How do I imitate camera movements?

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
Esteemed Member

How do I imitate camera movements?

Postby jacktar » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:36 am

Hi again out there. This time the question is about camera movements. The story is: I have a photo of an old building from the outside, and some pictures from the inside of the building. I want to create the illusion that we are "walking through the door and into the building. I guess that cane be done by "Cutting out" the door on the first photo, and put the "interior" photo behind it as a layer, Then comes the question. I can of course zoom in on the dorway, but I want to give the illusion of camera "movement" like the camera is on a crane or a doley, this gives a much more realistic look, but how can it be done?
Best regards
Jacktar

Re: How do I imitate camera movements?

Postby im42n8 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:39 am

Good luck doing that with any ProShow product. I have a pretty fair facility with Producer and have played with this concept a few times. I'm not at all pleased with the results ... even with the new tilt feature. Any such attempt is going to be a pale imitation of the real thing. If you want a more realistic product, you're going to have to use a 3rd party product such as AE, ProAnimator, or even Bluff Titler. Otherwise, just make the compromises of zooming in on the doorway and fading it away to "reveal" what's behind it ... or do the same for a window. ProShow simply can't do it . . . camera-like movements are NOT in the cards for ProShow anytime soon.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Esteemed Member

Postby jacktar » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:59 am

Tank you for the information Dale :-) Do you have any idea if this could be done like an animation in photoshop ?

Postby im42n8 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:10 pm

Not unless you want to spend a lot of time in it and you also need PS Extended . . . but, I'm not sure if it would actually provide you with what you want. If you're a guru with PS already, the 3D capabilities of CS6 (or CS5) might get you close to what you are looking for. Hard to say. You're supposed to be able to edit and create video in CS6 Extended ... so, it's possible that you could create what you need in it. However, I haven't played with that stuff yet and so can't say for sure. I think it's possible tho...

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).

Esteemed Member

Postby jacktar » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:40 pm

Thanks again Dale. Maybe there is somebody out there who knows how this cane be done in a relatively easy way.

Postby debngar » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:48 pm

I've played with this concept some using Producer, but the results just so so. The best results seem to come from images that have strong leading lines and objects in foreground, middleground and background across the scene.

Here's a member that posted an attempt at simulating perspective with movement back in 2007. It wasn't done all with Producer however. In addition to using broken x/y zoom, tilt and rotation, changing the rotation center helps the look. I don't think there's a perfect recipe for settings for the effect. You'd probably have to experiment some to see what works for your particular image.

Best to read Dave's entire posts in the thread to understand what he did.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10853&p=88321&hilit=perspective#p88289

Take a peek at Dave Fitzpatrick's example of Perspective:
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 2826&alb=0

In the end, you may prefer using a different product with those specific capabilities to achieve the best results.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby texan » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:27 pm

Jacktar:

Here's two suggestions you might consider; depending on how elegant you want this "entry" from outside the house
into a room, or two inside the house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Dfd9vjiK-k

The above link will take you to a virtual tour of a home for sale..........about 50 seconds into the proshow "video" I sort of simulate going from outside the house into the front hall way......
It's not very elegant; but it's cost effective and can be done within PSP...............

Now....if you want elegance at a cost of less than $100 you can now purchase an iphone controlled hover craft (A drone) that carries a small camera..........
Walla....you can fly into the house and then fly from room to room. I've seen this in action and it works........

There are companies emerging that will create a virtual tour for high end homes totally created with a drone.

Hope this helps....
Texan

Postby heckydog » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:09 pm

The best results would be achieved with a 3D (or 2.5D) program. Even using a sophisticated program like After Effects, the tricky part is getting the right focal length, perspective, scale, and depth of field. As you zoom in on the exterior it needs to blur out as you enter the interior, and the interior needs to come into focus. It's not done automatically, you have to play with it to make it look right.

I know AE can do it, not sure if photoshop or BluffTitler has those capabilities as far as the DOF is concerned. I can give it a try with AE if you want to send me the 2 photos. If you want to, send me a PM with a link to the photos.

Joe

Esteemed Member

Postby jacktar » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:56 am

Thanks to allof you out there :-) If we take a look at the first part of the "film" in the link below, wouldnt that be a step in the right direction ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOc-BzQ-WwU

Postby im42n8 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:10 am

Nice effect but it's not what you think.

Well, the beginning of that demo is 3 graphics: the image on the left, the image on the right, and the hallway image. Then, there's the impression that all 3 were zoomed together in a coordinated zoom. I don't think so.

I believe they used the final image and and cropped out the images from the walls . . . these two crops became the ImageRowLeft and ImageRowRight images. These two cropped images were then place on the slide. Now, ImageRowLeft and ImageRowRight were probably also placed on a transparent background (in PhotoShop or the like) such that its size exactly matched the original (final) image. That makes resizing and proper placement much less problematic. You will notice the switch from separate images to the final image at 0:51s.

So, the end product was the 3rd image ... which was then zoomed in on. By them placing the wall images on the slide at a different time than the "hallway," they made you think you were seeing something completely different. You weren't really traversing a hallway at all .... simply increasing the size of the final image while keeping the "focal point" of the image's interest in the top 3rd of the screen (or so).

Nifty trick but it was a simple flat image on which they were fooling you with. Yes, this is one way to do it ... but that's not really what you sounded like you wanted. Still, it'll work for certain circumstances.

Dale

Esteemed Member

Postby jacktar » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:50 am

Thank you Dale. I want to give the illusion that we are moving in space ( moving the camera) , and not only enlarge the immage by zooming in on the dorway. This ofcourse have to be an illusion. To create this illusion I guess we have to work with things like layers that is "Zoomed" in different speed ( like foreground, middleground and background) . One of the reasons that I am asking about this is that I want to understand how close we can get with proshow and a photo editing program like for example photoshop only. I know there is spesial 3D programs to do this, but I am not going to make a 3D movie, I would only like to achieve this effect once in a while in my slideshows made with proshow producer without spending monts on learning a new program. There are so many talented people out there that I am convinced that there is someone who can solve ( or allready have solved) the "problem", so all comments, advice or tips on how to solve this will be very helpfull.
Best regards
jacktar

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks