Organizing for ProShow with Adobe Elements?

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Gold. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.

Organizing for ProShow with Adobe Elements?

Postby tdew » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:41 am

Hi all,
After years of using Photo Impact for my editing, I'm moving to Adobe Elements and want to make use of the organizer as well. It's going to take a long, long time to get all the photos tagged and set, but I want to check with some of you ProShow users before getting too involved with it. How do you use the organizer?

The users of Elements organizer on their forum insist that there's no need to ever access the photos from outside the organizer, but I don't see that. I feel I do have to have some control of where my photos are stored and how they are named.

Usually, when I'm going to make a slide show or have a book printed, I copy the photos I'll use into a new folder for that purpose. Once inside ProShow, I select the new folder as the spot to look for photos. Am I missing something? Is there a better way?

Re: Organizing for ProShow with Adobe Elements?

Postby trulytango » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:45 am

Hi there

Do you have Elements 8.o ? Reason I ask is that it has a neat People Recognition feature - might come in useful if you're starting from scratch with hundreds of images to tag. Here's a video showing how it works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtV_APvGUt0

Regards
Iris
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby tdew » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:59 am

Hi Iris,
Yes, it is Elements 8 and the face recognition thing was really impressing me. Then I started reading about the problems it develops as time goes on, so I turned it off for now.
I think part of my problem is that I've got a lot of little ones who keep growing and changing.

I'm still renaming my pictures before I bring them in from a camera and am still putting them into named folders.
Little by little I'm bringing groups of photos from the hard drive into the organizer and then tagging them before moving on to the next batch. It helps that I've got them named and sorted.

What I'm wondering though is whether anyone here uses the organizer to select the photos for a show and what the work flow is if they do.

Postby AlleycatLA » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:37 pm

While I don't use Adobe Elements (or Gold), I can comment on work flow. The thing that has helped me most was adding a second monitor. It doesn't have to be fancy! I run ProShow on monitor #1, and Adobe Bridge on monitor #2. I can find resources in Bridge with all of it's organizational tools and just drag them to ProShow. This should work with any graphic "library" type program such as IrfanView, not just Bridge. I don't use the ProShow file browser. The second screen is very helpful for displaying the slide interface, and great for full screen previews. It's hard to return to single screen computing after having a dual screen setup for a while!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:11 pm

tdew wrote:...Usually, when I'm going to make a slide show or have a book printed, I copy the photos I'll use into a new folder for that purpose. Once inside ProShow, I select the new folder as the spot to look for photos. Am I missing something? Is there a better way?...

Nope, you're not missing a thing. Different, sure, better--doubtful. That's the way most of us arrange things. Keep all the pieces of a show together and you'll see the "missing files" dialog a lot less often.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby xekester » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:40 am

FWIW - I use the PSE Organizer for virtually all access to my photos. I import all photos from my cameras / memory cards directly into the organizer. The organizer allows you to control the directory location and also the filenames to be used for the import. I do use 2 monitors for my workflow. I have Producer open on my main monitor, and my source programs (Organizer, Itunes, etc.) open on the second monitor. I drag and drop from the source programs directly into Producer. After a show is reasonably complete, I use the "Collect Show File" capability to gather all of the show files (pictures, music, video, etc.) into a single location along with the proshow files. Not sure if Gold has the Collect Files function or not, perhaps someone with Gold can chime in here. You could still manually collect the files yourself.

Hope this helps,
Xekester

Valued Member

Postby DonM » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:44 am

This is how I use Photoshop elements with Proshow.
Create an Album and name it for the show
Select photos from organizer and move into album
Select album order option as display option
Drag pictures into order desired
Select all pictures to be transferred to Proshow
Drag selected items to Proshow they will be placed in the order of the album.
NOTE: Albums don’t change the location of the original picture and Albums will
Be retained as long as desired. It is also possible to create Album trees for example where an Album is needed as a subset of the main album (think grouping for placement in a particular slide among many)

Don

Postby tdew » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:26 am

I gave up on Elements. I just cannot keep from moving files on my own and ended up with corrupted albums that couldn't be opened after I'd spent a crazy amount of time putting tags on my pictures. I'm back to using Picasa for tagging and now have started using IrfanView to organize.

I guess we each just have to find what works best for us.

Valued Member

Postby DonM » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:46 am

Yes, I understand. With elements you have to move the pictures from within elements for it to keep its database up to date. However it will find other moves if you let it search.

When I have moved whole groups of photo's without using the elements program and it offers to let me find them it will update all of the missing photos in that new location after you locate the first.

I am providing the above information for others who may be following the thread and do not know that these moves can be corrected in this way.

Don

Postby Diane48 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:52 pm

I am so glad this topic has come up. When I had earlier versions of Producer I could drag and drop from Adobe Elements. Since having Producer 4.5 I have been unable to do this. I thought maybe I was getting forgetful and had never used the feature in previous versions or else the drag and drop was no longer available. Since reading this post I have tried again and still am unable to drag and drop. What am I doing wrong and what should I do to rectify my settings? This has had me puzzled and frustrated since 4.5 came out and all the time I thought the feature was no longer available. I have Adobe Elements 9.
I look forward to someone's expert help and really look forward to being able to drag and drop in the future!! :D

Cheers, Diane

Valued Member

Postby DonM » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:54 am

I have version 4.0 and I based my information on that. Sorry that it doesn't work with 4.5

Don

Return to PSG - Third Party Applications