Editing Video

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Gold. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.
DAVIDR

Editing Video

Postby DAVIDR » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:37 pm

I am doing a show with photos from my son's wedding. I am thinking about incorporating moments from a digital "video" made of the ceremony... basically - moments where there was a lot of "action". The digital video is about an hour long... way too long for the show. I just want several snippets to get some motion in the presentation. What would be the best way to edit down the video to get a few pieces? For photos I linked Proshow to Adobe Photoshop Elements. For editing audio (music) I used Audacity (thanks to a recommendation I got on this forum). But right now I have nothing for editing video. Should I get separate video editing software to "cut out" "clips I want, or does Proshow Gold have this basic tool already? I have not yet attempted to incorporate video into a show, so any advice will be welcome.

Re: Editing Video

Postby heckydog » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:49 pm

I would recommend you get a video editor. If you don't plan on doing a lot of editing there are several consumer level programs you can buy. Most are around $100, some a little less, some a little more depending on how carefully you shop. Some choices would be Premiere Elements by Adobe, Pinnacle Studio, Sony Vegas maybe ( I forget :oops: )

The other thing is what format is this digital video that you have? Is it a dvd or is it raw video? Some programs handle dvd video better than others. The preferred format is usually an uncompressed or minimally compressed avi format just because its easier to work with.

Joe

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pilotdan63 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:17 pm

In addition to the video editing programs that you have to pay for there are many excellent free alternatives. I have a number of them installed on my computer and have used several over the years to convert and edit video clips for my ProShow productions.

My current "FAV" is the free video converter from iWisoft. This excellent and easy to use video editor is capable of converting a plethora of video files and incorporates powerful video editing functions which include: crop, trim, merge, adding a watermark and special effects. Here's where you can download your free copy (click on the download link at the bottom of the page): http://www.easy-video-converter.com/

Be sure and read "what customers say" on the right side of the page as well as the program features and no . . . I am not affiliated with iWsoft in any way.

I hope this information helps and oh yes . . . did I say . . . FREE :-)

Dan

Postby kayone » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:54 am

DavidR,

I recently had the same question and I found my answer on here, Microsoft has a simple but terrific program (and it is free) called Microsoft Movie Maker. Lots of video online at Youtube to show how simple it is to use. Give it a try and I think you will like it.

Vic
kayone

Postby alsal » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:37 am

Maybe I am looking at this too simply, but couldn't you use the video trimmer that is on ProShow Gold? I recently completed a slide show for my daughter's field hockey team and I wanted to use a very short video clip at the beginging of the show. I had some game footage that I had taken using an older Digital 8 video camera taht was about 45 mins. long that I had converted to an avi file previously (I used Adobe Elements) and when I was putting together the slide show I used the video trimmer to make my 1 min. video clip from that 45 min. avi file. Couldn't you use the trimmer to make shorter clips from your 1 hour video or is the trimmer too cumbersome for doing that?

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby hardsoftware » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:32 am

The video trimmer in Proshow is ok if your video clips are already pretty close in length to what you want to use. You can trim off what you don't need as long as the clips are of manageble length.

However if you are trying to use a 2 minute clip from a 1 or 2 hour video then using the video trimmer in proshow is asking for trouble. Edit your video to manageable clips first BEFORE you even put it in proshow.

The reason is this. If you insert a video that is considerably longer than what you intend to use in the show, and if you use the trimmer to trim off the excess, then proshow has to render ALL that unused video first and then figure out where you trimmed it. It is a big waste of time and computer resources.

It works the same for audio, Don't stick in a 20 minute audio/music track if you only need 2 minutes of it. Use audacity and trim it reasonably close to the length leaving enough material to work with to do fades ins and fade outs which you can do within Proshow.

Ben
PSG, & Producer 3,4 and 5. Photo Editing: PS Elements 2.0 & 5.0, Premier Elements 3.0,

PHOTODEX GALLERY: http://www.photodex.com/share/hardsoftware
UnEmployed, and getting pretty good at it!
Facebook look for Ben R. Baca.

Postby Plee » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:43 am

I recently started showing interest for video editing... I usually use only VideoDub as it is simple, but I guess I need to make a step forward...
Thanks so much, I learned many useful things from your posts!

Esteemed Member

Postby glyn53 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:15 am

For $59 you can purchase 7 software programs which are very useful. You get a video converter, video editor, dvd copy, image converter, audio converter, audio editor, and a document converter. I got them and the video editor is excellent.

http://www.avsmedia.com/buy.aspx

Hope this helps

Glyn

Return to PSG - Third Party Applications