of one photo entirely if placing them in a different scene. The layering could be done in the photo editor to make one image, or the photo with the cut out saved as a separate png image file with transparent background and both images layered in Producer.

The technique described on the invincible.com website describes a staged scene, photographed one right after the other. Using a tripod is ideal so the camera doesn't move, the two stacked images line up and the people in it look realistically translucent and ghost-like.
Debbie

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:29 am

Are you referring to examples in the video they have as a demo of the Halloween effects on their blog? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So1Q3zu7 ... ploademail

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby min » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:39 pm

Firstly thank you so much everyone for your replies, yes dsprincis you found the picture and article I couldn't find yesterday. I'm glad I hadn't imagined I saw it! I appreciate the advise from many of you using Producer to create this effect - I don't have photoshop - so will work through all of your comments and hopeful can produce something for my Family History show. Sorry for the delay in replying to everyone - I was asleep - in Australia I sleep whilst most of you are awake. Thank you all so much.
Shirley

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:23 pm

Not a problem - we have a number of Aussie and Kiwi friends here as well as quite a few from the UK and even places like Israel :D We usually manage to cross paths sometime in a 24 hour period.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby cherub » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:39 am

gpsmikey wrote:Not a problem - we have a number of Aussie and Kiwi friends here as well as quite a few from the UK and even places like Israel :D We usually manage to cross paths sometime in a 24 hour period.
mikey

The members located in Israel, are pretty good at troubleshooting people from Australia, in real time :D
I was reading this thread, and wondering about the effect itself.
Looks pretty spooky to me :D
It may be a nice effect to play with in Halloween shows, but.... in a memorial show ?

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks